Heavy Bag!!!

Options
I've decided to get a heavy bag.

Anyone on MFP who has one and loves working out with it?

I have to get one that is freestanding, and that costs less than $200. Any recommendations?

Replies

• essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I no longer own one, but LOVED working out on one. If you can swing it(haha) IMO the hanging ones are better. Amazing workout and stress reliever.

I'd check Amazon or play it again sports.....freestanding are fairly light so shipping isn't bad at all...
  • thedodgeruk
    thedodgeruk Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    any will do , ebay , or any catalog ones do , i used water instead of sand , just couse it dont cost anything to fill the base.

set 3 min rounds, and it will be hard , trust me lol
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love my heavy bag. What a work out. We got our bag brand new at a garage sale for $10, and then my husband bought a stand for it that also had the speed bag on Craigslist. Get some good wrist support gloves though.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I work out on heavy bags quite a bit. I have a free standing one with a water filled base I use in the winter indoors and I have a hydro bag that hangs outside I use in the summers.

Train in rounds. 2 minute rounds for beginners.

I highly recommend wrist wraps, especially while you are learning to strike. You can hurt your wrists easily without one.

When you strike the bag, do not try to punch through the bag. Something people new to heavy bags often do is strike the bag and sort of add a push or try to punch through the bag. This is a recipe for injury with no benefit.

Trained boxers punch in this manner:

-Arm is fully relaxed
    -Arm moves outward in a straight line or arc, depending on the punch thrown, at the target
    -Arm is still relaxed during the motion
    -At the very moment of impact, a kinetic chain of muscle contraction starts
    -You tighten up at your leg, bracing it, that muscle contraction travels up through your core and finally at the moment of impact your arm is tight and firm
    -If you strike correctly, it should be a firm pop
    -Relax and retract your hand back into your stance immediately after the strike

Using this method you will find the heavy bag workout is a full body and core workout and amazing cardio and fat loss, as well you will reduce your change of injury.

I highly recommend you learn to tape your wrists and hands at first and use 14 or 16 ounce gloves until technique improves. Then you can consider bag gloves and MMA gloves.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Also remember, power comes from technique, not strength. Powerful punches come with practice not weight lifting :)
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    We have a free standing bag, with water filled base. Love It!!!! :)
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the advice!

I think that I will get a DVD that teaches technique, some gloves, and wrist wraps, along with a freestanding bag that I will fill with water. This will be an investment, but I really believe it will be worth it.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    cue the "husband" or "wife" or maybe "mother in law" heavy bag jokes...