Can anyone give their thoughts/advice on the 30 Day Shred?

Options

Replies

• wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels, I did 30DS, ripped in 30 and i'm currently doing 6 weeks 6 pack, what I love about them it's that they're only 20-30 mins and I haven't done any other exercise, haven't follow any special diet (just staying under my calorie goal most of the time) and I've lost 0.5 lbs per week (and inches too). Another thing, is that before the shred I had never ever done any type of circuit training or exercise involving weights, I couldn't even do a decent push-up!, and now i feel so strong :P they're so short and so effective. I highly recommend it, but I have to warn you... the 3rd day you'll be soooore, but it will get better ;)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    didn't work for me personally. there are workouts for different people. it's only 30 days. try it out. if it's not giving you results, try something else. i wish i heeded this advice years ago, lol. i thought it was just me, but really, some workouts work for some people and for others, not so much.
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Girl, how did you get past the not being able to do a pushup? Like I said before, I have almost no upper body strength and cannot do a push up!
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    didn't work for me personally. there are workouts for different people. it's only 30 days. try it out. if it's not giving you results, try something else. i wish i heeded this advice years ago, lol. i thought it was just me, but really, some workouts work for some people and for others, not so much.

girl how did you get past not being able to do a pushup? Like I said before, I have almost no upper body strength and cannot do a pushup!!
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I did it two days last week and my whole body hurt for the two days after that. I'm not sure if can do it every day for a month, but that's my goal. I don't know if any of you know about this, but where I live I get Execise On Demand with my cable package and a bunch of the Jillian Michaels workouts are on there so I didn't have to order the DVDs online.

I didn't think I could either, but the more I did it the better I started feeling and it helped with the soreness. I am on day 5 now :) You can do it!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I love 30DS! I'm so out of shape that it works almost instantaneously on me :laugh:

Having completed it once, level one is now too easy, which shows my fitness has improved, but level two is still a killer. I want to get so that level 2 isn't a killer any more, then up the weights. I LOVE level two, just because the moves are more fun than level one.
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I love 30DS! I'm so out of shape that it works almost instantaneously on me :laugh:

Having completed it once, level one is now too easy, which shows my fitness has improved, but level two is still a killer. I want to get so that level 2 isn't a killer any more, then up the weights. I LOVE level two, just because the moves are more fun than level one.

What kind of success have you had with it Oishii?
  • jakki_brown
    Options

What kind of success have you had with it Oishii?
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I have about 5 days left on the 30ds, and Id say its not to bad. They are about 30min long workout (5 min warm up, 3 sets of 3 min strength, 3 sets of 2 min cardio, 3 sets of 1 min abs), and not to bad. I dont find it to be incredibly high impact, so I can make it trhough the day just fine, but a great sweat to start the day off with. For guys, Id suggest adding in extra strength training, and I would suggest maybe do the dvd a second time, or at least a slightly lower intensity workout later in the day, but its pretty good
  • topaz23
    topaz23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of the 30DS and I honestly already feel a difference. I definitely have much more endurance and strength to finish the workout. Am actually very surprised at how fast I started to feel strong. That is not without saying it is easy. It is not by any means but you have to really push yourself and just think of the results you want. The end result I know will be amazing just by how I am feeling on day 3... day 30 will be a true testament to what motivation and dedication can do!
  • savvymommy2012
    savvymommy2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Jillian Michaels. She is amazing. I don't do her DVDs everyday for 30 days like it says too but I have them for when I can't stand the thought of going to the gym.

30 day Shred and Ripped in 30 are the exact same concept. I prefer the latter because she basically took what didn't work from the Shred and changed it in Ripped. The exercises are more challenging and the strength session in it consists of three 30 second which I find much better because I could never finish out the full minute in Shred. I know at wal-mart they're the same price so if you don't have either I recommend getting Ripped in 30.

I really think you would see results if you were to do the full 30 days. I just can't stand doing the same thing every day. But I think you would lose both weight and inches if you were to keep it up. You just have to monitor your calories as well to offset the muscle gain with fat loss.

I have a set of 3 and 5 pound weights for it that I switch between depending on the exercise. And as far as pushups go Jakki, I have to do them on my knees and still sometimes take a little break. My upper body strength is crap too. Our family comes by that honestly haha.

Good luck everybody!!!
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I just completed day 1 of the 30 Day Shred and I'm shaking. I did take water breaks and did not make it through all the jumping jacks without a break. Please tell me this gets easier! Lol
  • beckih
    beckih Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for 23 days now. I'm doing each level for 10 days....currently on day 3 of level 3. It is tough, but I LOVE it. I had not done any exercise prior to this and I was able to just jump right in. I have lost 9 pounds. I didn't take measurements, but I did take photos at day 1 and day 20 (too shy to post), and I can totally see the difference. After getting through the pain caused by the first three days, I felt so much better...had more energy, etc. I was skeptical that this would work with only having to do it 20 minutes a day, but it is intense. If you do it, just stick it out and keep moving. I can't do some of the plyo moves in level 3, so I just do jumping jacks. Good Luck!
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I am on day 3 of the 30DS and I honestly already feel a difference. I definitely have much more endurance and strength to finish the workout. Am actually very surprised at how fast I started to feel strong. That is not without saying it is easy. It is not by any means but you have to really push yourself and just think of the results you want. The end result I know will be amazing just by how I am feeling on day 3... day 30 will be a true testament to what motivation and dedication can do!

I sure hope so. I finished today and I'm so exhausted by it. I could not finish it without taking small breaks (which meant a ran over to my bottle of water). This is day 1 for me!! We should keep on motivating one another!
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I have been doing it for 23 days now. I'm doing each level for 10 days....currently on day 3 of level 3. It is tough, but I LOVE it. I had not done any exercise prior to this and I was able to just jump right in. I have lost 9 pounds. I didn't take measurements, but I did take photos at day 1 and day 20 (too shy to post), and I can totally see the difference. After getting through the pain caused by the first three days, I felt so much better...had more energy, etc. I was skeptical that this would work with only having to do it 20 minutes a day, but it is intense. If you do it, just stick it out and keep moving. I can't do some of the plyo moves in level 3, so I just do jumping jacks. Good Luck!

I am skeptical, too. But after just one day, I feel like I got just as much of a work out as I would have at the gym. It is very intense and I'm nervous for tomorrow.

Have you changed your diet any? I know the DVD says you could lose up to 20 lbs in a month, but I'm doubting that too. I do lose weight fairly well in the beginning, so we'll see! :) Congrats on your 9lbs lost!
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It does get easier!! you won't believe how much you can improve in just a few days! I usually started a level with many breaks for water and to catch breath, and the last days of the level I could do it non-stop. It's awesome :)
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    How do you get past the boringness of it? Listening to the same instruction is going to drive me nuts, but I feel like I will need to sound so I know what's going on and I can focus more on posture.
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just completed day 1 of the 30 Day Shred and I'm shaking. I did take water breaks and did not make it through all the jumping jacks without a break. Please tell me this gets easier! Lol

YES it does, but you have to push yourself to do it tomorrow and the next few days even though you think your gonna die if you try lol I fought with myself for several hours on day 2 wanting to do it but hurting so bad I didn't think I COULD do it lol but once I kicked my butt in gear and did it, the soreness got better to the point of about 10 minutes in I wasn't sore anymore. Once done I could feel it again and so one, but I am now on day 5 in a row and the soreness is 80% gone now :)
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I plan on fighting through it. I go to the gym regularly, so the sweating and working out isn't what got me. I'm used to machines that are easy on you. On an elliptical or ATM you don't have to carry your weight.. same goes for machine weight lifting. Last night my boyfriend was laughing at me using 3lb weights while watching tv and he said he could do 1000 of those and got to 30 and told me he was sorry. Lol.

It's new for me, but I need to push myself to do things that aren't easy. I've gotten in a routine at the gym and it's just not cutting it right now. Maybe I'll be able to switch back and forth. I would love to be able to run and I think this DVD is going to help me get there more than the gym will.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    How do you get past the boringness of it? Listening to the same instruction is going to drive me nuts, but I feel like I will need to sound so I know what's going on and I can focus more on posture.

You can mute the dvd and play music. You can follow what she is doing without having to listen to her. :smile: