Don't let it get you down!!! Please Read...

Options
How do you react to criticism? Do you let it get you down? Many people are anxious to complain and criticize just because they take perverse pleasure in putting others down. Do you really want these people to control the way you feel about yourself?

Much criticism is useful and can help us to make positive changes. Imagine how difficult it would be to improve if you never received any feedback. Yet criticism is only one person’s opinion. If you let criticism mold the way you feel about yourself, then your happiness depends on the whims of others.

When someone criticizes you, look objectively for something useful and positive in what they’re saying. Then discard the rest. It doesn’t need to get you down. When you’re living with passion and purpose, making a sincere effort to be the best that you can be, is it really that important what other people think? The negative thoughts of others toward you, particularly if they are unfounded, are not worth the effort it takes to be concerned with them. There are many people whom you will never please. That is their problem, not yours.

Learn what you can from your critics. Then move forward with confidence and commitment.

"No one can make you feel inferior
without your consent."

Love you All Bunches *muah*
~Rachel~

Replies

• 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    You should add the link to your Awesome Sauce page in your signature. Just sayin'.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i'm a fairly sensitive person and my shell has grown from non-existent to soft in some places, hard in others. i think constructive criticism is very valuable--and constructive, in my eyes, always has a positive element on how you can improve, rather than how you failed.

anyway. just want to say: YOU INSPIRE ME!@!!!
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    you are amazing......thanks for posting this...i NEEDED it today!
  • sailorsbabydoll
    sailorsbabydoll Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! Love it and yes,we can grow from our criticism:)
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY:bigsmile:
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    2s9ocwk.png
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    If it's constructive criticism I take it very well and I try to apply myself to their advice.
    If it's negative criticism I just ignore it and try to prove myself to those people who say I can't do anything!

But a general rule of thumb for me is that I pretty much don't care what people have to say.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I totally agree :wink:
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! And congrats on your weight loss. You look great!
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Rachel--you're awesome!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    If you can't take constructive criticism, you'll never improve. It's not about hurting your feelings or being mean, it's about giving you information that may improve whatever it is you're doing.
    I'm a no nonsense trainer and will have some people ask me to train them and one of the things I ask is if they can take constructive criticism. If they say no, then I will refer them to another trainer. If you don't want to hear tips and advice on how to improve, then somehow you got this all figured out and shouldn't be here in the first place.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If you can't take constructive criticism, you'll never improve. It's not about hurting your feelings or being mean, it's about giving you information that may improve whatever it is you're doing.
    I'm a no nonsense trainer and will have some people ask me to train them and one of the things I ask is if they can take constructive criticism. If they say no, then I will refer them to another trainer. If you don't want to hear tips and advice on how to improve, then somehow you got this all figured out and shouldn't be here in the first place.

This. So much this.

Most of the time, in fact 99.9% of the time any criticism isn't aimed at the poster. It's aimed at the study/idea/research etc involved. If the poster chooses to take it as "rude" to them, well, that's up to them.

Wherever misinformation is stated as fact i will post to correct it. If you chose to ignore that correction, and go on believing what you want to believe, that's up to you. But i wont just "sit quietly and say nothing" if something is totally, proven to be wrong.

And you say that people like me take "perverse pleasure" in belittling others. I don't know you, and never have, and probably never will, so how can you generalise so many people like that? :huh:
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS TODAY! XOXO
  • elizahbeth
    Options
    There are critics, and there are *****es, and there are bullies, and there are psychopaths.

Sometimes its hard to tell the difference.

When I want to help someone see something for their benefit I should always do so with politeness, compassion, wisdom and courtesy, otherwise I'm not really much better than the last three above!
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    But some people will construe even the slightest mention of anything vaguely resembling a different viewpoint as "zomg stop bullying me!1!! Just agree with me 100% or else you're bullying me".

Seriously...if you consider a bit of criticism on here bullying and being rude, wait till the outside world gets its hooks into you...
  • elizahbeth
    Options
    Well, I'm 61 years old and there isnt much the "outside world" hasnt dealt me.

I think there will be bullies here on mfp just like everywhere else, dont you?
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I haven't seen anything i would remotely say bullying on these boards.

Maybe a couple of blunt, unvarnished posts, but to call it bullying is silly. I've seen, and been a victim of, bullying in my time, and this place is like a nunnery compared to most boards :)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    How do you react to criticism? Do you let it get you down? Many people are anxious to complain and criticize just because they take perverse pleasure in putting others down. Do you really want these people to control the way you feel about yourself?

Much criticism is useful and can help us to make positive changes. Imagine how difficult it would be to improve if you never received any feedback. Yet criticism is only one person’s opinion. If you let criticism mold the way you feel about yourself, then your happiness depends on the whims of others.

When someone criticizes you, look objectively for something useful and positive in what they’re saying. Then discard the rest. It doesn’t need to get you down. When you’re living with passion and purpose, making a sincere effort to be the best that you can be, is it really that important what other people think? The negative thoughts of others toward you, particularly if they are unfounded, are not worth the effort it takes to be concerned with them. There are many people whom you will never please. That is their problem, not yours.

Learn what you can from your critics. Then move forward with confidence and commitment.

"No one can make you feel inferior
    without your consent."

Love you All Bunches *muah*
    ~Rachel~

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • elizahbeth
    Options
    well Monster, I guess we will just have to be in disagreement then.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    well Monster, I guess we will just have to be in disagreement then.

Idd :)