Starving yourself

Options

Replies

• DerpdyHerp
    Options
    Where can I read these studies, please?
    AND - I am not a doctor, but I did study medical anthropology and public health, and have read peer-reviewed studies.

• MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is great that you care so much about all your friends on here...but some people are going to do whatever THEY believe is best...just keep focused on you and your goals..your doing greaT!
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't make you fat, but it will help pack visceral fat around your organs to protect them.
    It will consume your muscle mass as well, and your bones.
    When you begin eating normally again, or possibly still short of normally, you will have a deficit of muscle and will gain fat easily.
    Your body will also be wired to stash the fat more efficiently in preparation for the possibility of another famine.

Alternatively, you can die. Or, you can eat just enough in starvation mode to survive long enough that you can fool yourself into thinking you are not dying a slow death.

This is true and I can speak from personal experience. Eating so few calories is not realistic, healthy or maintainable, plus it can lead you down a very dark path and develop an eating disorder.

And I don't understand why some people have to be negative. She's simply stating her opinion, so if you don't agree, then why post a comment. I have seen people eating very few calories while quickly flipping through people's diaries and, yes while some people may be sick that day or not eating their excercise caloreis or whatever, there are people on here with eating disorders. At the same time, it's really none of our business what random people eat, especially if they're not a buddy.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry - we're talking about different things - even the fellow's blog you reference points out that an 800-calorie-a-day diet should be medically supervised if continued for a long period of time, and the points he makes at the start have nothing to do with what I am talking about. And I have definitely seen fad or for-sale weight-loss programs advertised under the banner of "you need to eat MORE, and the RIGHT foods, or you will go into starvation mode!!" Yes, I get it - that's marketing and rubbish.

The unfortunate fact is that there are a lot of people who are, exactly, starving themselves under the banner of dieting, including people who struggle with obesity, and this is what I am talking about, not an intelligently regulated very-low calorie regimen overseen by a doctor.

Finally, people who are HUNGRY, in their stomachs, and weak, when eating at a certain deficit level, even if it's higher than what may be healthily maintained by others, need to feed themselves, or this becomes starvation for that person. It's not a number anyone can claim for the whole world. I'm sticking to about 1600 calories a day, but there are days when, depending on the actual food, I am full and satisfied at 1350 - 1450. Other days I'm ravenous and seem to need closer to 1800 calories, though I rarely eat that much. I'm also 5'8" and have a larger frame. Every body is different.
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth

Really r u joking lmao
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    like someone already mentioned- people keep describing the symptoms of ----actual starvation---- and you dont need a bunch of letters behind your name to know that not eating for long periods of time is not good for you. there are plenty of studys---http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.com/2009/10/intermittent-fasting-and-starvation.html---that state you will not keep fat in starvation mode if you do exercise and those calories that you are taking in are healthy and full of the micro's that you need.

Ok, an article by a guy trying to plug his book is not a good link. I'd love to see the actual study he referred to, because without a link to it, the entire article is pretty worthless, just a guy trying to push his merchandise, while condemning others for pushing their merchandise.
  • mexy04
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't make you fat, but it will help pack visceral fat around your organs to protect them.
    It will consume your muscle mass as well, and your bones.
    When you begin eating normally again, or possibly still short of normally, you will have a deficit of muscle and will gain fat easily.
    Your body will also be wired to stash the fat more efficiently in preparation for the possibility of another famine.

Alternatively, you can die. Or, you can eat just enough in starvation mode to survive long enough that you can fool yourself into thinking you are not dying a slow death.

Sounds like starvation mode to me??? j/s
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yes - I posted a topic last week about eating disorders, and it appears either not to have gone up or to have been removed. I have been extremely disturbed by some of what I have seen on here - there are a few people undereating because they do not seem to know better, and there are a lot of younger girls on here who are actively egging each other on in their anorexic behaviors - I know they're welcome to use the site but I feel like they need to know that people are here to get and remain healthy, and if they're actively engaged in their addictions, they should be seeking help in real life and, frankly, I don't think they should be on here. I won't be "friends" with it. Sending you a friend request, though.

What happened to this being a friendly, supportive site where people encourage each other to live and be healthy? How could you possibly assume you know: 1. that the diary entry is complete and that is ALL they ate that day, 2. That the person isn't dealing with something terrible in their lives or 3. they have medical reasons for the amounts they eat?

I think it's quite sad that this has become such a judgmental place. I joined for support. A friendly environment in which to deal with the issues of weight. This negativity is really disappointing. Point the finger at yourself and let others live their lives. If you want to intervene, do it in a friendly way. Geez.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    No joke. No one has provided any scientific evidence that it exists. Do you have some (please!) so we can put this issue to bed?

Really r u joking lmao
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Really r u joking lmao

um, no. im not... LMAO! its total BS.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Never ever make an assumption or pass judgement on someone
    [/quote]

EXACTLY
  • mexy04
    Options
    AND - I am not a doctor, but I did study medical anthropology and public health, and have read peer-reviewed studies.

I am aware that people can get enough nutrition on a restricted-calorie diet that may look too low to some people, and that they can get enough to fuel their exercise. I am aware that many people have issues with yo-yo dieting which can involve unintelligent calorie restriction and poor food choice, and that it could sound like blaming their weight gain on "starvation mode", and obviously an unhealthy relationship with food and a tendency to overeat it is a root problem. However, there is clearly a grain of truth in what they say, as well, because with a too-low-calorie intake and no weight-bearing exercise, they WILL have lost muscle and affected their metabolism, so that they WILL be having a harder and harder time achieving or maintaining a healthy weight even with sensible dieting, let alone if they "slip up".

So - point taken - people should know what they're talking about when saying "starvation mode". However, I'm just about certain that the 18-year-old college girl eating MAYBE 500 calories pretty much every day, probably from all packaged, processed foods, has an active eating disorder, cannot concentrate in her classes or sleep well, cannot fuel a workout, is running a risk of affecting her reproductive system long-term, and is generally not doing herself any favors and aiming for an earlier than necessary grave.

Very well written. I agree whole heartedly with what you've just said. Given me great insight to the whole theory. I think we are making it much more complicated than it really is, but then again it is a bit of a science.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I agree. Granted, there is a difference between total and net. If you're eating over 1,200 calories and burning it off exercising, that's probably fine. but if you are eating 600 calories of protein bars, you might need help.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Yes - I posted a topic last week about eating disorders, and it appears either not to have gone up or to have been removed. I have been extremely disturbed by some of what I have seen on here - there are a few people undereating because they do not seem to know better, and there are a lot of younger girls on here who are actively egging each other on in their anorexic behaviors - I know they're welcome to use the site but I feel like they need to know that people are here to get and remain healthy, and if they're actively engaged in their addictions, they should be seeking help in real life and, frankly, I don't think they should be on here. I won't be "friends" with it. Sending you a friend request, though.

Exactly. I hate seeing the pro-anorexic stuff on here. I thought this was about fitness, not about encouraging eating disorders. This is what would cause me to leave MFP, not someone having a political discussion, or putting up pictures of their bums. But people suggesting, advocating, and then demanding support for their unhealthy behaviors. Other boards like this have it against the rules. It is apparently not here. Flame me all you want. Starving yourself doesn't make you sexy. Nor is it fitness.
  • mexy04
    Options
    No joke. No one has provided any scientific evidence that it exists. Do you have some (please!) so we can put this issue to bed?

Really r u joking lmao

So then explain why it IS such bs?? If you look at humans as animals evolutionarily as well as other species our bodies go into WHATEVER you want to call it to survive when there is a lack of fuel to burn as energy. In earlier times food is not as abundant as it is now with sugar, salt and fat. To the extent in which it does is probably not fully understood bc its difficult to measure but just to say that it is flat out untrue is comical because I haven't quite heard a good argument for it except "its bs." I'm no professional I'm pretty most of you all aren't either. Its not fair to throw stuff out there that honestly you really have no idea. #Justsayin
  • mexy04
    Options
    I have to agree w. you. and for the comment that states that starvation mode does not exist.. well it does and it can lead to some serious eating disorders. hair loss, period stopping, weight loss, fatigue, orgains failing are all from complications of starvation mode. I don't know how long it takes for the body to reach that point but what i do know is I never want to experience it.

there are some people who are on certain diets that consist of very low calorie intakes in which a doctor is closely monitoring them, but for others who are only eating very little to try to lose very fast, it's their choice and all we can do is try to support and encourage them. if they don't want the comments of how little they are eating then maybe they should close out their diary. it's nice of you to have concern for others!

all the symptoms you've described happen when people are literally starving themselves and not eating anything... thats not "starvation mode"

So prove that its not.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    I merely asked for proof that it exists. I think we can say it doesn't exist because if the body can go into some "mode" where you maintain or gain weight when hypocaloric that you would never die of starvation. That is clearly false. So the very basic premise of starvation mode is false. Not having a closed mind, I've invited all evidence to the contrary and to this point, I've only received anecdotes and emotional outbursts.

Please quench my thirst for information.

Really r u joking lmao

So then explain why it IS such bs?? If you look at humans as animals evolutionarily as well as other species our bodies go into WHATEVER you want to call it to survive when there is a lack of fuel to burn as energy. In earlier times food is not as abundant as it is now with sugar, salt and fat. To the extent in which it does is probably not fully understood bc its difficult to measure but just to say that it is flat out untrue is comical because I haven't quite heard a good argument for it except "its bs." I'm no professional I'm pretty most of you all aren't either. Its not fair to throw stuff out there that honestly you really have no idea. #Justsayin
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, I just play one on MFP
  • mexy04
    Options
    I merely asked for proof that it exists. I think we can say it doesn't exist because if the body can go into some "mode" where you maintain or gain weight when hypocaloric that you would never die of starvation. That is clearly false. So the very basic premise of starvation mode is false. Not having a closed mind, I've invited all evidence to the contrary and to this point, I've only received anecdotes and emotional outbursts.

Please quench my thirst for information.

Really r u joking lmao

A person can survive for quite a long time without food (like weeks and weeks). I think we're misunderstanding the meaning of "starvation mode" itself. Our bodies aren't going to give in very easily to starvation and death. In order to survive the body will eat up all that there is (seen in anorexics). Hence the reason why I brought up how we have functioned evolutionarily over time. These kinds of mechanisms don't go away very easily such as our circadian rhythm (its programmed in our brains). Even though food is abundant tell it to our brains. Like I said I'm no professional but I definitely read quite a bit as well as having a psychology degree. I can't give evidence for why it exists but our bodies are tied into our minds therefore the idea of "starvation mode" being a myth MAY very well be true but I don't agree. #thatisall
This discussion has been closed.