Getting all your calories in...

Options
Ok, I don't get it. Everyone on here is saying how important it is to get your exercise calories in, but don't you want to burn more calories than you eat??? Are you not going to lose if you don't eat those calories??? Someone please help this struggling blonde to understand :bigsmile:

Replies

• jsonnett02
    Options
    Ok, I don't get it. Everyone on here is saying how important it is to get your exercise calories in, but don't you want to burn more calories than you eat??? Are you not going to lose if you don't eat those calories??? Someone please help this struggling blonde to understand :bigsmile:
  • MrsBlaze
    Options
    I'm new at this and I asked the same question a few days ago. Here is how I understand it.
    You are supposed to eat your recommended calories per day. Then, your exercise gives you more calories to consume (the ones you burned). You are supposed to eat those exercise calories so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode and store fat. I hope that makes sense. Good luck!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jbcooley032
    Options
    I think there is a lot of variation on this. For instance my friend who lost over 100 lbs in 3 months did this on a diet that was directed by a doctor. He was put on a 1200 calorie program and was walking for over an hour a day. Obviously he was eating no where near the intake that this site says he should. And even myself it I tried to eat all the calories that it states and the excercise calories I would be so stuffed I would be sick.
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    I am conflicted about this. At first I didn't eat my exercise calories, because I didn't know that is what I was supposed to do. And then when I found out, I began eating them. Only here's the thing--I was losing at a steady pace until I started eating the calories. Then I pretty much didn't lose a thing. So I went back to the old way and started losing again. I am almost afraid to admit it (please, those of you who are true believers of eating your exercise calories--be nice to me) but then I thought, "This is really dumb. I am eating healthily--the best I've eaten in years--and I am feeling great. I have to do what works for ME." So that is why I am coming out and admitting that I do not eat my exercise calories. Try it for yourself. If eating them works for you, then enjoy your extra calories. If it doesn't, don't beat yourself up over it.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Well said. :wink:
  • MattySparky
    Options

MFP calculates your total necessary calories based on your BMR and your daily activity at work etc. Then based on your goal (how much you want to lose each week), it subtracts a certain amount of calories from the total and tells you how many calories you then need to reach your goal. Working out technically buys you extra cals to eat. You have to understand that even if you didn't work out at all, if you stick to the outlined caloric intake that MFP recommends then you are already sitting in a calorie defecit. Does that make sense?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

MFP calculates your total necessary calories based on your BMR and your daily activity at work etc. Then based on your goal (how much you want to lose each week), it subtracts a certain amount of calories from the total and tells you how many calories you then need to reach your goal. Working out technically buys you extra cals to eat. You have to understand that even if you didn't work out at all, if you stick to the outlined caloric intake that MFP recommends then you are already sitting in a calorie defecit. Does that make sense?

This is correct. Think about it, you're stuffed before you even get to 1200 calories? How's that?? Seriously, we all got fat by overeating, so 1200 calories is not going to "STUFF" you. By the way, 1200 cals is very low so if you are eating net calories (calories eaten-calories burned through exercise) of less than 1200 per day and NOT eating your exercise calories back you are literally starving yourself. No Other way to put it. Losses will not be maintainable over time, once you start eating normally again you will gain weight very easily. MFP does the calculations for you. There are lots of different websites out there that don't have you eat exercise cals, but they also don't factor in a deficit the same way MFP does. All programs are different. You chose this one, so I recommend you follow it. There is a reason why so many of us are here and losing steadily.
  • jbcooley032
    Options
    I did not say I was eating 1200 calories, that was the calorie intake that a friend was put on by a medical doctor. I feel absolutely fine after eating only 1500 calories and burning over 1100 calories a day in excercise. For some it might work to eat all those calories but for others it may not. However, when it comes to eating when you are full you are full you should stop eating. I have been averaging anywhere from 1400 to 2000 calories even though the site is saying I should be eating over 3k after excercising (1.92k normal). And what do you mean by when you start eating normal again, the whole point is to make how we are eating now normal. I am not on a diet I am on a life change. It just makes me think of the saying "different strokes for different folks". Do what works best for you.
  • jsonnett02
    Options
    t
  • jsonnett02
    Options
    [/quote]
    Thanks MattySparks, that does make sense!