Exercise and Tremors

Options
For as long as I can remember (at least 15 years) I have had tremors, most prominent in my hands. First of all I'd like to know if there are many others out there that suffer with tremors?
Have you had any diagnosis as to why you have the tremor? My doctors (3 of them now) say it's just me, most like high adrenaline and I can take beta blockers to help, I declined that offer, I would rather deal with the shakes.
Do you notice that your tremors get worse when your blood sugar gets low? Mine certainly do! I can barely function if I let my blood sugar drop.
Lastly, when you exercise do your tremors intensify? Again, mine do! I don't want to join a gym due to my tremors, it can get really bad! So I have all the equipment I think I'll need at home.
All in all, just wondering who's out there that also has tremors, how you cope with it and how it affects your life? :smile:

Replies

• danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    :/ I was hoping to read they got less when you exercised.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not, at least not yet! Maybe as I get stronger and stay consistent with my exercise as well as eating well!? I dunno.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Shaking from low blood sugar could indicate that your body is in blood sugar CRISIS, and needs refueling ASAP. My mom is diabetic and she knows she needs quick sugar fuel when she gets shaky.

I'd gotten shaky a couple of times after exercising myself. Upped my calories in response, haven't gotten shaky so far.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Found your post on a Google search, but it could be Essential/Familial Tremor, especially if they wanted to try the Beta Blockers. Do you still have the problem now, did you get a diagnosis? I was Googling because I want to start a MFP group for people who have Essential Tremors, as I was just diagnosed yesterday. Obviously people w/tremors face additional challenges when it comes to fitness. My tremors get worse for about an hour after I exercise, but then get better. If you have a family history of Essential Tremors, then they call it a Familial Tremor. Anyway, hope yours went away or you found a diagnosis. If you're interested in joining the group (or any of the other posters), just let me know. I have to have at least 3 members to create the group.
  • ShellGetsFit
    Options
    I've never had a diagnosis for the tremors have had them since I was about 15, never gone away. They get worse when my adrenaline kicks up for any reason, or if my blood sugars plummet. I need to go and have them do more testing to find out. No one else in my family has the tremors, just me. My greatest worry is always Parkinson's as unlikely as that is. I would like to be a part of the group for sure. I've only met a couple of other people that suffer from constant tremors like I do.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    I've never had a diagnosis for the tremors have had them since I was about 15, never gone away. They get worse when my adrenaline kicks up for any reason, or if my blood sugars plummet. I need to go and have them do more testing to find out. No one else in my family has the tremors, just me. My greatest worry is always Parkinson's as unlikely as that is. I would like to be a part of the group for sure. I've only met a couple of other people that suffer from constant tremors like I do.

Thanks ShellGetsFit, you're the 2nd person that's expressed interest, so we just need one more person to create the group. I'll keep your name until we get the 3rd, & if you'd like to add me to stay in touch, then feel free. I posted on some ET Facebook pages that we're trying to do it, so hopefully we'll get one more. Will have to see if they'll count me as a 3rd person or it has to be 3 people different from the group creator.

I'd definitely recommend you go see a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders. They should be able to quickly determine if you have Essential Tremors, or something else. But if all you have is the tremors, then it probably isn't Parkinson's. The neurologist just did a lot of hand eye coordination tests during the exam, drawing things, testing for muscle rigidity, etc, but she was able to do the exam & tell me the same day that she thought it was just the tremor & nothing else. Didn't have to have lab work or other outside tests. If you're concerned it might be Parkinson's, then hopefully you'll end up being as relieved as I was w/your Dx.
  • ShellGetsFit
    Options
    My family doctor had me do some agility tests with him and said he was pretty sure it wasn't Parkinson's. It hasn't gotten any worse but it hasn't gotten any better either though. I'm not horribly concerned, it's just unbelievably annoying.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    Ok, I set up the group page. It did let me set it up w/just the 3 of us. So I think you'll get some kind of notice for the group & can join if you want. Let me know if it works for you. Under groups, if it doesn't show in your invite, search for "Essential/Familial Tremors"
  • ShellGetsFit
    Options
    Got it! Adding you as well!
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It almost sounds like you from hyperglycimic (low blood sugar). I come from a family that suffers from hypoglycimia (high blood sugar). My 73 yr old mother excercises 1 hour every morning, walks and works in the yard to control her sugar. However, when she over does it she has the same symptoms and when she checks her sugar it is usually under 70 . Also I use to have a room mate that suffered from low sugar. She had the same symptoms. We kept orange juice and candy bars in the fridge so when it got too low i would give her one so she would not go in a coma.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    It almost sounds like you from hyperglycimic (low blood sugar). I come from a family that suffers from hypoglycimia (high blood sugar). My 73 yr old mother excercises 1 hour every morning, walks and works in the yard to control her sugar. However, when she over does it she has the same symptoms and when she checks her sugar it is usually under 70 . Also I use to have a room mate that suffered from low sugar. She had the same symptoms. We kept orange juice and candy bars in the fridge so when it got too low i would give her one so she would not go in a coma.

Yes, but usually when it's hypoglycemia it's a more generalized shakiness, not specific body parts like hands alone. Also speaking from experience, there's a big difference between feeling/being shaky and having an actual tremor. I'm not really sure how to explain it, except to say that a tremor feels much more defined. But that's still not really explaining it well. While hypoglycemia can make some people's tremors worse, it doesn't usually cause them...they're a separate thing. Also, if it was hypoglycemia, then when your sugar was ok, it would go away.
  • ShellGetsFit
    Options

I've actually kept a glucometer around to check my levels and they are normal. I shake ALL the time. Certain things, make it much worse. It's just time to have the professionals delve deeper to find answers. Thank you though. :smile:
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Hi, firstly I don't know anything about tremors and do not profess to be able to shed any light on your condition but I did see a programme about someone who ended up having botox to reduce and eventually stop their hand tremors. Like I said, no idea why you are getting these and obviously you need to get this diagnosed but just to say that this was a solution someone found. Good luck.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    Hi, firstly I don't know anything about tremors and do not profess to be able to shed any light on your condition but I did see a programme about someone who ended up having botox to reduce and eventually stop their hand tremors. Like I said, no idea why you are getting these and obviously you need to get this diagnosed but just to say that this was a solution someone found. Good luck.

I have read about that as well. While I've seend individual stories that it worked for some people temporarily (I think they have to do it every 2-3 months), they also said that it makes your muscles weaker where used. So that can be a problem. One physician who had tremors said he hadn't tried that yet, because the studies he'd read just didn't seem conclusive that it was beneficial for most. But I guess, as w/any treatment, it depends on how bad your symptoms are & how much relief you get for how long. I've also read that accupuncture (make sure it's a good professional) & chiropractor treatments help some.