What are your best "Fat Burning" exercises ?

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
Greetings -

I know you cannot target a specific area of the body to loose the fat and that fat loss comes only as result of total fat reductions in both diet and excerise. *if there was one just for my stomach/abdominal area - I'd be doing it for sure :-)

*** So . . . What are your best "Fat Burning" excersises? What works best for you? ***

I am currently using an elliptical machine (2x /week) and also attend spin class (3x /week) for my cardio. I also use a fitness/strenght program to build muscle (3x /week). I'm just wondering if there is something else and/or different I could be doing.

Thank you for all of your suggestions !!!!

MDLNH

Replies

• korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I do everything at home, so I really enjoy the zumba and cardio jam videos as well as my elliptical! (used to do pilates videos, been thinking about re-introducing them...haven't done in a few years, so don't remember if I enjoyed them or not)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Greetings -

I know you cannot target a specific area of the body to loose the fat and that fat loss comes only as result of total fat reductions in both diet and excerise. *if there was one just for my stomach/abdominal area - I'd be doing it for sure :-)

*** So . . . What are your best "Fat Burning" excersises? What works best for you? ***

I am currently using an elliptical machine (2x /week) and also attend spin class (3x /week) for my cardio. I also use a fitness/strenght program to build muscle (3x /week). I'm just wondering if there is something else and/or different I could be doing.

MDLNH
    HITT and Tabata Protocol. While you don't burn alot when you do them, your resting metabolic rate goes up and you burn more fat at rest. And you spend more time resting than exercising.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    sprint interval training (see my workout blog below for more details on what that involves).
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I believe the key for "fat burning" is to keep your heart rate in that zone no matter what you are doing. . for me, my fat burning zone is pretty low (obviously lower than cardio and anaerobic zones.) I usually aim for longer, lower intensity exercises for that. A walk on a mild incline, elliptical and a bike with mild resistance will keep me in my fat burning zone. .

I once had a trainer tell me that calories burned is just that, calories burned, no matter how you do it. Whether it takes 20 minutes or an hour and 20 minutes, you'll get results. If I only have a short amount of time at the gym I will do high intensity stuff like sprints on the treadmill, tabata drills, etc. If I have a longer time to spend I will focus on longer, lower intensity stuff.

Have you ever had your "zones" determined? It has helped me a lot!

Kerri
  • angel013183
    angel013183 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're on the right track with working out. One thing that I am doing and seeing immediate results from, is a bootcamp class at my gym. It combines cardio with intense non stop circuit training for 45 min (bench jumps, squats with weights, running with weighted balls, lunges with weights, push-ups, kettle ball exercises, burpees, etc..). I do that 3 days a week and workout on my own 2 days out of the week doing cardio on an elliptical. If you can find something like this I highly recommend it. IT has been one of the fastest ways Ive seen for a transformation in my body. Along with counting my calories of course. :) Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba!!!
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Greetings -

MDLNH
    HITT and Tabata Protocol. While you don't burn alot when you do them, your resting metabolic rate goes up and you burn more fat at rest. And you spend more time resting than exercising.

The contribution from EPOC is trivial.

"There is absolutely no doubt that higher intensity activity generates a larger EPOC, as measured by the percentage contribution. But like the fact that low intensity cardio burns a greater percentage of fat than higher intensity, this is misleading. 14% of a smaller calorie burn may still be smaller than 7% of a much larger burn. At the end of the day, outside of extremely unrealistic levels of exercise, the basic fact is that the absolute magnitude of the EPOC simply doesn’t amount to very much in the first place. One interval study, which found a 14% increase in metabolic rate via EPOC measured an irrelevant 32 calorie afterburn. Yayyy."

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-effects-of-exercise-intensity-and-duration-on-the-excess-post-exercise-oxygen-consumption.html
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    My best fat burning exercise is:

Using MFP to log my food and calculate my calorie intake to ensure I'm eating a calorie deficit under TDEE.

It's a pretty good exercise and it burns alot of fat.
  • jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Running - haven't found anything that beats the caloric burn of a long run.

7980302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Intervals and sprints are my favorite fat burning exercises! Intervals on the treadmill are about 30 minutes. I start with a 5 min warm-up walking at about 4mph at an incline of 5%. I will then do 6-8 rounds of sprinting at a pace of 8-8.5mph for 1 minute (staying at 5% incline), followed by a jog at 6-6.5mph for 2 minutes. Lastly, I'll do a 5 minute cooldown at 3.5mph at a 0% incline.

1-2x/week I will head to a local high school to utilize their track. Here is a sample workout I have done in the past:
    400m jog for warm-up
    100m sprint
    10 jump squats
    100m sprint
    100m walk
    (Repeat last 4 exercises for 8 rounds)
    400m lunges
    10 rounds of bleachers (up and down once equals 1 round)
    100m sprint
    100m jog
    (Repeat last two 4 times)
    400m walk for a cooldown

Time to cut the fat!:smile:
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For my body I found that Insanity did the most to shape my body. Plus, once I got into and my endurance got a bit better I was able to burn 900 or more calories in about 30 minutes (which is way better to me than spending 2 hours on a treadmill). Plus, it incorporated strength exercises into it.

I find I burn more calories with Interval training ( I think I have this right). I really don't like circuit training as much, but I'm trying it because it incorporates weights in with the workout and although I find I love cardio I'm not the best at doing strength training exercises...I don't like going to the gym and having others watch me, plus I don't know if I'm doing them right.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'd bet that someone, somewhere will try to sell you something "magic" but what you're doing sounds pretty good and it's more exercise than I did when I was losing weight.

Building on what another poster has commented, your "exercise" of reducing your caloric intake, logging in to MFP every day, exercising hard and frequently, and recording your weight every day will make you successful!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    The contribution from EPOC is trivial.

"There is absolutely no doubt that higher intensity activity generates a larger EPOC, as measured by the percentage contribution. But like the fact that low intensity cardio burns a greater percentage of fat than higher intensity, this is misleading. 14% of a smaller calorie burn may still be smaller than 7% of a much larger burn. At the end of the day, outside of extremely unrealistic levels of exercise, the basic fact is that the absolute magnitude of the EPOC simply doesn’t amount to very much in the first place. One interval study, which found a 14% increase in metabolic rate via EPOC measured an irrelevant 32 calorie afterburn. Yayyy."

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-effects-of-exercise-intensity-and-duration-on-the-excess-post-exercise-oxygen-consumption.html
    Wasn't referring to EPOC. Was referring into raising RMR. HIIT and Tabata Protocol does raise it.