painting

Options
I don't normally log little activities through out the day, but I am redecorating my home gym and therefore do not have the time and/or opportunity to work out. But the other day when I was moving furniture and painting I was working up a decent sweat....since that will be my work out for the next few days, I was curious how much I burned. I do plan on wearing my HRM when I paint tonight, but does anyone know if painting is in the database? I tried a few searches and cannot find anything.

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log any of it as exercise. Personally. That's cheating yourself.

I can sweat sitting still if it's warm enough, doesn't make it worth counting.

I know, I'm an *kitten*.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You could log it as light cleaning maybe....
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned-painting

I always google things that are not on the MFP site. This site should be able to caculate the calories.:smile:
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you go to the list of workouts, cleaning, vigorous cleaning and moving furniture are all listed.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I know, I'm an *kitten*.

Not really...I mean, moving furniture and painting (believe it or not, using a roller made my arm pretty tired, plus I'm fat so any exertion makes my heart rate get up) isn't something I do on a daily basis, and why would it matter if I burn 100 calories from going on a walk, or from redecorating my gym?
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I would count it. The other day I hauled firewood into the house for an hour. I recorded it as "moving boxes" or something like that in the database. If you legitimately feel like you are working, go for it. I always err on the side of caution though. If 2 sites give you two different calorie counts, use the lower one. Better to think you burned less, than thinking you burned more and end up eating back too many "exercise" calories. (Hello run-on sentence ..)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I know, I'm an *kitten*.

Not really...I mean, moving furniture and painting (believe it or not, using a roller made my arm pretty tired, plus I'm fat so any exertion makes my heart rate get up) isn't something I do on a daily basis, and why would it matter if I burn 100 calories from going on a walk, or from redecorating my gym?

I agree with you - I would count it. It's not the same as saying, "I clean my house all the time and never count it, but because I can't workout this week - I'm going to count it." And you're right... when you're overweight and have been pretty sedentary... everything you do DOES get your heart pumping! Wear your heart rate monitor and see what it says.

Post pictures of your exercise room when you're done! How fun!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I know, I'm an *kitten*.

I agree with you - I would count it. It's not the same as saying, "I clean my house all the time and never count it, but because I can't workout this week - I'm going to count it." And you're right... when you're overweight and have been pretty sedentary... everything you do DOES get your heart pumping! Wear your heart rate monitor and see what it says.

Post pictures of your exercise room when you're done! How fun!

Will do! I'm hoping once the gym area is nice a pretty I will want to go down there and work out, lol. I'm starting to second guess the color a little (purple) so hopefully it turns out nice.

That's the ONLY good thing about being fat. When I was at my skinniest I'd work out pretty hard and not burn much since I was in better shape, but now I barely have to spend anytime at the gym since I burn so much more at this weight.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I know, I'm an *kitten*.

Like I said. I'm an *kitten*. I find it unrealistic and silly to count something like painting.

My opinion, that's all.

I don't count anything unless it's actual exercise. At least I know I'm not cheating myself.