Prepping for Pregnancy

Options
Hubs and I are going to start trying in February. That gives me four months (or more) to really get into a routine that I can continue throughout a pregnancy. I trained and did a sprint distance triathlon and a half marathon last month. But since then, I have been TOTALLY slacking. I want to get back to running more regularly (3 - 4 times a week, even if they are only two mile runs). I still do spin class every thursday. I want to swim once a week or every other week...

But what about strength training? Should I go balls-to-the-wall trynig to work on my abs before I blow them up? I know I won't be able to do ab work once I am a little ways into being PG.

Replies

• alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For sure, do what you can with strength training before you get preg. The more fit you start out, the easier it will be to get everything back after delivery.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    "Ab"solutely!!! Get in the best shape you can and eat really healthy when you get pregnant. It will be soooo much easier after! Wish someone would have told me that. Instead everyone told me how lucky I was that I can eat anything because I will gain weight anyway! Bad advice but when you don't know better.....

Good luck to you!
  • GoyaMommy13
    GoyaMommy13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same spot - only we start trying next month. eek!

i've been eating healthier, getting my daily vitamins ritual in and regularly working out. i divide my time between cardio and strength training. i'm a bigger girl so i'm not going to have defined abs or anything but i have been alternating strength so i do get my ab workout in.

i'm pretty confident in keeping to my ritual throughout this pregnancy. i didn't do this last time and regretted it. also if you can - breastfeeding is a GREAT way to shed the pounds after pregnancy. i was lower then pre-prego weight about 3 months after my daughter was born. :)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same spot - only we start trying next month. eek!

i've been eating healthier, getting my daily vitamins ritual in and regularly working out. i divide my time between cardio and strength training. i'm a bigger girl so i'm not going to have defined abs or anything but i have been alternating strength so i do get my ab workout in.

i'm pretty confident in keeping to my ritual throughout this pregnancy. i didn't do this last time and regretted it. also if you can - breastfeeding is a GREAT way to shed the pounds after pregnancy. i was lower then pre-prego weight about 3 months after my daughter was born. :)

Yeah - this will be baby #2 for me. I wish I had known to get in better shap b/f baby #1 and then continue. I had JUST started running b/f I got PG with #1 and I didn't keep up with it and it wasn't long b/f I couldn't do it anymore. This time I AM DOING IT! I will lift, take class, run, do the stationery bike, swim, etc. I will THAT PG lady running 5k's.
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough calories also. Proper nutrition is also very important when planning a pregnancy and losing the weight after delivery.

I like that you mention you will be the PG lady running the 5k. You can run and lift through just about the whole pregnancy (barring any restrictions from your doctor due to special circumstances). It won't hurt the baby. It all comes down to your comfort level. If you suffer morning sickness at the beginning and can't handle much, try a nice walk in the fresh air daily. Lifting and ab work can still be done also. Just be aware that your tendons and ligaments loosen up a bit during pregnancy making you more prone to injury so watch your form and lessen the weight a little if necessary. Later in the pregnancy, when laying flat on your back is uncomfortable, look for modifications to the exercises. You can find plenty of exercises to do during late pregnancy for all muscle groups by searching online.

Good luck!...and have fun in the baby-making process!