Anyone ride their bike to work?

Options
I just thinking about buying a bike to ride to work and wondered if anyone does it currently? If so, how long is the ride and how long does it take you? Also, what type of bike would be best?
I live about 9 miles away from work, and I figured I can knock out my workout by riding to work. My concerns are that 1) I might be dead tired after riding for 9 miles and 2) some of the neighborhoods that I will have to go thru isn't exactly the greatest.
All comments welcome! Thanks for your posts :flowerforyou:

Replies

• msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have, but not quite that far. My suggestion would be to do the ride on a weekend and see how it is.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I ride everyday to work. Just over a mile, but when I get off work I ride 9 miles or more on an average day.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Can you shower at work?
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I don't have a job or a bike. My answer is no.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Can you shower at work?

No I can't, but I don't sweat to the point where I'm wet and smelly. At my previous job, I used to walk 5 miles and I did sweat, but it wasn't too bad.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I ride everyday to work. Just over a mile, but when I get off work I ride 9 miles or more on an average day.

How long did that take you? I live in Chicago, so I'd be battling with traffic when I get downtown. Also, what type of bike would be best?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do as much as I can... unfortuately between kids, work, weather, daylight etc, that's only about twice a month. It's about 11 miles door to door for me. The ride to work takes about 45 minutes, home is about 1 hour 15 minutes.

The best bike is the one you are most likely to ride. Period. Don't get too worked up over this, just go with what you'll ride. If you need to carry stuff back and forth (change of clothes, work stuff, food, etc) consider something you can put racks on. A decent bike shop should be able to help you figure out what will best suit your needs.

Are there other routes you could take to avoid bad neighborhoods?
  • jule_sea
    Options
    I do not as for the distance, but my husband does. It is about 8 miles for him, he rides half and then takes the transit the rest of the way. When he is completely dead tired he takes the transit most of the way. I recommend having the option to be able to bus it part of the way, that way you can build up to it.
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    I was riding to work, about 4 miles each way. It was great! I definately recomend a trial run on the weekend and give your self plenty of time so you can go slower if you need to. I just changed offices and can't bike to work any more I'm so bummed. It was a great way to get a workout in. Good Luck! :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Can you shower at work?

No I can't, but I don't sweat to the point where I'm wet and smelly. At my previous job, I used to walk 5 miles and I did sweat, but it wasn't too bad.

Keep a stash of baby wipes or similar in your desk just in case. If nothing else, it helps you feel a bit more clean and refreshed.
  • Paboes71
    Options
    i ride 16 miles one way. takes a little over an hour each way. it's actually a little long. i make a lot of detours to stay on bike trails and off heavy traffic roads. 9 miles would be nice commute. at a moderate pace it should take about 45 minutes. i am blessed with a shower at work, and a spot in the warehouse for me to park my bike.

are there any large hills in the bad neighborhoods? is traffic a concern? my biggest fear is traffic.

if you start doing it on a regular basis the tired issue would not be a concern.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    At the end of the day it adds up to 7 miles total (3 1/2 there, 3 1/2 back). It totals to about 50 minutes a day, give or take. I like to take my time. 9 is quite far. I recommend riding on a weekend to see how sweaty you get. Also keep in mind that when you get there, you'll want some time to freshen up before your shift.

Another thing to consider is are there sidewalks or bike lanes? It can be quite dangerous riding, especially when you're trying to dodge traffic on the streets while going downhill in the dark and the headlights on the vehicles are blinding you.

This leads me to yet another thing to consider: are there hills? I usually walk up the steep ones, it's just faster and safer. Be very careful going downhill. It will be harder to hit the breaks if a car starts turning into you.

...and last but not least: always wear a helmet! :)

ETA: I also have to ride through a less desirable neighborhood. My only advice is to take some sort of self defense class and avoid people. If anyone comes at you, pedal like hell! lol
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I do as much as I can... unfortuately between kids, work, weather, daylight etc, that's only about twice a month. It's about 11 miles door to door for me. The ride to work takes about 45 minutes, home is about 1 hour 15 minutes.

The best bike is the one you are most likely to ride. Period. Don't get too worked up over this, just go with what you'll ride. If you need to carry stuff back and forth (change of clothes, work stuff, food, etc) consider something you can put racks on. A decent bike shop should be able to help you figure out what will best suit your needs.

Are there other routes you could take to avoid bad neighborhoods?

Thanks for your suggestions. I have looked into alternative routes for safety, but the city of Chicago has designated bike routes, so I would like to stick to those. Many people get injured and/or killed by riding bikes in unmarked areas.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Can you shower at work?

Keep a stash of baby wipes or similar in your desk just in case. If nothing else, it helps you feel a bit more clean and refreshed.

Good idea.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I commute by bike during the summer about 2-3 days per week. This year I commuted 24 workdays.

It is 19.5 miles each way. It takes me 60-65 minutes to get there, and about 65-70 minutes to get home.

Because of weather and daylight, I don't commute before May 1 or after Labor Day.

If I keep my heart rate below 70% of max, I can ride consecutive days. If I am not planning on riding consecutive days, I ride harder than that. When I keep my HR below 70%, it takes 5-10 minutes longer each way.

I've been a cyclist for years, so I ride pretty fast. Once you become comfortable riding 9 miles, my guess is that it would take you 40 minutes comfortably. Think about issues with daylight and weather.

How do you get to work currently?
  • angelapolite
    Options
    i ride 16 miles one way. takes a little over an hour each way. it's actually a little long. i make a lot of detours to stay on bike trails and off heavy traffic roads. 9 miles would be nice commute. at a moderate pace it should take about 45 minutes. i am blessed with a shower at work, and a spot in the warehouse for me to park my bike.

are there any large hills in the bad neighborhoods? is traffic a concern? my biggest fear is traffic.

if you start doing it on a regular basis the tired issue would not be a concern.

That's awesome! I used to walk at my previous job, it was 5 miles, it took me alittle over an hour, so I think your 45 minutes would be accurate.
    Like I mentioned, I am concerned about the shady neighborhoods I'd have to go thru, but Chicago has designated bike routes, and I would like to stick to those.
    I'll just have to do a test run during a weekend to see how I feel and scope out the areas.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I commute by bike during the summer about 2-3 days per week. This year I commuted 24 workdays.

It is 19.5 miles each way. It takes me 60-65 minutes to get there, and about 65-70 minutes to get home.

Because of weather and daylight, I don't commute before May 1 or after Labor Day.

If I keep my heart rate below 70% of max, I can ride consecutive days. If I am not planning on riding consecutive days, I ride harder than that. When I keep my HR below 70%, it takes 5-10 minutes longer each way.

I've been a cyclist for years, so I ride pretty fast. Once you become comfortable riding 9 miles, my guess is that it would take you 40 minutes comfortably. Think about issues with daylight and weather.

How do you get to work currently?

Currently, I take public transportation (a bus and a train). And it takes me about 35 minutes to get there. I really want to start riding. I used to walk to my previous job, it was 5 miles and I did it in alittle over an hour.
    I don't workout nearly as often as I should. I figure that if I started riding, I get my workout done while going to and coming from work.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Can you shower at work?

Good idea.

I agree!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    At the end of the day it adds up to 7 miles total (3 1/2 there, 3 1/2 back). It totals to about 50 minutes a day, give or take. I like to take my time. 9 is quite far. I recommend riding on a weekend to see how sweaty you get. Also keep in mind that when you get there, you'll want some time to freshen up before your shift.

Another thing to consider is are there sidewalks or bike lanes? It can be quite dangerous riding, especially when you're trying to dodge traffic on the streets while going downhill in the dark and the headlights on the vehicles are blinding you.

This leads me to yet another thing to consider: are there hills? I usually walk up the steep ones, it's just faster and safer. Be very careful going downhill. It will be harder to hit the breaks if a car starts turning into you.

...and last but not least: always wear a helmet! :)

ETA: I also have to ride through a less desirable neighborhood. My only advice is to take some sort of self defense class and avoid people. If anyone comes at you, pedal like hell! lol

Yeah, I was thinking about carrying some mase or something. It shouldn't be bad since I'll be traveling during the morning and evenings, where people are out and about.
  • blondebiker
    blondebiker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Angela,

I live in Chicago too! I used to bike 18 miles round trip from Chicago to Evanston each day for work using the River Trail. I stopped this year because work got crazy (it's faster to take the Metra and I need to be into work sooner) so I got into running. I plan to do it again next year when it warms back up. I also bike casually throughout the city.

I use a mountain bike but I think the best bike for speed without the effort would be a hybrid (mountain bike handles with thinner tires). I don't like road bikes in Chicago because I feel hunched over with the handles and the potholes are horrible here! My boyfriend uses a road bike to bike from the Northwest side to downtown (~20 miles round trip) and has to change his tires and repair spokes several times a year but he makes great time on his commute as opposed to riding the train!

As for bad neighborhoods, I would think if you're biking during daylight hours with lots of people around, you'll be fine. Pepper spray is always a good idea and you'll likely be biking faster than a potential mugger can run so you're not an easy target. I bike through a iffy neighborhood to get the Lakefront Trail and never have been bothered. Just be aware and pay attention. If I were you, I'd be more worried about my bike getting stolen while I wasn't riding it so make sure to invest in a high quality bike lock!

I lived elsewhere for most of my life and Chicago has been one of the most bike-friendly cities I've ever lived in! I find most drivers to be pretty conscious and conscientous of me. That being said, assume everyone is not paying attention to you and ride defensively. Follow the road rules (e.g. stopping at lights and signs). Watch out for people opening car doors!!!!

Feel free to friend me as another Chicago biker!