Who's running their first 5K this wkd? (10/29-30)

Options
Hi all,

I am running my first 5K this Sat, 10/29. I am nervous and excited. It is outdoors, will be 40'F at race time. Chilly! I didn't really research the race, just knew it was near my house, and then after registering and looking at last year's results, came to realize it is a pretty competitive race. Ack! So, I may be last, but at least I will have done it, right?

So I am wondering who else is potentially doing their first 5K this wkd, and how you are feeling, how you are training, etc? I figure it'd be nice to have a little support group, and then post our times once we complete our races.

Who's with me?

Replies

• mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well, i'm not doing my first, but my third. I'm trying to do one every month. My first one was scary and i just wanted to make it over the finish line in less than 40 mins. The second one I just wanted to run the whole thing, didn't matter what the time was. This one I'm trying to stay under 30 mins and I think I can do it because I've been training under around 28mins. But this weekend is the Monster Dash. My friend and I are dressing up in house coats and putting curlers in our hair so we'll see how that affects the run. Anyway, I hope you'll have a good time. Try not to worry about all the other runners. Set your own goal and go for it!!!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been running about 36 minutes, which I feel is decent, but when I looked up results from last year, out of 84 participants, only 4 were over 36 minutes, and one of them was a 5 year old. Hahaha. So I am preparing myself to be toward the end of the pack. I guess I would like my time to be in the 35-36 minute range.
  • watergirl626
    Options
    No one?
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

I'm running on Saturday too - first time. I'm crazy excited and of course nervous too. I've been working out steadily this year and started C25K in mid-August...just finished W6D2 yesterday. Prior to C25K I never ran before. Ever.

Ran the distance this past Sunday - so I know I can do it. :drinker:

I didn't think I would be doing a 5K this soon - but what the heck? Will probably do another on Thanksgiving.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5k this Sunday. It seems to be a fairly laid back 'race' which is good. I have no idea what time I might get but probably around 45mins. My main aim is to run the whole thing without walking.

Before August this year I'd never run, anywhere, ever... so this is a massive challenge!

Good luck to everyone. Let's post here afterwards! :)
  • watergirl626
    Options
    Scapz, do you plan on resting the day before the 5K?

I am doing some strength training today, but then resting tomorrow. Went running yesterday with 2 coworkers. Didn't run as far (~2.5 miles), but we ran at an avg pace of 11:11 per mile, which is a full minute faster than I am used to. Kicked my butt!

Leila, I hear you on having never run before. I had never run before June. I started C25K then, had to put it off to wait for running shoes to arrive, sprained an ankle, got a foot injury. It's been a long long road for me to complete this 9-week program, but I'm here! :-)
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5K on Sunday.

I injured my calf last weekend, so I've been taking it easy this week. I have been doing lots of stretching and ran 2 miles on Tuesday, did 3 this morning, and will probably do a very light 2 miles tomorrow (running with my 8 year old while my 5 year old rides her bike). I'll take Saturday off.

I'm nervous, just because I don't know what to expect other than get in the pack and run! LOL

I'm hoping to finish in about 37 minutes. I'm sloooow, but have been able to get my time down to just under 12 minute miles.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    @watergirl - Pretty much...I did my last bit of running for the week on Tuesday. I'll be doing a little bit of exercise Friday morning but nothing crazy. Really looking forward to Saturday! Like leliaphoenix said, my aim is to run the entire day w/ no walking. That..and I don't want to come in dead last!!!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 4th on Saturday. Trying to run one per month also.
    Don't worry about finishing last, very small chance of that happening. You will most likely do better than you think.
    Just go out and have fun.

Be prepared to get addicted. :-)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Running my second Saturday Night. Can't wait!

I am pushing for a sub 30, we'll see.

Good Luck Everyone!
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to see your results, good luck to you all!:happy: I have my first 5k in 2 weeks, I am very nervous!!
  • watergirl626
    Options
    T-3.5 hours for me! Gonna make some eggs for breakfast, drink up on water all morning, probably have a greek yogurt at 8:30 (T-1.5).

Good luck to everyone running today! You've got this!
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    bump to hear results.
  • watergirl626
    Options
    Oh.dear.lord. Well, I did it, and I even ran the whole way, even though it was incredibly slow at times, and I didn't come in last - 2 people came in after me. But holy cow, it was all up and down on hilly pasture land, running on lumpy uneven grass. It was soooo hard! I mean, I've been running outside, but on trails, and with very gradual slopes, nothing steep like this was. I just felt lucky to finish. I guess that means the next one will seem easy in comparison, right? I asked the two gals who came in after me if this was their first race. They said, no, yours? And when I said yes they both chuckled and said, this is a *hard* first race.

Results aren't officially posted yet, but I came in somewhere right around 38. Not bad, considering I've been just over 36 while training, you know, without the hills and lumpy ground.
  • hedkell
    Options
    Well done and congrats on your first race!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Well I did it too!

It was a nice race - only about 100 people and a relatively flat route round a reservoir. I was beside a 10 year old girl most of the way round which was a good incentive and I had a burst of speed at 500m to go to make sure I was not beaten by the child. Lol.

I came in at 34 minutes. Very happy!
  • hedkell
    Options
    Well done to you too! 34 is a good time, congrats!!
  • watergirl626
    Options
    Great job Leila. I was just ahead of an elderly man most of the way, but he passed me toward the end. lol. Ah well. At least now I have a goal to beat for next time. :-)
  • hedkell
    Options
    Well, I finally did mine too. I did in in 32.13, I was so excited. I came 269th out of 746 people. Signed up for my 2nd one in 4 weeks time!