Sorta dreading halloween

Options
I have a 3 year old and she loves candy (what kid doesn't right?). Anyhow, I am dreading the huge bag of candy she's going to bring into the house from halloween and then shout at me all day that she wants a piece, and then wants more 10 minutes later. I of course give her only one and then tell her that's it. But that doesn't stop her from trying anyhow. It's like someone getting in your face all day going "REESE CUPS, SNICKER BARS, you know you want to eat them!"

I'm seriously keeping like 4 pieces in the house and the rest is getting thrown out or given away. You will not sabatoge me you ornery child!

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    What we have done the last couple of years is allow my 4 kids a set amount of time to eat all they can / want to and then the rest gets thrown out or donated.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    is there anyone besides you who can dole out the candy?
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    And yet, you know next year she'll do it all over again, and the year after...Eventually you won't be able to throw out her candy and then what?

You want to desensatize yourelf to it rather than avoid it. Keep it in the house but restrict yourelf, afterall, what kind of example are you setting to your child if you restrict her intake but can't your own?
  • Paigealicious77
    Paigealicious77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've learned I cannot just eat one! So, I am focusing on not eating any and treating myself with something besides my kid's candy!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Throwing it out, so unfair. Don't punish her for your lack of self discipline. Not trying to be rude here but I can't see how it's very fair to punish someone (especially a child) for your own lack of discipline, in any matter.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have 2 babies that trick or treat and get all kinds of candy. I have learned to limit myself to only a piece or 2 a day (usually in the morning). Therefore, I get my sweet/chocolate fix, but I don't totally kill my day. This is just the start of the holiday season where we are surrounded by sweets for the next 3 months. Willpower will be key, and we will help you.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Last year we gave out sugarfree gum instead of candy. Couldn't believe that the neighborhood kids loved the treat sooo much! Several came back more than once! Doing it again this year and it helps me alot.

My kids now keep what they love and we donate the rest to our synagogue. So many needy kids and families they've heard so it makes them feel good to do it. And it gets the stuff out of the house -yay.

Maybe for a 3 year old you can go to a few houses and then be done so there isn't a candy "pile" in your home??
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Throwing it out, so unfair. Don't punish her for your lack of self discipline. Not trying to be rude here but I can't see how it's very fair to punish someone (especially a child) for your own lack of discipline, in any matter.

First of all, she's 3. She doesn't need to be eating that much candy. I'm not saying I don't have self control. I am very good at having treats in moderation. But I find it stressful to have those sort of things shoved in my face all day long. It's like having to make the same good decision to not eat it 20 times in a row instead of once.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

I agree, holy cow I think I would have run away from home if my parents were so mean! Eating a bunch of candy 1x a year for a healthy, active child is NOT a bad thing.

EDIT: ok she's 3? Then duh, you can't eat a ton of candy at that age. Bad for brain development and teeth. I presumed we were talking about a "child" not a toddler.
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know totally what you mean but you know something? Whats bigger here, your goal or that stupid candy? Sure Id love to sit down and eat a bunch of candy myself but from my experience, you can still have 1 or 2 small pieces of something. Dont deny yourself totally, but it seems as though once you beat temptation a few times, it seems to get easier to do. I like something sweet every once in a while as much as the next person. Its learning to overcome the binging and senseless calories that counts. And with that too, you can kind of learn what sweets are kind of better than others, if that makes sense to you. You can do this! Your better than that stupid candy and your much more worth it too! I know alot of times we hear stuff like this and we may think its corny or whatever you wanna call it. But its all a learning process. Addiction to unhealthy food has been proven to be equal to drug addictions. Alot of people may not want to believe that but its very true and very serious. If it weren't, we wouldnt need shows like Biggest Loser or any kind of education on nutrition and exercise. We would all just eat whats right and forget the rest. Sadly enough its not true. Anyhow, didnt mean to go on and on but on certain levels we're all in the same boat as you are. And of course, by eating better you pass that along to your children too. Good luck to you and God Bless!:happy:
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My husband has made sure we only are giving out candy we enjoy, just in case we have leftovers, wouldn't want candy in tthe house we don't enjoy! I'm fortunate I don't have a sweet tooth, but will have chocolate once in a while. I will be sending all the extra candy to my husbands office (he has a bowl on his desk) and the last few kids to our door will be getting extra pieces!
  • mleoni092708
    Options
    And yet, you know next year she'll do it all over again, and the year after...Eventually you won't be able to throw out her candy and then what?

You want to desensatize yourelf to it rather than avoid it. Keep it in the house but restrict yourelf, afterall, what kind of example are you setting to your child if you restrict her intake but can't your own?

I can always throw out her candy. I'm her mother and I decide what is good and healthy for her to have. I have no issues letting her have 1 cookie, or 1 cupcake, or 1 piece of candy. I don't want to raise a poor kid who's hiding in her closet eating a bag of ho ho's because her mother is a controlling nutcase. I'm trying to break the cycle of obesity in my family and I certainly can't do that if I allow her to eat loads of candy when she feels like it.
  • megaudc
    Options
    I agree completely with where you're coming from; my mom told me recently that she feels loads of guilt for letting me eat whatever treats I wanted. It's tough to hear that your parent feels any kind of guilt for choices they made in raising you, and I think doling out candy to her in moderation is best for both of you. I'm having trouble with halloween in just keeping candy in the house to hand out! I think you're showing great control by thinking ahead like this and thinking of how it affects you and your family and not wanting to sabotage either of you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mleoni092708
    Options
    She has 2 cavities already from my mom and husband giving her whatever sweets she wants-my mom doesn't like to see her upset, and my husband just wants to pacify her. And she's already slightly off the curve on the heavy end for her height. I love her more than anything and I want her to learn from a young age how to be healthy. I wouldn't wish the struggle of fighting with your weight on anyone. We all know how tough that is.

I guess the whole point of my original post is that we spend all day making choices about food and the upcoming holidays are a challenging time when learning a new lifestyle, in addition to trying to teach your little one better habits too.

Similar to the bagel post the other day. You get tired of refusing it 20 times.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My grandma gives out cans of soda, caffeine free of course. She figures the kids probably get thirsty.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I also have a 3 year old and I'm a physician assistant as well. If she already has two cavities and she's on the heavy side, maybe you could try this: Let her dress up and trick or treat and look cute and all that fun stuff, come home and pick out her absolutely favorite candy, then trade the rest for a different type of treat: a movie, a coloring book, etc. I have friends who have done this and it works great.
  • mleoni092708
    Options
    I also have a 3 year old and I'm a physician assistant as well. If she already has two cavities and she's on the heavy side, maybe you could try this: Let her dress up and trick or treat and look cute and all that fun stuff, come home and pick out her absolutely favorite candy, then trade the rest for a different type of treat: a movie, a coloring book, etc. I have friends who have done this and it works great.

Ah Genius!! Thank you for the idea!
  • BlJohnston77
    BlJohnston77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Some dentists offices' will pay per puund of candy you bring in to them instead of eatng. So if you want to get rid of it and still reward your child look into it and give the the child the money earned for something else they might want. Let them keep some of the candy they worked hard for it too lol. Just a thought for ya!!! :smile: