lady help!

Options
Hi all.

I joined MFP a few weeks ago and the first week and a half I was doing great! I was able to meet my 2lb weight loss goal in the first week! Part way through week 2, I came face to face with the bloat, tiredness and moodiness that comes along with the most dreaded monthly visitor. I never realize how much of a toll that takes on dieting. Every healthy food decision making skill went right out the window! A week an a half later, I'm up to my starting weight (but i'm still waiting for a more accurate weigh in).

My question to all you ladies out there, what are some of your secrets to keeping on track during this time? Am I the only one that fails? I need help!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• taralynne
    Options
    Hi all.

I joined MFP a few weeks ago and the first week and a half I was doing great! I was able to meet my 2lb weight loss goal in the first week! Part way through week 2, I came face to face with the bloat, tiredness and moodiness that comes along with the most dreaded monthly visitor. I never realize how much of a toll that takes on dieting. Every healthy food decision making skill went right out the window! A week an a half later, I'm up to my starting weight (but i'm still waiting for a more accurate weigh in).

My question to all you ladies out there, what are some of your secrets to keeping on track during this time? Am I the only one that fails? I need help!:flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I failed a bit this time, but not as miserably as usual. I did OK with the overeating part but I couldn't get my butt off the couch.
    That's the main thing. Whatever it takes to stay at least a little active during that time.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Lots of extra water to prevent water retention (and tea helps, too)... Filling up on low-cal foods when the cravings hit... My TOM was this weekend, too... It was the worst on Saturday and I couldn't get enough pain relief to even go for a walk - I spent most of the day in bed. I drank lots of tea, chewed gum and kept my mind on other things in between meals.

My recommendation is to allow yourself a little comfort food on the worst day of it, and then try to bounce back as quickly as possible. If you try to deny your cravings entirely, you'll probably cave because of the emotional imbalance... so try to do some damage control by planning for it.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Try to exercise! It helps the bloat, will also help keep the cravings at bay and it releases endorphins to combat the moodiness. I take aerobic dancing at the health club and it has been great . so try to find something you love and won't want to miss even during that time of month.
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I was just going to post something on this because mine's due and when I got on the scale this morning, it didn't budge. I weight the same i did last week (at least there was no gain).

Maybe it's just because I am bloated?? I'm hoping so!

Some things I've learned because I used to have TERRIBLE pain (before the birth control pill), is that exercising makes cramps worse. It goes against everything people have said in the past but for me, it was true. Just rest or try just walking on the treadmill. Walking was usually ok.

Food wise I think just try eating some low calorie carbs. Your body CRAVES them during that time so my carbs are usually a little higher. A little peanut butter and some wheat thins were my favorite. I think the drinking extra and chewing gum were great ideas. Anything to get your mind off food. Read a book or watch a movie.
  • thompsons81702
    thompsons81702 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I know that when Aunt Flow comes I have bloating and usually do not lose that week, sometimes I am even heavier while on my cycle. I always crave salty and chocolaty foods. I make sure to allow my self to have some but not to over-induldge. This month when AF came around I had the 100 caloried pack of pretzels on hand to feed my salty cravings and I had the really small mini Snickers. The serving size is 3 for 170 calories but I just ate one for 56 calories. Or you could have a chocolate fudge pop. There are several things you can treat yourself to just make sure to eat in moderation. I feel like working out helps keep me regular and gives me energy while on my cycle. Everyone is different but I would highly suggest some form of cardio even a short walk.