What food to NOT eat?

Options

Replies

• Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You can choose whatever you want for you...

PERSONALLY, I CHOOSE to stay away from:

Fried foods
    All fast food, I think all of is disgusting and poison
    Heavily processed foods, if I can't pronounce what's in it, I'm not eating it
    Frozen dinners, even "lean" ones
    White rice, white bread, white pasta...once again too many ingredients and they make me feel like crap
    Most meat unless I can treat myself to organic

I'm trying to merge over to mostly organic
    It is a personal preference and I've noticed even changing what I can has helped me feel better

If you're interested I would suggest Food Inc, The future of food, fat head...some of these documentaries are pretty cool
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Other than foods I don't like, I don't refuse to eat anything but I do limit some foods. I try to rarely eat:

anything with a high sugar content
    anything with a high sodium content
    white (processed) grains
    full fat dairy
    fatty meats.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Nothing

and for everyone that is saying they avoid various white products (potatoes, flour, rice, bread etc) what is the logic behind that, and please don't bring up something nonsensical like GI rating

You ask for reasons and then say but don't give me the reason?? How about GL? That is my reason, whether you find it nonsensical or not.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Things I never eat:
    Soda / Pop
    Bacon
    French Fries
    Funnel cake
    Fried Chicken /cry
    Anything deep fried actually...
    Marshmallow
    Butter
    Anything made by Hostess
    Anything from Taco Bell
    White Rice

Things I almost never eat:
    Pizza
    Donuts
    Chocolate
    Ice cream
    McDonalds Breakfast (I can't help myself sometimes.)
    White breads
    Cookies/Cakes/Etc.
    Chinese or Mexican food - my two biggest weaknesses. LOL

You poor, poor girl.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Twinkies and Ho-Ho's. I don't like them. I also don't eat brussels sprouts much - don't like them either. But other than that, I haven't banned anything. I eat some things very infrequently though.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I refuse to eat brussel sprouts....well, any veggie really other than onions & peppers. Especially green ones, unless they are so covered in delicious sauce like Ranch that I can't taste them. Other than that, I eat anything and I really want pizza and donuts now! Oh well, I'll finish my chicken biscuit from Chick Fil A instead.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Things I almost never eat:
    Pizza
    Donuts
    Chocolate
    Ice cream
    McDonalds Breakfast (I can't help myself sometimes.)
    White breads
    Cookies/Cakes/Etc.
    Chinese or Mexican food - my two biggest weaknesses. LOL

No mexican food? No ice cream? *sniffle*sniffle*

I eat tacos or taco salds at least twice a week b/c they are super easy to make pretty healthy and I can usually work a one-scoop sundae into my daily cals once or twice a week.

Also, if you make your own pizza, it's not too bad. We do that once/week with locally made dough and have salad on the side.

Anyhoo...

I haven't eaten meat for 3.5+ yrs...so I guess I avoid that.
    I avoid fast food, soda and HFCS.
    I avoid things with sugar as one of the top 3 ingredients.
    I don't eat frozen dinners, but that's b/c they taste like crap. Same with donuts.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I want! OMNOMNOMNOMMMM!

:laugh:

But, seriously...in the beginning I couldn't eat cheese or pasta because they were my downfall. I still limit pasta but cheese makes a near-daily appearance. Nothing I want is off-limits. :)
    Me too, I have what I want. But I do stop myself from having peanuts or cashews, because I'll scoff the lot. I dont like this 'can't have that, can't have this' mentality.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I eat anything.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I refuse to eat liver. I hate liver. :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for life, not for a diet. I don't avoid any food, because I like to eat. I think my ticker speaks for itself on how that approach works for me.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's healthy to deny myself anything. If I want a slice of pizza I know a big slice with pepperoni is going to be a big calorie hit, but I also know depriving myself makes it all the more likely I'll binge on pizza like things hours later. So I indulge. Every once in a while. Not every day. Not even every week or month. But once in a while. I was in Chicago this past weekend and you can bet your buns I didn't refuse sharing a piece of chocolate chocolate cake with the boyfriend while out to eat. Life is for living, not depriving.

Now, there are certain foods I don't LIKE. Like mustard, mayo, brussel sprouts, really spicy food, red onion, smelly cheeses. I gladly don't eat those :).

I guess I should add that although I think the following things are fine for most people I don't eat them. Fast food, white bread (Whole grain has more fiber and protein, tastes better), soda, artificial sweeteners, and non-grass fed milk.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    You poor, poor girl.

I don't feel deprived, most of the time anyway. lol. I've learned to look at food as fuel for the most part instead of pleasure. Indulgence is what turned me into a depressed, emotional eater. Okay, well, over indulgence. But I think people have put way too much emphasis on the pleasure of eating - I mean duh... that's why so many people are obese. Not that it's a brand new thing, but it's certainly more rampant than ever. Yes, eating can be pleasurable. But the purpose of eating is not to pleasure us, it is to fuel our bodies. So for the majority of my meals, I'm looking for foods that deliver important nutrients only in the most efficient and healthiest way possible. :) Tasting good is just an added bonus. Usually the better things taste, the worse they are for you anyway.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    You poor, poor girl.

I don't feel deprived, most of the time anyway. lol. I've learned to look at food as fuel for the most part instead of pleasure. Indulgence is what turned me into a depressed, emotional eater. Okay, well, over indulgence. But I think people have put way too much emphasis on the pleasure of eating - I mean duh... that's why so many people are obese. Not that it's a brand new thing, but it's certainly more rampant than ever. Yes, eating can be pleasurable. But the purpose of eating is not to pleasure us, it is to fuel our bodies. So for the majority of my meals, I'm looking for foods that deliver important nutrients only in the most efficient and healthiest way possible. :) Tasting good is just an added bonus. Usually the better things taste, the worse they are for you anyway.

Gosh, I was agreeing with everything until the last sentence. Maybe I'm just lucky, but in general I think healthy food tastes better than unhealthy food. Why anyone would wnat to pass up a healthy dinner like blackened catfish, brown rice with mushrooms and asparagus sauted with garlic with a nice glass of wine (for example) for a fast food cheeseburger, fries and soda is beyond my comprehension.

There are exceptions, of course. But mostly I think healthy is tastier.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You poor, poor girl.

Hmmm I am not too sure I agree with all of that. I think food is one of life's greatest pleasures, along with others obvious pleasures of course. :love:

I suppose each to their own, but personally I am not obese or even near obese but I am totally obsessed with food - I watch food TV, I plan my meals, I love food shopping, I love exchanging recipes with friends, eating out with loved ones, and I adore cooking.

It is not "just fuel" to me and I am sure a lot of other people agree. Perhaps many moons ago that is all people saw it as, but it's incredibly pleasurable to a lot of healthy (and of course unhealthy!) people today.
  • eeebee
    Options
    That's not to say I disagree that the purpose of food first and foremost is to fuel us humans. I'm just saying that I disagree that people dont put 'way too much emphasis on the pleasure of eating', it's a way of life and millions of people all over the world base their entire waking lives around food and it's social and pleasurable qualities
  • bcattoes
    Options
    That's not to say I disagree that the purpose of food first and foremost is to fuel us humans. I'm just saying that I disagree that people dont put 'way too much emphasis on the pleasure of eating', it's a way of life and millions of people all over the world base their entire waking lives around food and it's social and pleasurable qualities

I think basing your entire waking lives around food would be a real problem, but I know where you are coming from. I like food too. I like to grow it, read about it, watch TV about it, cook it, eat it etc. I especially like to cook for others. And social gatherings usually revolve around, or at least include, food. But there is no reason that needs to mean unhealthy food.
  • eeebee
    Options

I think basing your entire waking lives around food would be a real problem, but I know where you are coming from. I like food too. I like to grow it, read about it, watch TV about it, cook it, eat it etc. I especially like to cook for others. And social gatherings usually revolve around, or at least include, food. But there is no reason that needs to mean unhealthy food.

Totally with you on that...in fact I think people who have a genuine keen interest in food, teamed with a great passion for it, have a knack of making healthy food taste even better. Now I have discovered so many ways to enjoy vegetables, fruit, lean meats and brown carbs and pulses all through my obsession with food. Without that newfound knowledge and interest, I think I'd be a lot more limited and inclined to eat more junk and convenience foods.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to discard foods you like to eat because of having portion control issues. Part of why I think fit people are fit is because they eat what they want and know how to counter any bad eating. So many people think I eat "spot on" when it's one of the furthest things from the truth.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I was agreeing with everything until the last sentence. Maybe I'm just lucky, but in general I think healthy food tastes better than unhealthy food. Why anyone would wnat to pass up a healthy dinner like blackened catfish, brown rice with mushrooms and asparagus sauted with garlic with a nice glass of wine (for example) for a fast food cheeseburger, fries and soda is beyond my comprehension.

There are exceptions, of course. But mostly I think healthy is tastier.

I just want to clarify, I DO enjoy my food - and I indulge myself from time to time. I have 1 day a week to splurge on pretty much whatever I want, within reason. Healthier usually is tastier, but only after your body has adjusted to eating healthy. If you're used to eating pre-packaged, processed foods, fast foods, etc, 1) you probably don't know how to eat healthy, or even make healthy food taste good. (Like me not too long ago.) It doesn't help when people are subjected to a ton of unhealthy foods constantly on TV. Fast food chains and chain restaurants, even a lot of grocery stores have slim to none when it comes to healthy options. For a lot of people, it's just easier to scarf down a fast food burger than to prepare a healthy, delicious, home-cooked meal. And for some, it is just cheaper. I guess my point is simply that I think food should be looked at as it once was - simply that, food. Nourishment. The simplest of things can often be the most delicious anyway!

When I was eating fast food and junk on a daily basis, I thought vegetables and fruit were disgusting, but of course I would salivate over a double cheeseburger and fries. That's what I meant when I said the better something tastes, the worse it is for you (usually.) Now that I've learned what healthy food CAN be like, I can enjoy it more. But I don't think it's a good idea to put too much importance on enjoying your food - that is what leads some people to over eat. Not all, but some. It's just a personal opinion of mine, I suppose. I feel better about my food knowing it's healthy for me, even if that means sacrificing a little bit of "tastiness" to make it that way. And I've learned to enjoy food for the simplicity of it, rather than all the decadence and ritz added to most of what is considered "delicious" food. I don't feel like I need to have an orgasm in my mouth every time I eat a meal, is really all I want to say I guess. lol. And I think it's better that way. But certainly people should enjoy their food, to an extent.