Body Bugg vs Body Fit Media vs HRM's (polar/garmin)

Options
2»

Replies

• Shawn_Marie
    Options
    bump
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Ive been using a body media for about a month and a half. I bought it to get a better understanding of my TDEE. I even had an RMR test this past spring. What I found is that the RMR test and the BM data were accurate and within a reasonable calorie range as I had calculated using one of the several algorithms available. Maybe within 150 -200 calories.

Thus far, my one big complaint is it does not accurately calculate calories burned for some exercises, ie. spinning, where your arms / upper body are not nearly as active as your lower body. On the flip side, if you walk, run etc, I've found it to be very accurate as compared to a HRM. The BM does allow HR Monitoring with certain Garmin HRM's. You simply have to activate the feature in your account. Without the Garmin, as others have said...no HRM capability.

I don't think the BM is a lifelong item. But rather a tool to better understand your body. I plan to use it for a while, collect data which I'll use to better focus my nutrition and workout goals. MFP & BM type devices raise your level of awareness and educate you in such a way that if you use them consistently, the day will come when you'll have developed the ability to succeed without them. I find them very useful but I can't see living the next 50 years logging my food every day.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have had the bodybugg for almost a year now. I absolutely love it. It has helped me so much! I think a lot of people don't realize how inactive they are. My base calories burns varies a lot day to day, and without the bodybugg I would not be able to get an accurate of a measurement. The downfall is it does not monitor HR, and does not accurately measure some exercises like spinninng. But in those cases, I just go with it, add 100 more, I'd rather it underestimate rather than overestimate. I am debating getting a HRM also since I'm getting more into this fitness thing.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump.