Need some inexpensive and healthy dining out options

Options
My daughter goes to school a pretty great distance from my home and sometimes when I drive her in, I stick around the area in order to save gas. I often mall walk or get work done on my laptop, etc. and because of wifi, I often end up at Panera. But I'm bored with it and wondering if anyone has some ideas of some places I can dine out that are both healthy and inexpensive?

Replies

• allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    Does the money you spend on fuel not equal your expense of eating out while she is at school?

Cheapest is a packed lunch and buy a cup of hot water to use the wifi (take your own tea bag).
  • tsbrown09
    Options
    You could pack your lunch in a little ice chest. :)
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    Ok it's not the healthiest, but you can stay in budget for calories at McD's... Get a grilled chicken salad or a side salad and a fruit and yogurt parfait... Hit Wendy's get a baked potato plain and top it with chili... or Burger king and get a salad... or Subway and get a 6in sub with baked chips or a yogurt... all under $10
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What general area are you in??? Is there a Mexican restaurant around?? You can order a taco salad Or, go to a coney island and order a burger without the bun... with all kinds of veggie toppings and a little bit of ketchup and other sauces you like.... splitting one big meal helps with expenses.... just some thoughts. I do that kind of stuff sometimes. I have 6 kids so I have to always think about how to cut costs eating out. Drink water there too.... :-) Good luck!
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    perhaps looks at google map- see resturant in that area . what about having car pool with a freind?
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Pack your lunch. Less temptation. Easier to stay focused & on your path. I pack my lunch & snacks every day in a lunch bag with an ice pack. If I HAD to eat out, I'd probably do Subway (salad with FF dressing, 6" sub or a western egg & cheese light muffin). A classic grilled chicken sandwich at McDonald's is 420 cal, less w/o the mayo, & lots of protein. At Wendy's I would get a 1/2 size berry chicken salad. I'm not sure what's in your area, but you can ask for nutrition guides at most of the fast food restaurants. Another trick I use is if I KNOW I'm going to be eating at a particular restaurant ahead of time, I go online & check out what's the lowest cal thing on their menu & that's what I get. Stay focused & keep your eye on your goals :)
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Car pooling isn't an option because it's a good 45-50 minute drive away from home. And I often pack my lunch when I do stick around the area, I just didn't today. Panera is my fail-safe, but I just found myself staring at the menu, not really wanting any of it. So I was just wondering if any of you guys knew some tricks that I didn't.

Subway is a pretty smart idea... and doesn't Jimmy Johns offer lettuce wrapped sandwiches... hmmm...
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Chipotle can be healthy if you choose ingredients wisely -- you can choose what to put in your lunch bowl yourself, and it's about $6, and enough for 2 meals. This online calorie counter tells you what the nutrition would be based on what ingredients you include:
    http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=nutrition_calculator

AND, it's delicious.

Chik Fil-A is not bad, if you get the grilled chicken choices, and a fruit side.
    Wendy's can also be good, if you stick to the chili, and the healthier options.

I've also gone to a nice grocery store and gotten sushi out of the fresh food case (or a salad, or a soup).

Good luck!
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Its all about learning to tweak whatever is on the menu. Tell them to put sauces and dressings on the side so you can be in control of how much you use. Ask for half your meal to be served to you and the other half put in a box immediately before even bringing it out to the table. Order fruit instead of fries, skip the burger and go for sliced ham or turkey If you really want the burger, ask how many ounces it is. A giant wad of beef is always a lot of calories. Eat half. Soup can be a meal but find out what's in it first. Many restaurant menus are online. Mexican is great if you leave off the sour cream and guacamole. It's all a matter of being on top of the game.

Once I get to my goal weight, I'll stop having to do this but I have a feeling I'll be in such a habit by then, I'll probably still do it. Restaurant food is just insanely high in calories.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Sandwich shops are always a good choice. Subway makes a decent size kid's sandwich now, which is less expenisve. Load it up with veggies, and it might be enough food.
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Asian food, especially the vegetarian options. Asian restaurants tend to be quite inexpensive, lots of fresh veggie options -- just watch out for all those noodles and rice dishes.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have an idea! find a job at the school! you get gaz payment, lunch and save time:-)