Considering a new direction

Options
Just a thought, Im considering eating the calorie value that would allow me to maintain my current weight (2,310/day) and then just exercising w/o eating the exercise calories back so therefore I am creating my own deficit.

right now i am having a problem eating under my calorie goal. I see those exercise calories and I just eat eat eat! I think that I have the wrong idea about exercise. It's supposed to be good for me and it's supposed to be something that I implement in my daily life for better health - except now I only do it so I can eat more. I don't want to look at exercise just as something to do just so I can eat but rather a lifestyle change.

Would I still lose weight and get results if I eat my maintenace calories each day regardless of if I exercise or not and then just exercise anyways like usual except not really pay attention to what I burn? so I would not log the exercise anymore I would just keep track of days I excercise and that's it.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. Do you think that it makes a difference whether you log it or not? If you're creating a deficit it doesn't matter if your brain knows that or not...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Unless you make a math error, yes, this will be effective. That being said, you may wish to incorporate a small deficit daily, regardless of exercise, only because exercise calories tend to be inflated on MFP.

I'm essentially doing exactly this, since I eat roughly the same intake daily, and don't log my exercise or even bother trying to calculate burn calories.
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. Do you think that it makes a difference whether you log it or not? If you're creating a deficit it doesn't matter if your brain knows that or not...

it does make a difference when I log it, I feel like inside the motivation I have to exercise is only so that I can eat when I should be actually exercising and motivated to exercise for the fact that i will be heathier point blank.

basically i'd just eat the same amount of calories each day regardless if I exercise or not
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like an interesting way of trying things and I think it's great you're trying something new instead of giving up!! Try using a few different calorie calculators and/or formulas and maybe take an average of them all... I've used this one in the past and it's pretty decent:

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/weight-maintenance-calculator-women

Then, just to be safe if you want to keep losing for sure, you could shave off like 100 calories from that. And then just exercise every day because you know it's healthy and it makes you feel good. Sounds like a recipe for success!

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes :smile:
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like an interesting way of trying things and I think it's great you're trying something new instead of giving up!! Try using a few different calorie calculators and/or formulas and maybe take an average of them all... I've used this one in the past and it's pretty decent:

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/weight-maintenance-calculator-women

Then, just to be safe if you want to keep losing for sure, you could shave off like 100 calories from that. And then just exercise every day because you know it's healthy and it makes you feel good. Sounds like a recipe for success!

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes :smile:

thanks a bunch for sharing the link! very nice ideas u have provided.. I appreciate all of your feedback!!