I need help!!

Options
So i'm in college and living in a dorm on a meal plan and i've gained 10 pounds sense school started =[ I can't do it and i'm so disappointed I'm on the verge of crying. I can't believe I'v gained so much in such a short time period and i feel like i'm back at the beginning. counting calories is hard because I am on a meal plan so i'm not really sure what exactly goes into my food. I'm surround by chips and fries, pizza and cookies and I don't know how to get the will power to just say no. My pattern I've been in right now is I lose 2 pounds in a week then the next week from restricting my food I'm craving everything that I just cave and give in and the gain it all back the next week. How do I stay to motivated and in control and balanced. I don't want to give up because I do want to lose weight but losing 60 pounds seems so unrealistic now that i feel like what's the point. Please help. I need friends to help push me and challenge and help me get over this hump.

Replies

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    That's a tough situation to be in but we're here for you! Giving up is so much easier to do sometimes than it is to fight for something. You can do this. Maybe, instead of worrying about losing 60 pounds...work on it 5 or 10 pounds at a time. This is doable!!! *hugs*
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I went to University. I gained 15 pounds, and because there were so many unhealthy, deep-fried options, I sabotaged myself on a daily basis. However, my school also offered salads, and a sandwich place (Kind of like Subway) - I hope yours offers the same. The more fresh food you can get in, the better off you'll do. Try to avoid all the deep fried things or "junk food" options. You can do it. It just takes determination. It's hard when you can't prepare your own food and you have to eat what they give you. Good luck.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't live in the dorms anymore, but I am still in school and the things that have helped me the most is moderation. If you want a piece of pizza go ahead and have one with a salad and water or juice, but make sure to stop at one piece if your still hungry go get some more veggies or fruit from the salad bar. Does your school have a sandwhich station those are always nice and great ideas. So, if I were you I would just work on moderating my food intake so you dont deprive yourself and end up binging.
  • dannylives
    Options
    I say if you want a cookie or something, just eat it. AS LONG AS ITS JUST ONE. Eat it then run away from it. Next day, just take one bite of the pizza, and get away from it again. Drink lots of water! Kick your *kitten*! Say, "Aw hell NO I'm not gonna eat that!" Stomp your foot and take off to go devour a huge salad. Im not that big a help. sorry. Just some thoughts. Truthfully though. Maybe you just have to eat very little amounts of that food and only lose say ONE pound a week, if thats gonna mean that you wont gain all the weight back? I really dont know.
  • Immaskinnycow
    Immaskinnycow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I first started this lifestyle change, I had 105 pounds to shed. I have shed 65 pounds to date. It seems weird to me to say I only have 40 pounds left to shed then maintain forever.

In college a lot of people (females) gain their "freshmen 10" quickly then level out. Dont think of this as a diet, or that you can't have certain foods. For me, it was easier not to deny myself certain foods. If I wanted them, I atre them, just not the quantity that I had before. Instead of eating 5 oreos, I would eat one. It is a lifestyle change. Make adjustments slowly. Don't worry about what the scale says. It will happen. Give yourself time to adjust to college life. Don't add extra stress over gaining or not losing weight. Stress can do strange things to your body. Drink a huge glass of water before each meal. Find what will work for you. Best of luck to you!! You CAN do it!!
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Been there done that and it was hard to make the right choices when you didn't really know what you were eating. There are healthier choices in the cafeteria you just have to look for them. The first year is hard. Just remember that you can do it with a little work. Fresh salad or vegetables are great alternatives to the fried sides with lunches and fruit is great for desert. Good Luck, and if you ever need any help or motivation there are plenty of people here to help you. :)