Potatoes-in-vinegar! Is this weird?

Options
This is a family snack that my grandma started eating way before I was born and got the rest of us hooked.

Yes, raw potatoes.

You just dice 'em up and put 'em in apple cider vinegar with a little salt, pepper & a splash of water. DELISH.

Does ANYONE else out there eat this? Haha. I always get such weird looks when I tell people I'm craving it.
"You eat WHAT?"

I told my Mama that we couldn't be the only weirdos out there... Someone help us out, here. :)

Replies

• ChasityLindsey
    ChasityLindsey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I eat cucumbers this way. Sometimes I add onions as well. I love raw potatoes so I may have to give this a try :)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    are you Irish? Actually sounds really good, but I'm quite partial to vinegar. :bigsmile:
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My Grandma taught me the cucumbers and onions in apple vinegar thing, but she also adds a bunch of sugar! It's delicious... Potatoes in vinegar sounds amazing to me, thanks for the idea!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why not? I love salt and vinegar chips, and I love french fries with malt vinegar. Well, I enjoy a cup of warm water with some vinegar and honey. So maybe you shouldn't listen to me.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    My mom would chomp on a raw potatoe as she was cutting them. I ate them as a kid and liked them. Vinegar - LOVE it! I like the tartness. Any ideas on the calories of the raw 'tater??
  • pearannoyed
    Options
    Sounds like a crunchier version of German potato salad. *shrug*

I'm not sure I believe in weird anymore :D
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! We ate it as kids, too. And cukes and radishes. The radishes are REALLY good in vinegar! :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Sounds brilliant to me! Dr. Oz says that eating some vinegar with your high carb foods will help block the carbs/sugar from getting into your system; something about the acids in the vinegar I think. He suggested using Balsamic vinegar when eating pasta, etc.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for those last night except with white vinegar. Sounds pretty good. :)
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This is a family tradition that I passed down to my kids too!! I thought we were the only family that did this! :)
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I use red potatoes 'cause they taste the best raw, and if I'm not mistaken, the calorie content is about 150 for a medium sized potato. Not bad for a snack.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    We used to eat cucumbers in vinegar at my Grandma's. Never heard of potatoes though.
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    This is a family tradition that I passed down to my kids too!! I thought we were the only family that did this! :)

Just made my day! Haha!
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    LOVE IT! We ate it as kids, too. And cukes and radishes. The radishes are REALLY good in vinegar! :)

I haven't tried the radishes in there, but I will! :)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me! When I was a kid one of my friends mom would marinate raw onion rounds in vinegar. I <3 it I would eat and eat those thing! My mom would complain about my breath though :laugh:
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My mom always told me you could get worms from eating raw potatoes so I've never tried them.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Sounds delicious.
    Sounds brilliant to me! Dr. Oz says that eating some vinegar with your high carb foods will help block the carbs/sugar from getting into your system; something about the acids in the vinegar I think. He suggested using Balsamic vinegar when eating pasta, etc.

Dr Oz is a moron.
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    Sounds good to me! When I was a kid one of my friends mom would marinate raw onion rounds in vinegar. I <3 it I would eat and eat those thing! My mom would complain about my breath though :laugh:

I frequently slice up a yellow onion to go in the vinegar with my potato. So good. Haha. But yeah, the breath is BAD.
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    My mom always told me you could get worms from eating raw potatoes so I've never tried them.

Maybe if the potato happened to have worms in it, sure.

I've been eating this stuff since infancy and never had a worm problem, I promise. :wink:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me will have to try it when I want a crunchy snack.