Juniors vs Ladies Sizing???

Options
I'm curious as to what the conversion is from ladies to juniors clothing? I have a ladies size 12 pants that are falling off me and a juniors size 15 that are fairly snug. So what is the rough conversion of these sizes?

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Womens pants are cut for a womans body - ie: hips. The sizes (I assume) are the waist measurement so should be pretty similar.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I make this joke all the time. In womens I am in an 8, in juniors a 10-11. Like teenage girls don't have enough self image issues, companies make their sizes bigger? WTH? lol
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It will vary by brand, but I'm roughly a 14-16 in womens and a 15-17 in juniors, for pants.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    back when I was a size 10 in juniors, I was a size 4-6 in ladies....if that helps at all. I haven't bought any ladies sizes in a while, so I don't know what I would be now.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I didn't wear juniors when I was a junior...
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on the brands.. I am ~4 ladies and ~7 juniors
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    In junior sizing I wear a size 7. In misses I wear a 4 petite. In girls I can wear a size 14.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree with womens being cut differently- more room in the hips and usually a higher rise than juniors. I usually wear juniors 5 long and a 4 in womens is typically big on me . I do find that juniors sizes are typically LONGER though and I love that. Of, course it really depends on the brand because they are all cut differently.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    There is no rhyme or reason. In one Forever 21 store alone I could wear from small-medium or large. Just have to try things on.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is no answer to this. It all depends on the brand, and your body shape.
    Every designer has their own size chart - so even with in just Jr's brands or just Women's brands, you might wear different sizes in one department store. KWIM?
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i think womens jeans are sized more to waist ratio where juniors are sized via the hips more or less.. me personally i cant wear womens jean they dont fit my body right...
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I didn't wear juniors when I was a junior...

me either but I love them know!!! I wear a size 6 ladies and a size 7 juniors...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a 2 or 4 in Misses, and a 7 or 9 in Juniors, but with jeans often if they fit in the hips and thigh, they're HUGE in the waist. In dresses, I can wear a 3 or 5 in Juniors, providing it's not super-fitted in the hips.
  • Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options
    I fit into a size 1 in juniors and a size 0 is women's petites, although different brands fit differently. Gap cuts their things smaller than other brands it seems @.@.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    In juniors I am in between a 13 and 15. In women's I am in a 12!
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    I am 20 years old so I wear misses and juniors clothing. I'm not sure what I am in misses now but when I was a juniors size 11 I was a misses size 6(they were pretty tight though i would probably have done better in an 8). I am now a junior size 7 so I'm probably a misses 4 because there is a bigger size difference between misses sizes(like between a 4 and a 6) than there is between juniors(like between a 5 and a 7) and juniors sizes run fairly small.
    I would say, starting out at a misses 2, that probably translates to somewhere around a juniors 5
    a misses 4- juniors 7
    misses 6- juniors 9
    so a misses 12 roughly translates to a juniors 15, but juniors sizes run smaller.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    From what I remember from home ec. 30 years ago... juniors pants are pretty much straight up and down on the waist and hips with slim thighs. Misses have more hip to waist ratio and regular thighs. Womens have even more waist to hip ratio and slightly larger thighs.
  • mariosmares
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out this same thing. I'm a size 2 in women pants right now and they are a little big on me. What size would I be in Juniors?
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    im in a 13 juniors,,I dont really try on womens sizes as the juniors are just so freaking much cuter! yes,I am 47 and want CUTE!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It depends. Sometimes the juniors section (or store) is just smaller sizes and they make them small (not vanity sized).

Or they size them in odd numbers.

Women's sizes:
    00,0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12.....
    Juniors sizes:
    0, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13.... (and they are smaller than women's sizes).

Some petite sizes are made smaller than non-petite sizes as well.

And then if you are small, you can sometimes wear children's large sizes (if it is a type of clothing that doesn't need to fit your curves) and that would be a high number.

Also, not all juniors sizes are made without curves because teenagers have curves too. But, it depends. A lot of clothing is not made to fit curves, and going to a tailor can help with that. I have a 23 inch waist and 34 inch booty/hips, so often need to get the waist taken in.