1290 calories?

Options
Hi everyone

I plugged in my weight/goals etc and I need to eat 1290 calories to loose weight...can that be right?
I don't think a bird could stay full on 1290 calories...LOL

I'm 5'7 and weigh 152....don't work out but chase a 2 and 4 yr old all day
I'm looking to get down to 138-140....and maintain...

Can anyone give some tips, high volume, yummy tasting foods etc
Thanks, kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I plugged in my weight/goals etc and I need to eat 1290 calories to loose weight...can that be right?
    I don't think a bird could stay full on 1290 calories...LOL

I'm 5'7 and weigh 152....don't work out but chase a 2 and 4 yr old all day
    I'm looking to get down to 138-140....and maintain...

Can anyone give some tips, high volume, yummy tasting foods etc
    Thanks, kim
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    That is my goal calories also- I thought the same thing when I first saw the number- but it really is reasonable when you eat the right foods. Lots of fruit and veggies for snacks and sensible meals. It takes awhile to get use to :) For breakfast I like Thomas' whole wheat mini-bagels with a slice of lean ham and a slice of fat free cheese- sometimes an egg along with a piece of fruit like an apple or banana. Really is satisfying. I think the key is to find lighter versions of your favorite foods.
  • julierose
    julierose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You could try Grape Nuts for breakfast. Nothing has filled me up quite like them, but don't forget to check the serving size, because they're higher in calories than some cereals, but worth it! Also, I have found that I make sure to buy low-calorie bread and cheese and make sandwiches for lunch, with no fat yogurt and a piece of fruit. It isn't easy at first, but you will eventually catch on. Dinners tend to be a veggie with a piece of barbeque chicken and a starch, like a cup of brown rice. Good luck!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have 1200 calories, and at first it was hard to stay within 1200, but once you get to know what foods gives you the most amount with the least calories, such as veggies and lean protein, you will know how to work it. Also, working out or activities will allow you to add calories to your day. The more you are active, the more calories you can add. Good luck
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I know they say follow the pyramid, but the four basic food groups from my generation works best for me. I try not to think of food as tasty. :happy: just as fuel. and I try to get one protein, 1 carb, 1 fat, and one (or more) veggie for each meal.
    you really can eat a lot of the right food. at 1200 think high fiber too. you will stay full longer. Try to avoid any empty calories. if it doesn't have a nutritional value, don't eat it. good luck
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    Eat bunches of fiber!! I start my day off with 1 cup of Raisin Brad cereal...1 cup of milk... a banana ...and a small apple... this usually fills me up!! (The raisins really help with any sweet fix i crave too!!)

You will get the hang of it... this website really helps you to see how many calories are in what... carbs have a lot of calories as well as some meats... oh and stay away from sugar!!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement....
    I've been out hunting for high fiber, bulky foods that will help me feel fuller
    I'm positive I'll loose the weight (I hope) but I'm more concerned with being able to maintain
    My mom is a MAJOR yo-yo dieter...upo and down from a 8/10-16/18+

Thanks again, Kim
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    That's the great thing about this site!! It even tells you how many calories to eat in order to maintain!!

Fresh veggies, Fresh fruits, and anything made with WHOLE GRAIN (not whole grain flour) is where you will find that much needed fiber!!

And drink LOTS of water!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Make sure you checked the right level of "activity". I originally thought I was sedentary, then I wore a pedometer for a few days. On an average day, I walked about five miles.(just getting to work and at work, going to the store, etc. . . . not counting my exercise) I've upped my calories/activity level accordingly. You can get a pretty reasonably priced pedometer, and if you're chasing a young 'un', it might be worth checking into.

I also second the idea to eat a lot of fibre-rich foods. I aim for 28 grams a day.

This is as much an art as a science. Don't be afraid to find what works for YOU! (which may not be what works for others.) This may involve some trial and error. :flowerforyou:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    You may need to make the calorie change gradually....working your way down to 1290. It was tough to go from eating whatever I wanted, to only eating 1200 calories a day, but as soon as I saw some results, I was hooked! 17 lbs in 2 months, and I have maintained it for 2 months now. Feeling this good about myself sure beats the momentary pleasure I get from all the junk I was eating before.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That 1290 includes a built-in 500 calorie deficit. When you perform any activity, from walking to exercising, that will increase how many calories you can eat. Make sure to eat all the calories allotted to you by MFP if you chose the "Guided" goals option.
  • linda4
    linda4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is red grapes. This high fiber, juicy snack is easy to nibble all day long. I'm a "grazer" so keeping to my 1200 calories was difficult until I discovered them. Try the seeded variety and they seem to last even longer.
  • yournightmare23
    Options
    I also thought it would be hard but there are alot of things you can substitute-like turkey hamburgers and hot dogs. I love oscar mayer low fat turkey and ham. There are also whole grain breads that you can still have, its all about management and not skipping any meals. Start taking a multi-vitamins if you don't already-but take it after breakfast or before you go to bed. And last but not least drink plenty of water.:flowerforyou:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I really think the goal is to eat as much good and healthy foods as possible. Anyone can eat McDonalds and then realize how hungry they will be later and that their calories are done for the day. the fun part is trying to fit in as much food, veggies, fibre and protein within that caloric intake. And when you exercise, you are allowed to eat as much calories you burned.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You could try Grape Nuts for breakfast.

I didn't even know they still made this jaw breaker cereal...

Anyway, make sure you put that you are active, chasing after kids all day counts as activity. You may find you have a few more cals after that, don't sell yourself short!

1290 would be the max if you were to only do what activity level you stated, if you exercise on top of it you get additional calories and you will still loose weight!

Also try filling up on "negative calorie" foods, these are things like apples, celery, carrots, lettuce (most veggies and fruit actually). The reason they are considered negative calorie is that without dressings etc they take more calories to digest than they contain and they keep you fuller longer!