is my body done...even though I'm not?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It is definitely harder to lose when you are already within your healthy weight range. You are probably at your body's *Happy Weight*. I'm sure you already look awesome and congratulations on losing so much. That's dedication! Just don't get too thin. That isn't a good look.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    For someone like you who has had the drive and determination to lose 102 pounds, I am positive that not being able to lose that last 12 pounds has nothing to do with you not trying hard enough. To me, you look very thin in your photo. Maybe your body is done because you don't have any more to lose. How tall are you? Congratulations on a job well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks!!! I am 5'3" 123.8lbs and 20.5% estimated body fat, and a size 3/4 on a small frame! I want 18% body fat, and 112lbs though!
  • tjradd73
    Options
    It is definitely harder to lose when you are already within your healthy weight range. You are probably at your body's *Happy Weight*. I'm sure you already look awesome and congratulations on losing so much. That's dedication! Just don't get too thin. That isn't a good look.

thanks :) I def dont think that I am too thin...but I am being cautious not to fall into healthy habits and ranges just to get to my goal lbs :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, but you are so close now, it is very hard to lose. I lost 12 of my 15 lbs. in 2 mos, and it has taken 3 more mos. to lose 2 more lbs. I still have 1 to go.
  • kayleeblue
    Options
    You mentioned weight training and JM 30DS...I don't consider that as weight training..Up you weights. That should help tone and shape a little bit more. But again, if you gain muscle the scale may go up..Good Luck.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    My story: I have lost a total of 102lbs and would like to lose another 12lbs!! I am 5'3" @ weigh 123.8lbs right now with a goal of 112lbs (my healthy range is 107-121lbs). I have decided that I would stop before then IF I was happy with where I was at...I'm not! From 5/4/11 until now, I have only lost 7.5lbs. I have also WAY slowed down on losing inches and body fat%.

What I have tried: I have tried UPPING my cals, UPPING my protein, LOWERING my carbs, increasing my days working out, increased my strength, increasing my cardio, zig-zagging, and having a spike day....with very LITTLE progress over the past 6 months!!!

Is my body done losing lbs and inches? What else might I try that I haven't yet? Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!!

Tara:smile:

What's your body fat percentage? Your pounds of fat can be too low.
  • tjradd73
    Options
    My story: I have lost a total of 102lbs and would like to lose another 12lbs!! I am 5'3" @ weigh 123.8lbs right now with a goal of 112lbs (my healthy range is 107-121lbs). I have decided that I would stop before then IF I was happy with where I was at...I'm not! From 5/4/11 until now, I have only lost 7.5lbs. I have also WAY slowed down on losing inches and body fat%.

What I have tried: I have tried UPPING my cals, UPPING my protein, LOWERING my carbs, increasing my days working out, increased my strength, increasing my cardio, zig-zagging, and having a spike day....with very LITTLE progress over the past 6 months!!!

Is my body done losing lbs and inches? What else might I try that I haven't yet? Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!!

I am at approx 20% body fat right now, and shooting for 18%
  • AZackery
    Options

I am at approx 20% body fat right now, and shooting for 18%

Tjradd73,

Your information: Weight: 123.8 Body Fat percentage: 20%

Formula:

Weight x body fat percentage = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat - Pounds of lean body mass

123.8 x 20% (.20) = 24.76 (Rounded off 25 Pounds of fat)
    123.8 - 25 = 98.8 (This amount is the required lean body mass for your body)

If you want to get down to 18% body fat percentage, you don't have to lose 11.8 pounds of scale weight (123.8 - 112= 11.8) to get there. Focus on losing pounds of fat. Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing.

To get down to 18% body fat, you will have to lose 100% of pounds of fat. The amount of pounds of fat you have to lose is 3. It will take you from 123.8 scale weight to 121 scale weight. Getting down to 121 pounds will take time, if you go the fat loss route. The healthy weight loss is to lose 1 to 2 pounds of fat a week, 4 to 8 pounds of fat a month. You aren't the far away from 18%. Aim to lose between 1/2 to 1 pound of fat a week. You can do this, with healthy eating and exercise. You might need to take your exercise to the next level and up your calories.
  • tjradd73
    Options

Tjradd73,

Formula:

If you want to get down to 18% body fat percentage, you don't have to lose 11.8 pounds of scale weight (123.8 - 112= 11.8) to get there. Focus on losing pounds of fat. Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing.

To get down to 18% body fat, you will have to lose 100% of pounds of fat. The amount of pounds of fat you have to lose is 3. It will take you from 123.8 scale weight to 121 scale weight. Getting down to 121 pounds will take time, if you go the fat loss route. The healthy weight loss is to lose 1 to 2 pounds of fat a week, 4 to 8 pounds of fat a month. You aren't the far away from 18%. Aim to lose between 1/2 to 1 pound of fat a week. You can do this, with healthy eating and exercise. You might need to take your exercise to the next level and up your calories.

so UP my cals even more...and UP my ST??? and shoot for 121lbs to get 18% body fat?!
  • AZackery
    Options

Tjradd73,

Formula:

so UP my cals even more...and UP my ST??? and shoot for 121lbs to get 18% body fat?!

I don't know how much calories you are eating. Sometimes, when a person is in plateau mood, it's because they need to up their calories. Please focus more on the 18% body fat percentage, then 121 pounds. Why? Because scale weight loss and pounds of fat loss aren't the same thing. Tomorrow you can step on the scale and get a scale weight of 121, but that doesn't mean you have lost 3 pounds of fat.

For example: If you stepped on the scale tomorrow and your reading is: 121 pounds 20% body fat percentage. This will be your results.

Weight: 121
    BF: 20%
    Pounds of fat: 24.2 (24 rounded off)
    Pounds of lean body mass: 97

What would this mean?

It would mean that you have lost 1 pound of fat and 2 pounds of lean body mass.

Your original information:

Weight: 123.8
    BF: 20%
    Pounds of fat: 25
    Pounds of lean body mass: 99

123.8(124 rounded off) - 121 = 2.8 (3 pounds rounded off)
    20% - 20% = 0
    25 - 24 = 1 pound of fat
    99 - 97 = 2 pounds of lean body mass

I don't know how often you weigh yourself. If you have mentioned it, then I must have overlooked it. I weigh myself once a month. I track my body fat percentage, pounds of fat loss and inches loss. I know that it will take a while for me to get to my body fat percentage goal. I'm not in a rush.

Again, don't focus on 121. Focus on 18%. When you get there and you subtract your end results from your current results, you will see that it turns out to be 3 pounds of fat loss. When you lose 100% pounds of fat, your scale weight loss will match the pounds of fat loss number.

You can do this. I'm here to cheer you on.
  • tjradd73
    Options
    thanks!! I left you a PM with my NEW plan :)
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You are at a normal weight for your height. I have friends that do crossfit and that may help you become increase muscle mass and lose inches. I agree with the person that said the closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to lose.
  • Yovocheko
    Options

Now that you are in your final stage, some minor tweaks will probably help give you the desired weight:
    1) watch what kind of fats you eat, stay away from the saturated and trans
    2) when you are eating carbs, make sure to sustain a steady flow throughout the day, if your body takes in too much at one time, that is when the extra is converted into fat.. so if you are away for 16 hours and are shooting for the 200g mark, try to eat 50 g every 4 hours.. (also, look up the glycemic index to see what carbs take longer to break down which will sustain hunger)
    3) weight training will not improve a significant weight loss unless you are endurance lifting (high reps, low weight) which is a moderate form of cardio, however not too beneficial to you since you are in good shape as it is, but if you want to tone more muscles, try doing multi joint exercises which will stimulate more hormone release (and repair) but otherwise stick to the cardiovascular exercising
    4) when your body is resting, it is mainly using fat as its primary energy source (some carbs are used too, but carbs are saved in case you need immediate energy) so two things, when you lift first, you are increasing the release of your hormones that burn fat, and then if you run afterwards, you will increase the blood flow, stimulating more fat usage.. just make sure to keep your running light! (like 5 mph on the treadmill, slow but very effective in burning fat) this is because your body will primarily use the oxidative phosphorilation metabolic cycle, beta oxidizing triglycerides (fat molecules) for fuel.. (aka, the easier your breathing/oxygen supply to your working muscles, the more you will utilize fat energy) ..

it is very minor tweaks that should give you a .5Ib weight loss per week, periodize your workouts to you don't have muscle failure, but keep it light, and if you don't have a lot of time, quick lift first and then do your cardio.. watch what types of carbs and fats you intake, and overall you will see some desired changes while maintaining a healthy lifestyle!

hope it helps.
  • tjradd73
    Options
    TY!!