Treadmill vs Stationary Bike

Options
I have both. I can't go over about 3mph on the treadmill yet due to knee issues. I looked up both in the exercise listing and it says if I did the bike for the same amount of time as the treadmill I'd burn 50% more! Is that accurate? I don't have a HRM, I just started working out again and I'll need to save up for a good one, so I can't use that to go by at this point. It says that for 30mins of 3mph walking I'd burn 191 cals, for "light effort" (whatever that means) on the bike I'd burn 318? The bike I have has arms that don't move, does that make a difference you think?

Ideas? Cause if the bike burns that much more I want to do that one, lol :D

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Get an HRM and test it.

Do note - Stationary bike is lower impact for your knee
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Those comparisons do sound reasonable. I have an air-resistance stationary bike - the computer on it tracks speed/distance/calories burned. When I do 20 minutes at appx 20mph I burn about 400 calories. I like the no-impact on feet/back on the bike.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that. Do whatever, just keep exercising.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I agree about getting an HRM.

At a sub 3mph pace, you quite possibly do burn more on a bike, but my best guess would be that they are actually probably pretty even. 318 for a half hour is VERY high for a stationary bike, especially for "light effort." I just did my first triathlon and was only racking up about 250 cals for a 30 min session...and that's working it pretty hard.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Treadmill does burn more calorie because you have to stand up.
    Do HIIT on the bike or doing it in Spin style, you will burn calorie after the work out.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I will be getting an HRM once I can save up for a good one. I want a Polar FT4 or FT7 since those seem to be the ones I see people rave about here.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it :)