Why does my left foot go numb after about 10 min. on an elli

Hey all,

I have noticed that part of my left foot goes numb about 10 minutes into my elliptical workout... I consider myself a fit woman who is trying to loose just 7 lbs (3 more to go) and this only happens on an elliptical trainer. I can run 45 minuutes on a treadmill, or do a 60 minute cardio class, 60 minutes of free weights and have no problems with a numb left foot. I would imagine it has something to do with repeative movement? Any help/suggestions would be helpful as I find I get a better burn on an elliptical than a treadmill... Thanks...

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,898 Member
    Consistent pressure on the nerve in the balls of your feet cause this. Totally normal for many who use the elliptical. Lift your feet up off the pedals occasionally to reduce the pressure.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    It sounds simple but, check your shoe laces. They may need to be loosened a tad.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Mine does the same thing. Like ninerbuff said, occasionally lift your feet from the pedals and reposition them. Now doing this I can spend an hour on the elliptical with no numbness.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Totally normal...I know because I just researched it :) Both my feet go numb after 10 minute or so of ANY aerobic exercise...
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,129 Member
    Consistent pressure on the nerve in the balls of your feet cause this. Totally normal for many who use the elliptical. Lift your feet up off the pedals occasionally to reduce the pressure.

^ This is what I've heard too. Both of my feet go numb on the elliptical! I love doing it, but no matter what I do, after 30 minutes.....YOWSERS.
  • dezedeze
    dezedeze Posts: 96 Member
    Same thing happens here. I heard once that reversing direction for a bit can help...not sure if that's true or not but I figured it's worth mentioning!
  • Thanks for all the help guys... I will def. try your suggestions... :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Yep, I had the same problem so I asked my doc and she said the same thing. For me, it doesn't have to be consistent pressure, even repetitive pressure will do it. I get this with any repetitive exercise (eliptical, treadmill, etc.) Sometimes even with running outside if it's a flat surface like a track.
    83617 Posts: 2
    So glad you asked that question. I had been noticing it but thought that maybe it was just my age, now I know that is not the case. Your discussions definitely help me.
  • mallred76
    mallred76 Posts: 50 Member
    Ha, I've been experiencing the same thing! I'm glad there is an explanation.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    It sounds simple but, check your shoe laces. They may need to be loosened a tad.

This!
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 697 Member
    I've noticed the same thing when I've done elliptical. It feels like someone put rubber bands on the ends of a couple toes. Ick. I've tried adjusting pressure of the laces and also trying to be sure I lift my foot to ensure circulation, but it still happened. Consequently, I don't elliptical too often.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    my left foot does the same thing! i try to lift it up but nothing happens its so distracting! ill try these suggestions
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Thank you for asking this question ... it happens to me too. Just through trial and error I've found that lifting my feet helps.
    But, thanks to your post I know that it's nothing to worry about :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I have found too that I can shift my weight to my heels (just lift my toes slightly, almost like I'm trying to walk on my heels). It helps the numbness ease AND changes the way the muscles work--I feel the burn in a different way when I do that.