Swimming calories burned

Options
I just entered 50 minutes of swimming (and 30 minutes of cycling). This was the outcome:

Swimming, breaststroke, general 50 min
Bicycling, 12-14 mph, moderate (cycling, biking, bike riding) 30 min

Is that really true or is MFP exaggerating? It's hard for me to believe that swimming for 50 min makes you burn 657 kcal.

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    why not just put in half, better to be under than over

:smile:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a full body exercise (and because you are less likely to overheat in the water, many people 'work' harder here. Perceived exertion is less.) and you're showing 20 minutes more than the biking, which is only working your lower half and some core muscles.

Sounds about right to me.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    In an hour on the elliptical I burn around 650-800 calories on my HRM depending on which level I do. In an hour of swimming, MFP estimates 900-1000 calories (my HRM won't work in the pool).

With that said, I think 900-1000 is a bit high, but not crazy high. I am a former competitive swimmer and can push myself much more in the pool than I can on land, so I likely burn 800ish in an hour.

I think you just have to estimate based on your effort - if your HR gets to 130 in the pool, you probably aren't burning the 600+ cals, but if you get to 180 or 190 like I do regularly (on intervals, not for the entire hour) then I think the 600+ is possible.

Just my two cents based on my experience - I'm no expert!
  • Bosbes
    Bosbes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thank you papastu, baisleac and emswanson :)