Need Injury Advice

Options
yokurio
yokurio Posts: 116 Member
I still have this IT band injury. I'm not too sure at what extent, because I stopped running to give it time to heal. I can't really tell if its injured without running like 1/2 a mile, once I get to that point, then I feel the pains that are a sign to it being injured. I've been irregularly (meaning not everynight, but whenever i find time to) icing it, using the foam roller, and stretching it. I've also had my Aunt, who is a massage therapist, do a session on my IT band. My plan is to go to the doctor tomorrow, talk to him about it, have my Aunt do one more massage therapy session on it, continue to ice and stretch it, then try running again in a week or so. Should I give it longer to heal? I don't think its tight or injured, and i'm not sure if its actually injured anymore. It could be injured still, I think there is a burning sensation on that side of the leg occasionally, but i can't really tell. I feel like my mind could be playing tricks on me a bit.

Replies

• alimarieban
    Options
    I had the same type of injury last spring. I went to a sports doctor and he said that I ran too much too quickly. I decreased my distance and still had the same pain at about 1 mile. I am going to try again this winter (on the treadmill) and see if the pain is still there. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help the injury improve (ice, massage, taking it easy). I hope it all works out and you are back to running soon!
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I tweaked mine so bad about 3 years ago, it took almost 4 months before it healed up ~ I went from 4 miles to 8 miles on an incline over the course of a week, and well, my lungs were ready, but the rest of me was NOT!:noway: Foam rolling, ibuprofen, ice/heat and stretching got it back to normal. I increase mileage very slowly now :wink: I found I could do the elliptical on certain ramps and recumbent biking while healing up to stay conditioned. Hope you are back to normal and running soon! Listen to your body~