Hills vs Flats

Options
So I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. I do a 3.5 mile loop brisk walking and the route has hills. Since I start and end at the same elevation, is it the same calories burned as if I did a 3.5 mile loop on level ground? I don't have an HRM yet--if I'm lucky, Santa will bring one. In the meantime, I was wondering if it all evened up since I'm going both up and down.

Replies

• ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No definitely not the same as walking on flat terrain. You burn a lot more calories when you walk hills. I just finished a hike uphill 3 miles and back down 3 miles. I burned 1547 calories versus the 800 calories I would have burned walking on level ground for 6 miles. Hills are your friend. Remember the harder you breathe the more calories you burn.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know when I am on the treadmill it shows I burn more calories when I am at an incline, but not 100% on that.. I don't have a HRM either :(
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    lol I thought this was a question about shoes
    I think you burn more calories walking up hill than on level ground but I'm not sure
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you burn more going uphill, but since I'm also going downhill, I wondered if that equalized it, as presumably going downhill is less than on flat ground. But, I guess I don't really know. And I can't wear heels, just flats. :tongue: