I hate the taste of yogurt, but

I would really love to eat it. Everywhere I look I'm reading or seeing or hearing how good yogurt is for you, and I would really love to be able to add it to my daily intake. I WANT to like yogurt...the problem is that I HATE it! The sour taste combined with the texture (I am really texture-fixated when it comes to foods, doesn't matter how good something tastes if the texture bugs me, I can't eat it...) make it impossible for me to enjoy. I've tried plain, I've tried the fruit-flavoured, I've tried the ones with real fruit...I can't stand any of it.

The texture bugs me so much that even when I have a smoothie from Booster Juice, I have it made without the yogurt, because I can't drink it with that slimy texture in there.

Do you guys have any recommendations for me?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Yogurt is good for you, but it's no better than a thousand other foods. If you don't like it, don't eat it. It is not mandatory for weight loss or health.
  • wyangel
    wyangel Posts: 36
    I have a texture problem with food, too! I can't stand yogurt, oatmeal especially, etc. But if it has some texture to it I can do it. I like to add lowfat granola to yogurt and then I can eat it. There is nothing that makes oatmeal better, for me. But I grew up on grits and so I love them. I know, I'm odd. :wink:
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Try some of the other milk yogurts, like sheep, goat, and soy. Also try greek yogurt. The textures and tastes are all slightly different. Also, like tseeka said, mixing granola in your yogurt could help. I do that anyway but not because I don't like yogurt. Sometimes I mix seeds/nuts in plain yogurt for a less sweet snack, maybe a small drizzle of honey if I want just a bit of sweet. Sunflower and flax seeds, almonds and cashews, whatever I have on hand. You can also use yogurt in place of mayo or salad dressing if you're looking for a way to get it in without eating it.

But there are many other foods that provide similar benefits if yogurt really isn't your thing.