"Skinny"

Options
Does anyone else cringe when this word is spoken?!

I always picture a decrepit person on their death bed. Wouldn't you much rather be called fit/strong/toned/defined/muscular ... Anything else!?

What would you like people to say about you once you reach your fitness goal?

Replies

• JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Absolutely....I was told that the other day by a close friend and they even suggested I was OCD over it. I am still 5 pounds away from a healthy BMI. I am not skinny I am FIT!
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Toned up and in incrediable shape!

Yup, thats what I'm looking for :)
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I always picture a decrepit person on their death bed. Wouldn't you much rather be called fit/strong/toned/defined/muscular ... Anything else!?

Healthy? You can call me that when I hit my goal weight.

When I hear skinny I think J.J. on that old television show "Good Times." Someone who is just a string bean of a person: lanky and without any real curves or shape to them. Not necessarily a bad thing to be...but not for me.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fit, healthy, strong are all good.

Yes, I hate skinny. I am in no way skinny. I have defined biceps, triceps, and obliques for the first time in my life. My abs are there, just still hidden for a little while longer... My quads bulge out even when not flexing. I think I look fantastic and all I hear from my family is, "you look so skinny now". Uggh.
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    sexyminxinthemaking Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    slim is much better than skinny
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I just want people to say "damnnnnn"
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Nice to know I am not the only one with an issue with this word!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    there is a difference berween skinny ( seeing bone definition) and toned (muscle definition)

and I do not like skinny peolple, makes me cringe !!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Skinny does not bother me at all.. I don't think people use it to offend anyone
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Someone called me skinny recently...I'm far from skinny, but I'll take it!!! :happy:
  • heyjude345
    heyjude345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I really hate that word, especially when people say it to me considering I am still over 200 pounds. Yes, I've lost weight, but it seems demeaning to me when people say I'm getting so skinny.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont care what people say about me at anytime
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I just want people to say "damnnnnn"

this

i will also take a "hot" "smokin" or anything along those lines.
  • amymaria91
    Options
    I personally don't mind the word skinny, am I the only one that wants to be called that?
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I don't mind the word myself.

I'd rather be called thin/skinny than slim :ohwell:

I think it's hard for people to comment on you using words like muscular and toned when you're in jeans and a jumper?
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I think the tone that it is used in is what makes it so bad. I have a lady in my church that has a REALLY BAD HABIT of looking at me and saying, "You're skinny" with a snarl. Not sure why I never got that type of grief when I was overweight. Maybe if I was told "You're fat" with the same attitude I would have done something sooner.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be skinny and week! I want to be HOT!!!!! A Yummy Mommy!!!!
  • I agree with "healthy" because, honestly "skinny" has never been my goal.
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I guess because I'm Spanish Skinny doesn't sound as bad to me as it might do to an English native, I guess I don't know the connotations, but thanks to your message I do now. For me the word "thin" sounded even worse, yeah, fit sounds better of the ones you've mentioned. Unfortunately, when I got close to my goal, before I got pregnant I was called "TINY" and I didn't like it at all! I'd rather be called "skinny" than "tiny" as the latest seems closer to "nothing" or "non existant" :D
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    agree with your post. what are your thoughts on being called amazing...because that's where you are. congrats on your success!!