belly flab & cardio?

Options
My "spare tire" is my problem area, both upper & lower abs especially, and when I've exercised, I've typically done low-impact cardio and/or strength circuits.

I tried a high-impact cardio routine today, and was horrified at the extent to which my belly jiggles doing jumping jacks, running in place, jump squats, or other similar activities.

I wish I could just accept this as motivation to keep working out to LOSE the jiggle, but at the same time, I have to admit, the unpleasantness of it makes me want to avoid intense cardio like the plague.

If you've had belly jiggle, do you have advice on how I might get over my self-consciousness, even though I'm working out alone, in the privacy of my own home? :(

Replies

• boomchickylala
    Options
    I'm hearing ya! I feel exactlly the same.. I bought a pair of bike pants that fit quite tightly and that seems to help stop some of the jiggle. You are right though... we have to put up with a little discomfort now to feel absolutely comfortable down the track.. Good luck with your journey.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I got one of those yoga compression tops. They are sold at alot of stores but I got mine at old navy. It has reduced the movement factor. Doing plyo or jumping jacks was not only wicked uncomfortable but was hurting my self esteem :(. The compression yoga top thing totally works and I feel like a bad@ss
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    my thighs do the same dance as your belly. what about wearing something for lumbar support like this http://www.2care4medical.com/index.cfm?page=Back_Braces,_Supports_and_Belts&eProductID=1203 dont look at the price im sure you can find one for way less
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I got one of those yoga compression tops. They are sold at alot of stores but I got mine at old navy. It has reduced the movement factor. Doing plyo or jumping jacks was not only wicked uncomfortable but was hurting my self esteem :(. The compression yoga top thing totally works and I feel like a bad@ss

i saw a comercial for that at old navy and wondered if it was true. ill have to check out the pants and shorts
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My personal (unprofessional) opinion is to let it bounce. Not if its uncomfortable though, only if its for the sake of visuals. Remember what its like now because its going to go away. The body needs to know where the fat and excess skin is (sp it can use/burn it and letting it jiggle accomplishes that. I have had it on my belly, thighs and my tricep area all of which are reducing in both fat and skin. Think of the long term, it will take a while but YOU WILL be healthier every new day.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I get this myself and it is so annoying! I have to hold it with my hand sometimes :ohwell: I don't know if doing more toning and strength exercises will help me as well as continuing cardio. I feel like I'd end up like one of these people who end up with loose skin once they lose all the weight. I also have bingo wings as well which I need to sort out.
  • sixfeetunder
    Options
    Look at it like this - providing you are maintaining a large enough calorie deficit every day, your 'jiggle' is reducing, every. single. day. Suck it up and ignore the discomfort and soon enough it will stop distracting you. I used to find running on a treadmill extremely embarassing and disheartening for the same reason but after 6 months its not a problem at all now.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Suck it up

Not to be rude OP, but ^ This.

Use it as motivation. Hit the weights hard in addition to your cardio and keep your diet plan in place and a few months from now you can look back on today and see your progress.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    get a compression tee, and then if you feel a little self-concious about it, wear a baggy t-shirt over it untill the jiggle goes away. but you can also try a belly band which can help a little.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel. I joined a Capoeira group for exercise. The uniform is tight and white! I look and feel like the Pilsbury Dough boy !
    However, as I have lost weight. My jowls, belly, flabby arms and man boobs have slowly reduced to the point where I do not feel that my "physique" makes me stand out in a crowd.
    Keep up the work. Vary your routine to keep it interesting. And, go hard on the cardio. Cycling, running, swimming, boxing, martial arts, dancing, what every gets your heart rate up. Most important, have fun!
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    get a compression tee, and then if you feel a little self-concious about it, wear a baggy t-shirt over it untill the jiggle goes away. but you can also try a belly band which can help a little.

I have a compression band as well and love it! I use it when I'm doing cardio and sometimes just around the house. It sounds silly, but it's like spa treatment for your midsection.. You will sweat out the fat, no lie ;) (in my spare time, I also do infomercials.. haha jk)- but in all seriousness, they rock! I got mine at Ross for $5. I've been using it for a month and lost 3 inches in my midsection.. now THAT is true love.. hehe Good Luck!!!