vitamin water and diet shakes?

Hi ladies

Everyone here has been so helpful I had a few additional questions

I gave up soda about 2 mnths ago...(used to drink 2 cans of regular coke per day)
I don't drink coffee or tea....I really need something besides plain water once a while
I never bought the hype of vitamin waters...are they any good...worth the calories?

I'm also curious about the slimfast or atkins diet/protein shakes
I have 2 small kids and was looking for something quick to grab on the go etc...something to use maybe a few times per week....any recs?

thanks a bunch , kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Hi ladies

Everyone here has been so helpful I had a few additional questions

I gave up soda about 2 mnths ago...(used to drink 2 cans of regular coke per day)
    I don't drink coffee or tea....I really need something besides plain water once a while
    I never bought the hype of vitamin waters...are they any good...worth the calories?

I'm also curious about the slimfast or atkins diet/protein shakes
    I have 2 small kids and was looking for something quick to grab on the go etc...something to use maybe a few times per week....any recs?

thanks a bunch , kim
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    I use EAS carb advantage protein drinks. they are about a buck or so each easy to find in the stores have great flavors 110 calories each, all the vitamins you could possible want, 17g protein and about 5 carbs. I drink one at 11 each day to hold me till my 1:30 lunch and they work really well for me.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Vitamin water has a ton of sugar. It's really not much different from regular soda.
    If you want a flavored water, go for the calorie free or make your own with some lemon juice and splenda :smile:

SlimFast is also really high in sugar. The EAS drinks flachix recommended are much better. The strawberry is so tasty!
  • I am addicted to Vitamin Waters. I really think that they are worth the calories. I drink the Glaceau brand and they are only 50 calories and worth 2.5 glasses of water. They are a great way to add some flavor to my day. I limit myself to only one a day. Everybody is different and you need to first find something that you like that is low in calories and still satisfies you.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Thanks for the recs
    Can I find the EAS drinks at Shoprite?

Thanks, kim
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I drink the Glaceau brand and they are only 50 calories and worth 2.5 glasses of water.

per serving.....

if you are hungry and looking for something easy to grab and go get fruit ready for you and the kids.

If if's just the water thing, first there is no substitute for good old plain water, but I do like to have the occassional no sugar iced tea or add a little lemon juice to my water, or an orange rind. I am just one that prefers to save my calories for meals and not all the meal replacements and such.

As far as the vitamin water, I like the orange, and I like it better than gatorade because it isn't as sweet and I do keep these on hand for when I feel uber thirsty. If you are dehydrated, or feeling thirsty, sports drinks and water with some fruit juice in it are the fastest way to get rehydrated!!!
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Try the vitamin water that costco sells called Vita-Rain. NO CALORIES NO SUGAR!!! It tastes great and has nothing in it! My mom bought them for my Dad when he started having blood sugar problems and now the whole family drinks them they are great!! They come in a variety of flavors and each has a different combination of vitamins foucusing on Strength, Immunity, Alertness and so on.
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    I drink slim fast optima everyday for breakfast and i love it. I also drink propel fitness water and lvoe that also. give that a try and 25 calories cant beat that.
  • i really don't like the vitamin waters-being an ex-soda drinker I am a fan of flavor, what I do is I have a glass of 4c iced tea for dinner. Its about 70 calories for 8oz. Or you can try the new gator-ade that is 50 calories for a whole bottle. Besides that I really do stick with water. So far I have lost 3 1/2 pds and its been about 1 1/2 week. :flowerforyou: hope this helped.
  • Nich0le
    Keep in mind everyone that the shakes are not as healthy as they claim, you need real fiber to keep your colon clean, and liquid fiber does not do the job as well as fibrous material that can "sweep" your intestines and colon.

You will also find that less and less "professionals" are recommending meal replacement shakes and bars because nothing substitutes for real food.
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Keep in mind everyone that the shakes are not as healthy as they claim, you need real fiber to keep your colon clean, and liquid fiber does not do the job as well as fibrous material that can "sweep" your intestines and colon.

You will also find that less and less "professionals" are recommending meal replacement shakes and bars because nothing substitutes for real food.
    This may be true, but if you check out www.bodyforlife.com they promote and encourage the EAS protein shakes and bars as a snack during the day or before or after a workout! I know I have a couple of shakes a day but I dont buy the premixed shakes, I buy the powder and mix my own since its cheaper and I mix mine with water instead of milk.
  • flachix
    Number 4 on that page is the product I buy. I am sure there are bunches out there. I get them at the super store 6pk for 7.50 ish. My friend at work gets them at the buyers club and they are even cheaper by the case. I like to mix and match so I don't do a case at a time. I feel this is a good product. I haven't heard or tried the vitamin waters. I am going to pick some up this week and give them a try. I hate water. seriously hate the taste. ugh. and I don't get enough. so this might be the answer. thanks.
  • Nich0le
    [[/quote]
    This may be true, but if you check out www.bodyforlife.com they promote and encourage the EAS protein shakes and bars as a snack during the day or before or after a workout! I know I have a couple of shakes a day but I dont buy the premixed shakes, I buy the powder and mix my own since its cheaper and I mix mine with water instead of milk.
    [/quote]

You will notice that you are taking that advice from a source that is more than likely a paid advertiser for the product. These products may be good for awhile but eventually you have to learn to eat.
  • amandastamey
    [
    [/quote]

You will notice that you are taking that advice from a source that is more than likely a paid advertiser for the product. These products may be good for awhile but eventually you have to learn to eat.
    [/quote]

The website I used as a reference is a site that is based on the body for life book. Although the products (EAS) are available for sale on this site it is not the sole purpose of the site. You may want to check it out and you might learn something!
  • flachix
    What brand of sugar free carb free vitamin water should I look for? I use the EAS as a between meal snack at 11:30 instead of something with empty calories. (yes, that's my mantra!!!) it has scads of vitamins and keeps away hunger, plus its chocolate :wink: I like not having to think about what to have. can you get too many vitamins? if I drink the water and the shake and take a multi am I over doing it?
  • Nich0le
    ugh...be stubborn, its ok, we are all a bit set in our ways but you have to learn to eat. People in the 50's, 60's 70's 80's were all lighter weights than we are today and they ate real food. Haven't any of you noticed the more short cuts they make the fatter our nation gets??????
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I did a research paper on splenda and all those other sugar subs...IMO have the pure cane sugar it is natural......moderation!!! IMO all the other stuff is Rat poison...I lost the paper due to my old computer crashing....but think about it...it is produced in a lab....

dd
  • amandastamey
    ugh...be stubborn, its ok, we are all a bit set in our ways but you have to learn to eat. People in the 50's, 60's 70's 80's were all lighter weights than we are today and they ate real food. Haven't any of you noticed the more short cuts they make the fatter our nation gets??????
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nich0le

The website I used as a reference is a site that is based on the body for life book. Although the products (EAS) are available for sale on this site it is not the sole purpose of the site. You may want to check it out and you might learn something!

I use the EAS protein powder in my smoothies, and from a previous post, this is working for you, but I think you will find that less and less meal replacements are being suggested and instead fresh real food is still the best way to feed your body. Personally, and maybe this is why I am against the quick fixes, I am not a fan of the taste, smell, or quality of most of these products and you can get the same nutrients and filling satisfaction if you plan ahead and prepare yourself some food. LIke I said before, eventually we are all going to have to learn to eat real food in real portions if we expect to be successful for life!