Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    multivitamins found not useful:

Multivitamins don't help US women live longer:study
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/11/idUSL3E7LB07P20111011

Studies Suggest Case for Dietary Supplements is Collapsing
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/10/26/studies-suggest-case-for-dietary-supplements-is-collapsing/

Are multivitamins a panacea? Hardly, since few supplements are proven
    http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/10/18/are-multivitamins-a-panacea-hardly-since-few-supplements-are-proven/

Is This the End of Popping Vitamins?
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204644504576650980601014152.html

All based on recent study.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    I'll bet I can find a study "linking" eating spinach to some form of cancer.

I know you've heard this before. Correlation does not imply causation.

No one talks about correlation or just bad designed studies... Trust only well designed studies!!

btw: get your studies at www.pubmed.org
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    1. Do you know for a fact that you are getting your micronutrients daily from whole foods?

Yes. http://nutritiondata.self.com/ and common sense. Healthy people shouldn't really worry tho.
    2. If you are going to make blanket statements about "there have been several recent studies", but then don't post or cite the studies then...well you know... ;-)

You have a review in my post

before a battle starts here:
    - If you think they work for you, do whatever you please! (they have risks but those aren't that hight).
    - If your doctor told you to take them, means you are not a healthy adult or he knows you need them for some reason, so take them.
    - If you never took them or don't want to take them: you will be fine :wink:
    - If you feel bad because you are not taking them and you think you should and you are low on cash... save that money for a healthier diet! Don't waste it on expensive pee.

So based on that website you gave me, you can of course eat foods that pertain to your weight plan goals and also complete all your micronutrient requirements? That's impressive. =)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    - If your doctor told you to take them, means you are not a healthy adult

Um, seriously???
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's a good idea. I hate the smelly multis. I take the one a day vitacrave gummy vitamins after I eat breakfast. Have to eat first or make me nauseous.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless you are deficient in a vitamin/nutrient or have been advised by a physician to take a supplement I say nay. There have been several recent studies linking vitamin supplements to increased risk of disease so if you are not deficient, why risk it?

Okay, I'll bite. Where are said studies?

*sigh*

Man, I wish everyone knew how to use Google. There are plenty of studies that show vitamin supplements are good too. But if you are not deficient in a vitamin, why take a supplement?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Unless you are deficient in a vitamin/nutrient or have been advised by a physician to take a supplement I say nay. There have been several recent studies linking vitamin supplements to increased risk of disease so if you are not deficient, why risk it?

*sigh*

Man, I wish everyone knew how to use Google. There are plenty of studies that show vitamin supplements are good too. But if you are not deficient in a vitamin, why take a supplement?

Everyone is deficient in a vitamin every day. You going to argue this? =)
  • Uerzer
    Options
    - If your doctor told you to take them, means you are not a healthy adult

Um, seriously???

Unhealthy you or unhealthy your diet, same thing XD (like iron deficiency anemia for girls with large menstruations, you might not consider it a "disease" but still, its not the normal thing!)

or he wants to give you something as placebo... which like 80% of them do

Yes, healty diet followers aren't.

As I said up there, I'm not blaming anyone for wanting an expensive urine! I just want normal people to save some cash xD
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    No one talks about correlation or just bad designed studies... Trust only well designed studies!!

btw: get your studies at www.pubmed.org

That's my point... these studies are observational which don't mean $h!t. It even says so in the articles that were posted.

...and just because it's on pubmed, doesn't make them anymore true or official.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    P.S. I have two friends that eat a couple of flintstones everyday b/c of the sickness. Goodluck!:smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Yes, I would. Everyone's "diet" may be deficient on any given day. But whenever I have blood work done, no defieciencies are shows so obviously on THOSE day, I was not deficient.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. Seems to me if we ate perfectly balanced meals every day, we wouldn't need a vitamin. But with certain trace minerals being depleted from the soil, even our veggies are sometimes lacking in things such as selenium. I take a multi daily just to be sure, but I'm continuing with research on what vits are most important, and which ones we get enough of in our foods.

So for now, I say yay. I might switch to individual vits at some point. Good topic, it's fun reading everyone's opinions.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Water intake 8-10 glasses/day
    Fiber...I've been paying close attention to this especially lately. I've been keeping my fiber high and have been on a regular schedule UNTIL I started taking my multi-vitamins again (nature's way)

I don't personally notice any other difference between when I am taking them and when I'm not EXCEPT for the back ups.

Just curious what other people thought...

**Edit**

I don't feel sick, I just end up really bloated, heavy and for example last night I woke up at 3am b/c I had stomach cramps so bad and literally woke myself up from the NOISE my intestines were making....I was NOT a happy camper
  • Uerzer
    Options
    ...and just because it's on pubmed, doesn't make them anymore true or official.

Just find large meta-analysis with good design.

when a study is observational you can just see it on the description, forget about it and keep looking for a trial. It's the most objective info you can get!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Nay. If you're eating a balanced diet, you don't need them.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    ok, here's the bottom line, and this applies to almost everything health/nutrition related.

Understanding of the study (data, results, context, source, etc)
    PLUS
    Knowledge of yourself (body, goals, level of commitment, etc)
    EQUALS
    the right decision for you (which may or may not be the right decision for someone else)
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    YAY for vitamins!! I take TopCare Women's Multivitamin w/ Metabolism Support... basically the cheap verson of One-A-Day. As long as I take it with food I'm fine, but I can't take them on an empty stomach-- I get really nauseated. Occasionally they make me nauseated anyway even if I have food in my stomach-- but I use an anti-nausea pressure point on my hand that helps and it passes quickly. :)

Now, I also take a calcuim suplement, and I CAN NOT tolerate those pills... so I take the gummies instead and it's been great so far! Amazon has good deals on gummy calcium. :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Yes, I would. Everyone's "diet" may be deficient on any given day. But whenever I have blood work done, no defieciencies are shows so obviously on THOSE day, I was not deficient.
    [/quote]
    I wasn't aware blood work tested for things like potassium, manganese, folic acid, etc.

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    multivitamins are a 20 billion $/year industry. if a significant amount of people are clueless about the benefits, the government needs to step in and clear through the smoke. the typical lay person shouldnt have to decipher between a legitemate study and a phony study

just my two cents.
  • joejccva71
    Options

*sigh*

No offense Bcatt but you live in a dream world. (I'm saying this in the nicest possible way I can to avoid getting warnings and/or suspensions from the mod team on MFP)

/thread