Tips for Running in Bad Weather

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
Today is rainy and cold, which reminds me....

That this winter is probably going to be ICY and SNOWY, which I absolutely hate!

Recently started running and like to run outside... but don't really want to be a slave on the treadmill this winter...

Don't want to get sick from running outside .... so how do I run outside when there is two feet of snow on the ground ??? hahaha!

Replies

• CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    slow, safe, and careful. Do not overdress. Wear hat and gloves. stay in well lit low traffic areas. be visual.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    my coach says it doesn't matter what type of weather it is outside... he says running in the cold/wet is not what gets you sick... not warming up AFTER the run is what makes you sick... so as soon as you are done, go inside and GET OUT OF YOUR WET CLOTHES, and warm up ASAP! :D

i think it might be because your body temp rises from the running.. idk why. i trust him tho :D !
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You can buy things to put on your sneakers, Yak traks or something like that. I have not tried them.

Generally, I try to find neighborhoods where roads are less used and cleared, like a residential neighborhood. You can run on the side of the road safely. I will also head out on the sidewalks if cleared or packed enough that I can run, but not icy.
    On days where it really isn't possible, like immediately after a snowstorm, I suck it up and head to the gym treadmill. I will do intervals or something to pass the time instead of just running at a steady pace. I find that more tolerable.

As for the weather, once I learned how to dress properly, there really isn't an issue. I will go out in most weather, except maybe cold, heavy rain. Layers are the key.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    sweet! i'm excited about running in weird weather this year !! :)

Last year, we had an ice storm that locked me in my apartment for 5 days. That was NOT fun and I hope that doesn't happen again this year.. but good tips :)

yeah my main thing is i dont want to slip and fall !!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    .... so how do I run outside when there is two feet of snow on the ground ??? hahaha!

Get cross country skis and do that instead. It is a great workout.

I know that probably won't be an option for most runners, but it avoids the dangers of trying to run on ice.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Well, after you shovel the 2 feet of crap off your driveway, you go inside and warm up, calculate your calories burned, post on FB/MFP and the likes, get something to eat, and wait until tomorrow to run.

Once things have been plowed, dress in layers, go slow, curl your toes, and make a go of it. If you're running in the early morning or after the sun sets, wear reflective gear so people can see you coming. Watch out for black ice.

Or, hibernate until spring. The dreadmill isn't as bad in the ice/snow/cold weather as it is in the spring, summer, and fall.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Viruses make people sick.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    I won't head out if it's really raining. I then become the slave to the inside workouts on treadmills or bikes. I am hoping that this winter isn't too bad.

Virus's don't always make people sick. I am asthmatic and a chill and dampness can make me very sick.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    This. Being cold does not make you sick.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    This. Being cold does not make you sick.

Makes me sick thinking about it. Not a winter person at all!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Unless you live in Colorado, I doubt it will snow every single day this winter. Just take it day by day. Beanie hat, gloves, compression pants and long sleeve top. Once you start running, your body will warm up and you will probably want to strip down to bare bones at that point.

I have a 5k this Saturday and they are calling for snow/rain mix in NJ from this storm coming through. Oh Joy!

And you don't get sick from cold weather. That is a classic myth :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of running tights and a good jacket that keeps the wind and rain off, a hat and gloves. Add a few layers depending on the temp.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Removable layers!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I just got some new trail shoes for the winter :) Yay!
    Plus I'm moving house to the other side of town where I will be right next to the start of my favourite trail :)