Questions to ask dietician before I start lifting weights

Options
Hello all! I’ve lost 62 pounds and I am happy with the way I look except now I want MUSCLE!! I want standing definition (able to see muscles when not flexing). I was previously on 1300 calories a day and when I switched to “Maintenance” it raised my calories to 1910. That number made me really nervous so I changed my activity level from light to sedentary which lowered my calories to 1770 which I’ve been on for a little over two weeks and while I did lose another 4 pounds, I think I am leveling out. I am getting a workout bench tomorrow as an early Christmas present (that’s what my set picture is right now) and I want to really hit the weights the right way.
I am going to make an appointment with the Dietician at my doctor’s office and would like to know what additional questions I should ask about heavy weight lifting and how to properly fuel my body while I do this. Here are the questions I’ve come up with, if you can think of any more, I would really appreciate it!

1. How many Calories a day?
2. Break down those calories by percentage.
3. Vitamins or supplements I should be taking.
4. If I work out 5 or 6 days a week, do I lower my calories on my off day(s)?

Thanks in advance everyone!! This is the best community and I am proud to be a part of it!

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great post and thanks for sharing your story.

I would highly recommend choosing a nutritionist that is educated in sports nutrition and also has education on food addiction.

It has been my experience that general nutritionists do not have the background to fully understand or suggest the right plan for situations like this.

In my fitness practice, I have had many clients come in with a plan from a licensed nutritionist or dietician (which mind you most of the nutritionists are obese) and promote that person to eat their binge foods "in moderation", or to just "control" what you eat - you know, we have all heard it "portion control". If we all had "portion control" and could stick to portion control, we would not be there to begin with. If you have a problem with a particular food re: binging - take it out. Hello.

It's just my experience professionally. Most of them go by an outdated pyramid (even the new one is not on the mark).

I even had one tell me that if I had someone who was alcoholic, to only let them have 5 oz. of alcohol day LOL

Now that is scary....seriously.

so, I would just make sure they are really qualified to handle your specific situation. Don't get me wrong, they all mean well but there are a lot of them out there totally in the dark because they are not required to have a well round education on all matters for all kinds of people.

Thanks again for your post. It is an excellent subject.
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    In my fitness practice, I have had many clients come in with a plan from a licensed nutritionist or dietician (which mind you most of the nutritionists are obese)

um... what? most dietitians i've met tend to be on the thin side. not that it matters... just never heard anyone make a comment like that before.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Thanks MyCoach! So if I am presented with the Pyramid, what should I say? I am concerned with consuming a higher level of calories just because my body isn't used to it. My go to has become almonds, love them but the fat is high so usually at the end of the day I have a lot of calories and few fat.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat a whole lot more. Eat at maintenance as a default and eat a couple hundred calories more if you're still hungry. If you want to maintain weight, you can eat more on your workout days and less on your rest days. Go for at least 1g of protein per lb of your LBM. That should be the minimum amount you aim for. Fat/carb can be distributed however you like as long as it's mostly from real (and relatively unprocessed) foods. Supplements are not necessary but regardless of if you are lifting or not, you can take fish oil and vitamin D.
    Lift heavy 3 times a week and rest on the other days. If you want to get stronger and have bigger muscles, you need to let your body recover.

Other than that, start on a proper strength training program like Starting Strength and be amazed at how much stronger you get :)
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Thanks Jesung, really excited to get started on this stage of my journey!