This post is about gas (yes farting).

Options
poustotah
poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
First off, this post is going to have WAY TMI so you have been forewarned.

Okay, when I eat crappy food, I get gas. No brainer there. So I don't eat crappy food now. I've actually been cooking out of the 'Cook This Not That' series for a while now and I noticed several weeks ago that after dinner, I get really bad, really stinky gas. So I thought that the problem was the dishes I was preparing and I have been eating modified versions - just plain grilled chicken or seasoned with a bit of garlic or cayenne - nothing too excessive spice wise. Well the gas stopped so I figured that I had it kicked. Tonight I had 2 chicken thighs and I seasoned them with a pinch of salt, cayenne pepper, garlic and paprika. It's the first time I've had chicken thighs in some time. Well I'm back to the super stinky, raunchy gas and my stomach is upset. So I've determined that this must have something to do with something I'm eating.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Replies

• midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    my friend is vegan and swears that his system works so well that he almost never has gas...i like meat, eggs, milk and cheese so i will keep farting!
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    did the chicken thighs have skin on them?
    just curious.
    I get the gnarly gas from lentils, but not all beans (need bean-o), and sometimes from certain white flour products, and then some inexplicable things. Maybe sometimes greasy meats, which is why I ask about the skin. I dunno, a big farting mystery, but I despise it when I have gas that reminds me of the smell of burning tires. I try hard to avoid that, usually succeed... Sometimes raw onions seem to have an impact, too.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Porridge helps to drive gas out of you if you are rather gassy.

Else, I seem to be gassy all the time, so don't ask me how to avoid being gassy.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Try cutting the garlic. It's not a super common gas-causer but real garlic will seriously mess my stomach up and even garlic powder will give me gas, after posting about it several months ago, MFPers suggested it and I made the same recipes minus garlic which had given me bad gas before and they didn't do that anymore after I cut the garlic.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I've heard somewhere that garlic can cause gas, but since you had it on your chicken before without getting it, I'm not sure.

What did you have WITH the chicken? What were your side dishes?

Some people get gas when they have more fiber than usual (I regularly get 40 grams or more each day and my body is used to it), others if they have too much protein, and others get it from food sensitivities.
  • harleigh67
    Options
    I know its a problem for some people, but I had to laugh and read the post after that heading....See women don't fart.... we whisper in our panties....I have a medication that upsets my stomach, I used to eat well and never had gas, but since I got sick and they gave me this med....I caused me to whisper daily....I swore it was the med and quit taking it sure enough it went away,...Some times its a particular item it could be a food or a medication Its a process of elimination to determine the culprit ....Good Luck
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    See women don't fart.... we whisper in our panties....
    Oh. My. Goodness. That is the FUNNIEST term I have EVER heard for passing gas! Love it! I am going to have to remember that!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I know its a problem for some people, but I had to laugh and read the post after that heading....See women don't fart.... we whisper in our panties....I have a medication that upsets my stomach, I used to eat well and never had gas, but since I got sick and they gave me this med....I caused me to whisper daily....I swore it was the med and quit taking it sure enough it went away,...Some times its a particular item it could be a food or a medication Its a process of elimination to determine the culprit ....Good Luck

"Whisper in our panties" has cracked me up - I can't stop laughing! I have to tell you that my grandmother could let one rip and there was no "whisper" about it. It was so loud it would scare the crap out of you and she did it often.
  • penner3821
    penner3821 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind that gas may be caused by food eaten four to six hours before the most recent meal, as sugars and fibers that are not digested in the small intestine travel to the lower intestine where bacteria begin to break them down and produces gas. You are on the right track in keeping a food diary. You may want to add notes to your diary which tracks other factors, such as gum, stress or the rate of eating, which can also cause gas. Also talk to your doctor and be mindful of other symptoms. It may be a little more serious like IBS or other issue - nothing to worry about, just something to be aware of. Take care :).
  • Bajankat
    Bajankat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Let me reiterate what a recent poster said. You need to check what else you are eating besides the chicken, it could be the fiber in your diet that is working. Fiber gives you gas which can cause loud belly noises (in quiet rooms) and in turn make you have excessive "whispers" I know when my body have been getting enough fiber, my stomach begins to rumble and then comes the Whispers...smelly in the beginning but after a while the smell goes away and then it is just whispers. It isn't a bad thing to have gas because it's your body's way of getting rid of the old nutritiously wrong foods.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty gassy person so I can't help, I've just embraced it and fart freely with my boyfriend. Next time I'm telling him I didn't fart, I just whispered in my panties. SO funny! It has gotten better though watching my carb intake.
  • mouth5667
    Options
    If gas is a problem then I recommend that you NOT eat the Fiber One bars! I'm pretty sure that they are gas compressed into a rectangular shape!!!!!
  • gymguy200
    gymguy200 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    poustotah wrote: »
    First off, this post is going to have WAY TMI so you have been forewarned.

Okay, when I eat crappy food, I get gas. No brainer there. So I don't eat crappy food now. I've actually been cooking out of the 'Cook This Not That' series for a while now and I noticed several weeks ago that after dinner, I get really bad, really stinky gas. So I thought that the problem was the dishes I was preparing and I have been eating modified versions - just plain grilled chicken or seasoned with a bit of garlic or cayenne - nothing too excessive spice wise. Well the gas stopped so I figured that I had it kicked. Tonight I had 2 chicken thighs and I seasoned them with a pinch of salt, cayenne pepper, garlic and paprika. It's the first time I've had chicken thighs in some time. Well I'm back to the super stinky, raunchy gas and my stomach is upset. So I've determined that this must have something to do with something I'm eating.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Does raunchy not mean sexy lol , sexy farts hehehehe

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have this problem when I have dairy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things. Food impacts peoples GI tracks differently.

I eat veggies regularly- many types- broccoli... I can only eat when I'm home alone by myself. Tears me up- it's like something crawled up there and died. Seriously- it's HORRIBLE. There is no whispering in these panties- more like the muffled screams of something dying.

And the problem is I ADORE steamed broccoli. Which means- I get to eat it when I'm by myself and no social functions planned.

Also- salsa- why? no clue- I love it. Makes me ripe as hell.

Tomatoes on there on? no issues
    Pepper on their own? No issues
    Onion on their own? no issues

something about that combination of foods and spices lights me up.

So play around with cutting things out- seasonings- or veggies. It's just any number of problems- only trial and error elimination will help you figure it out.

(I just tell my boyfriend they are my methane cuddles- it's just because I love him so much and I want to keep him warm)... fortunately ... for now.... we don't live together. I shudder to see what happens when we move in LMAO.
  • CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I get gas, when I eat things like onions, garlic, spicy seasoned food, eggs and too much protein in general. I have a very sensitive GI trakt...
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I eat veggies regularly- many types- broccoli... I can only eat when I'm home alone by myself. Tears me up- it's like something crawled up there and died. Seriously- it's HORRIBLE. There is no whispering in these panties- more like the muffled screams of something dying.

And the problem is I ADORE steamed broccoli. Which means- I get to eat it when I'm by myself and no social functions planned.
    I thought I was the only one LOL. I always say I love broccoli but broccoli doesn't like me :smile:

I love steel cut oats but if I have too much I get painful, raunchy, clear the room rumblers.

• Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    CoryIda wrote: »
    See women don't fart.... we whisper in our panties....
    Oh. My. Goodness. That is the FUNNIEST term I have EVER heard for passing gas! Love it! I am going to have to remember that!

ikr? lmaoooo i'm dying over here
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I get gas when I eat crappy foods, but also when I chew gum/have food with artificial sugar (the -ol ending ingredients). I'll have them and then the gas will start a few hours (maybe 2 or 3) after consumption, and usually prompted because I ate something else. Could it be something else you are eating, as well?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

I thought I was the only one LOL. I always say I love broccoli but broccoli doesn't like me :smile:

I love steel cut oats but if I have too much I get painful, raunchy, clear the room rumblers.

nope. Mine issue started in college- and I haven't been able to shake the broccoli farts.

And now when we go to dinner (I usually only go 'out' to dinner with BF which means he is there for the night) I have to ask for other veggie options- and we chuckle to ourselves- only time I order broccoli is if they have NO other veggie options- so it would be meat and more starch LOL.

yeah- steamed broccoli- delicious.

That night- not so delicious.

No sexy time with broccoli for dinner LMAO.