Am I the only one to be in love with my scales?...

Options
I WEIGHT IN 5 TIMES A DAY!

I think this will sound crazy to most of you... That's why I want to share it and know your opinions or even if I'm not alone. I'll try to keep it short and clear, English isn't my first language. :tongue:

So far I've lost 20kg (44 lbs) in 3 months, I'm almost done, and it hasn't been until now that I discovered MFP so what I was doing to keep control was:

1) I created an Excel Spreadsheet.
2) Weighted in 5 (five) times a day, every day, for 3 months now !!! <---- :noway:
- Morning, when I wake up (9h)
- Before lunch (12h)
- Before gym (18h)
- After gym, right before dinner while being dehydrated from gym (21h)
- Before going to bed (23.30h)
3) I use the mean of those 5 measurements to calculate my weigh for the day.
4) Did some other calculations: Total lost each week, average for the week, speed at which I was losing weight, etc...kg remaining to hit my goal... BMI...even graphs!! I did almost everything you can do to those numbers on a spreadsheet . :embarassed:
5) And using data obtained at point #4 I made predictions on when I was going to achieve my goals.

I think this has been POSITIVE for me for a few reasons: :drinker:
a) UNDERSTANDING my own body - just basics - for instance:
- After gym weight is always the lowest, because of all the sweating. (I weight in before drinking fluids).
- Morning one is also lower because of all the non-eated food during my sleep :bigsmile:
- Seeing how my body responds after a cheat day.
- No problems with wondering if those grams are water or just fat, never had to worry about water retention :indifferent:
- Long etc.

b) SELF CONTROL:
- I got to know so much my body, I almost could predict what I was going to weight even before stepping up!... so NO SURPRISES. After a cheat day, I knew exactly what to expect, and how it was a temporary weight gain that I could compensate next day.
- With so much data I can perfectly see the progress, and what I am doing wrong, meaning it is instant feedback!
- As you can see, this gives me lots of control of my progress!

c) MOTIVATION:
- "Dude don't eat that or in a few hours, when you step in there, you will get a very disappointing number" :noway:
- Since I'm forced by Excel to weight in 5 times a day... It is harder to drop the wagon.
- Seeing the weight repercussion of my intake makes me see short term results... And that helps getting motivated!.

Important NOTES:
Thanks to sheer luck I use medical scales that I keep calibrated and I think it is VERY precise!
http://www.seca.com/fileadmin/media/products/seca_709/images/detail/709_600x600_detail.jpg

I'm aware guidelines tell us to weight ourselves once a week! I just do it 35 times more often! :blushing:

Let me clarify: I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS! :grumble: I guess you need a precise scales and to be weird as hell as I am.
WHAT DOCTORS RECOMMEND IS ONCE A WEEK! (and I guess they do it because it's proven to be better :bigsmile: )

Opinions? Criticism? Anyone else is doing something similar? I want to know what you think about this! Or even if I'm not the only one!

If anyone wants to see my excel file, just ask me and I'll send it to you.

PS I'm not crazy, my mom had me tested :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea, as long as it works for you, keep doing it!:) I personally didn't even want to buy a scale coz I knew I'd be weighting myself very hour lol so I just use my boyfriends scale when I go to his house.

Oh and I dont trust gym scales..
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I personally could never do that...seems like a lot of work. BUT It sounds like an amazing idea and shows just how motivated you are. So dude thats awesome!!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to weigh often but when I was trying to lose weight I bought some and weighed more often.

I didn't weigh as often but did it twice a day for a while to see the difference in water retention from my previous diet and after going gluten free/low carb.

I found that previously eating regular bread, wheat based cereal or toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and potato, rice, pasta etc with dinner I would fluctuate by 3-5 lbs a day. At my monthly cycle I could go up 6-10lbs and all the water that went on..wouldn't come off straight away.. after a week I the number I got would be what had come off and I had to spend rest of month trying to get back to what I was before. eg I could put 6 lb water on but only lose 2 lb after

Since going gluten free/low carb I only fluctuate by 1 lb a day, monthly its not going up as much and coming straight off afterwards, making it much easier to see what I'm losing and get back on track.