Anyone tried lowering calories

Options
Hi, having been stuck for weeks I have tried upping calories and put weight on, so am now thinking of lowering for a few days, anyone tried this???

sorry should have said that I am on 1200 a day, so if I lowere it will be below what is recommended

Replies

• FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Have you tried zigzagiing cals?
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I actually gained weight one week. I think I gained 2 pounds. So I decided to go from a 1500 calorie a day diet to 1200 calories a day. So far it has worked for me.
    Then again, everyone is different!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go down in calories for a week, back up. Seems to help.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    have you like tried exercising? i hear this works.
  • jule_sea
    Options
    Measure everything. Often times portion sizes can sneak up on you after a period of time.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I generally zig zig mine. Try lowering your carbs for a few days. That works too.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go under 1200 calories if I don't eat my exercise calories but basically try to keep it at 1200. I was at the doctor's office today and was discussing weight and he said he lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks by only eating fruits and veggies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I'm gonna try it to get over this second major plateau. Of course that's low sugar fruit not watermelon or tropical fruits which are high in sugar.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Need more details to help with this one. All I know is I have to stay at 1400 cal. because if I go lower my body goes into starvation mode and I gain. Use the tools and find your BMR. Try to eat close to that and exercise to get your net calories back to 1200.
  • FreeDiver87
    Options
    I don't mean to make an obvious or offensive statement but what is your activity level like?

Even a simple change like adding a yoga session once a week can make an incredible difference.

Also, I know it is not recommended (so perhaps you shouldn't try it) but I put aside a day where I eat as much as I want to at dinner and that actually results in a weight loss over the following days.
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    Options
    have you like tried exercising? i hear this works.

someone was just wanting a bit of advice why did you have to be a smartass:frown: :frown: :frown:
  • TazzyDB
    TazzyDB Posts: 224
    Options
    I didn't think this would work but a friend suggested it to me and it did---> take a few days off from calorie counting. The jolt seems to kick-start your metabolism again.

And, be sure to drink your water!
  • prairiekid
    Options
    I started loosing fat the fastest when I started doing interval training for my exercise. I was loosing a little bit when I was eating fewer calories than I burned in a day and was keeping the carbs low. But it really started coming off when I started to doing intervals on my bike. They are excruciating but they work. And they only take 20-30 minutes 3 times per week. Of course, you still have to eat less than you burn in a day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Craig Ballantine's Turbulence Training program which combines interval training and resistance training is pretty good.
    http://www.turbulencetraining.com/interval-training-fat-burning.shtml

But you can always just make your own interval program.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Measure everything. Often times portion sizes can sneak up on you after a period of time.

I would say this ^. It is amazing how big the difference can be between how much you 'think' a portion size is compared to the reality and log everything. Good luck :)