Am I doing this right????

Options
This may be a dumb question, but I am not sure if I am doing the MFP program correctly.

I have put in all of the information accurately, it has given me my caloric recommendations for the day.
I know that I am NOT supposed to weigh myself daily, but I have gained 1.5 lbs in the past two days! My friends say it is water, but I seem to be stuck like I was with the new weight watchers plans.

Here are my questions:

1) I have my daily caloric recommendation. Should I eat all of those calories? The reason I ask is that I am always afraid that I didn't calculate them correctly so I try to stay about 100-200 calories below my goal. Is this wrong to do? It says that I need to eat at least 1200 calories a day to stay out of starvation mode. Am I going to start plateauing if I don't eat them all?

2) where does it say how much water to drink a day. Is that in the plan/app? I am using the android version.

If anyone has some resources that I can read that would be great. Otherwise, any advice from you experienced MFP folks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mikeinstlouis

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Unless you are really short, as a guy, you should be eating well over 1200 calories. Yes, you should eat your exercise calories.
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    Options
    Wow, I'm a little over 5'3" and I am supposed to eat 1200. is that right for you?? I always give myself a little cushion too in case I didn't put something in right.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Your first post said you were eating 1700 when you first asked this question. Why the change?
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    I agree, depending on how much you weigh and haow active you are, you probably need to eat more and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I average 9-12 glasses of water a day and i find that helps alot. I also eat 1600 cals when I work out and 1400 cals when I don't. Hope that helps.
  • havs23
    havs23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    it usually suggests about 8 glasses of water a day...more or less depending on how you feel - if youre thirsty then you are dehydrated and you should definitely drink more water. and of course if you've worked out you'll probably want more water too.

and yes, definitely eat the minimum 1200 calories. at least.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think guys are not supposed to go under 1800 or so. Its better to eat a couple hundred over than be under. Your body freaks out and holds onto every calorie instead of letting you use it for energy. Eating too few calories doesn't help you lose weight at least long term. Your body will get acclimated and survive on too little. The water button is towards the bottom
  • Mikeinstlouis
    Mikeinstlouis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for the confusing post!

I am to eat 1720 calories daily. I am a 6'2" man, weigh 200, want to get closer to the upper 180's. I realize that that is not a lot of weight to lose, but I lost 50 lbs on the old weight watchers and the pounds have crept back on me. I don't like the way my clothes now fit or how I feel.

I guess my question is..is it ok to eat somewhere between 1200 and 1720 because that seems to be some magical lower limit..or should I go ahead and east something else to get it up close to the 1720 limit?

Thanks!!!

Mike
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    You should be in the upper limit. I am a 5'4'' female and eating 1500, if that gives you any idea!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It does seem a little low. I usually end up eating around 2200/day and I still lose. i guess it depends on how active you are. I have a desk job and like spending time on my computer at home, but I'm in the gym for an hour 6 days/week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for the confusing post!

I am to eat 1720 calories daily. I am a 6'2" man, weigh 200, want to get closer to the upper 180's. I realize that that is not a lot of weight to lose, but I lost 50 lbs on the old weight watchers and the pounds have crept back on me. I don't like the way my clothes now fit or how I feel.

I guess my question is..is it ok to eat somewhere between 1200 and 1720 because that seems to be some magical lower limit..or should I go ahead and east something else to get it up close to the 1720 limit?

Thanks!!!

Mike
    Eat you calories. Your body is much smarter than you think.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set on 1210 cal a day but I do eat my excercise calories, except my 30dayshred cals. I have a hard time staying under 1300. I work in an office and i know if i dont excercise at all during the day i can hit the 1210 mark but i do like to eat at least 1380 to feel less cranky.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    No.