food scales

Options
Where can I find a good food scale, and what is an approximate estimate on what the cost is?

Replies

• megpapier
    megpapier Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I got one at Target for about $25. There were a few other that were cheaper but the one I got is digital and has been working great! I think it's an awesome idea to purchase one. It has helped me A LOT.
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I have this one too. Love it!
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    We have the Biggest Loser Taylor digital scale, and love it! It was about $20 if I remember correctly.
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is the one I have...

www.amazon.com/Taylor-Biggest-Pounds-Kitchen-Platform/dp/B001DQOEIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319651439&sr=8-1

Works like a charm and it's only $18-$19.
  • bluecollarfrench
    bluecollarfrench Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I got one at Target for about $25. There were a few other that were cheaper but the one I got is digital and has been working great! I think it's an awesome idea to purchase one. It has helped me A LOT.

I am a guy so obviously don't know a ton about this, but does it use batteries? Plug it in?
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I got this scale http://shop.eatsmartproducts.com/EatSmart-Digital-Bathroom-Oversize-Platform/dp/B001KXZ808 for $25-$30, and I love it! Almost invisible, very sleek looking, and a clear, large, digital number. They also include a tape measure for noting as your inches change (which can be even more useful than a scale, since toning up can change your body shape so much, but might not be noted in a weight change!), which I liked : )
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Mine came from Target...$26.50. Battery operated. Doesn't take up a lot of counter space, which I love.

http://www.target.com/p/Digital-Food-Scale/-/A-11011109
  • bluecollarfrench
    bluecollarfrench Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Do the digital ones need to have batteries replaced or how does that work?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I am a guy so obviously don't know a ton about this, but does it use batteries? Plug it in?

The one we bought at Walmart came with batteries. It's a nice digital scale.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I'm really glad this was posted! I have been looking for a food scale too and had no idea where to start!
  • likeaphoenix
    likeaphoenix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    we've been happy with our EatSmart Precision Pro digital kitchen scale: $25 on Amazon. Had it about 3 months, so it's proven itself to be fairly sturdy. You can weigh either in ounces or grams, and it has an easy-to-use feature to zero out the weight of the container or plate you will place the food on for weighing. (I mean, if you just have a chunk of cheese or something, you may want to just place it right on the scale, but for most things, you're going to put it on a plate first).

two further comments: This is very good that you are looking into this! I think this is a major place that people who are trying to restrict calories go wrong: they eyeball or guess the serving size and they underestimate it. This causes them sometimes to be WAY over on cals but they don't even realize it. Weighing, and measuring using measuring cup and measuring spoons is important -- at least until you develop a really good sense of what a serving looks like.

#2 - you can't get these little, relatively inexpensive digital kitchen scales wet. It MIGHT dry out and still work afterward, but then again it might not. Best just to be careful and keep it in an area away from the sink and food prep areas which can generate wetness.

Good luck!
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My friend gave me her weight watchers one and it works great. I was going to get the one that others have been posting from amazon. I've heard great things about it.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    This is the one I have...

www.amazon.com/Taylor-Biggest-Pounds-Kitchen-Platform/dp/B001DQOEIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319651439&sr=8-1

Works like a charm and it's only $18-$19.

How long have you had it? Was reading reviews about it, seems it's 50/50 whether people think its good or not. Several commented that after 3 months it didn't work anymore.