Birthday Goal Accomplished!

Options
Annie5859
Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
Happy Birthday to me! ☺

I am 41 today! What a perfect day to share my story with all of you.

Last year, for my 40th birthday, a couple girlfriends and I went to Banff, a quaint little tourist town nestled in the heart of the rocky mountains. I was very grateful for my friends to be so thoughtful and want to celebrate this birthday milestone with me, but deep down I was dreading it. I was so unhappy with my weight and the way I looked. I felt frumpy and large. But I made the most of it, held my chin up high, and smiled just a little more than usual. But deep inside, my heart was weeping.

I will never forget that night when we went to a dance club. As we were standing in line, the words of one drunken stranger, branded into my mind and unfortunately I can remember it like it just happened yesterday. This guy was wearing a shirt that read, “I don’t date skinny chicks”. My “skinny” friend remarked, “Your shirt has quite the biased comment don’t you think?” The guy slurred back, “No, just how I feel. And you’re not my type by the way. I like ‘em big. Like your friend here.”

And that was when I felt like crawling down a dark hole. I did not like how this “guy” perceived me as “big”. But, I was. I was overweight. This was a turning point for me. I vowed that I would not be considered “big” on my next birthday.

I didn’t start getting really serious about trying to lose weight until the end of January of this year. But when I did, there was no stopping me.

Although the stupidity of a drunken idiot’s t-shirt was the catalyst of spurring me to lose weight, it was not what motivated me each day to continue on. It was the memory of me being a healthy weight, and how I loved the way I looked and felt. My family also planned a trip to Walt Disney World in August and I really wanted to ensure I felt good about my appearance because I knew there would be a lot of family photos.

So I diligently entered what I ate each day and I exercised. That’s the secret to my success; tracking calories and exercising.

On July 19, 2011, I lost 40 pounds and attained my final weight loss goal. I was officially on maintenance. Now, three months later, I have successfully stayed within the 5 pound range I chose for myself.

I have continued to exercise diligently. In May, I made the decision to start running. I began the C25K program and graduated on July 21st. So far I’ve participated in five 5K races. I have 2 more races to run this year. One in November (8K) and one December 31st. I am very proud of myself for accomplishing this goal. Running is a great way to be active and if I can do it, anyone can!

My family holiday to WDW was one made of many cherished memories. I am so thrilled with all the photos that my family and I can look back on and when I do, I know my mind won’t be whispering, “Boy, you look fat.”

So here I am, one year older, one year wiser and living in one body so much healthier and happier. I’m glad I could share my story with you and hope that I may inspire you to continue with your journey. So many of you inspire me to continue with my journey. I know that my journey will never be over. I am just on a new path. I quite like this path, and I am excited to see what I see along the way!

Happy trails to you!

PICT0497-1-2.jpg

Replies

• mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Congrats & Happy Birthday!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!! You look incredible! I would have never guessed your age correctly had you not mentioned it :D lovely indeed!

(it is my birthday today, too! :drinker: (well, the 27th) )
  • geco22
    geco22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing! I went on a family camping trip over the summer and hate how I look in every single picture. I am working on changing that so on next year's trip I will not only look great, but feel great. Thanks again for sharing your story!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Happy Birthday!
  • JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is great congratulations and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.... :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Girly, what you said hit home. I am all watery eyed and I must tell you. I went to Disneyland with my family a bit over a year ago. Every picture I saw, my mind was saying I look fat! I was a heavy 200lbs.. the heaviest I've ever gotten. I saw my double chin creeping up and so every bit of your story meant a lot to me. You are an inspiration for me. I am stuck right now at the 12lb mark and I have to remotivate myself and make some more active changes once again. Thanks Sweetie! Great Job!!!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    WOW thats Awesome:flowerforyou:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You did it!
  • brendacooks
    brendacooks Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A very happy birthday indeed! Thank you for sharing - very inspirational!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Great testimony Annie! I'm so very proud of YOU! Your hard work and dedication has paid off...you will continue to be successful in your maintenance mode. Pictures say a thousand words and your are incredible. I love the healthy new you :-)
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    WOW you look great. What a great story to share. I really appreciate your story. Happy Birthday fellow scorpio! My birthday is October 30th, I have a birthday goal too, but I won't be at my ultimate goal by then! Again, congrats!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    That's such a great story! I'm glad that creep won't want to hit on you again :laugh:

You're always so supportive and I'm so proud and happy for you :flowerforyou:
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    im so happy for u ... congrats hon....
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Happy Birthday Annie!
    Your story is very inspirational to read. I am so thankful to call you friend.
    I am still under half way to my goal and your consistency, determination, and encouragement helps me every single day.

I am thrilled for you to be on maintenance and doing so well.
    Love all your pictures too!
    You transformed yourself and did it the healthy way.

You are also my inspiration for trying the C25K. I have made it to week 4 and I am thrilled about it.
    I don't consider myself a runner by any means but I am doing it ( jiggling all the way ).

Happy birthday sweetie!!!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    ♫Happy Happy Birthday!♫ Whether it's a drunk guys tshirt, a comment, a doctor's order... WHATEVER gets us started and to our goals is truly a good thing... even if wrapped up in Beer breath! :laugh:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Holy wowsers.

yay-everything-is-great.jpg
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    happy birthday!!! you look great!!!
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    congratulations! you look fabulous!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!! Congratulations to you! :) You look great!
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Wtg, Annie! You rock!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!