Cold or Warm? Which burns more Calories?

Options
Ok so its freezing in the house and I thought, do I burn more calories when the room is cold or when the room is warm? My hands are freezing and so are my feet so I'm thinking my body is colder then if I turned on the heat.

Replies

• misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think the difference, if any, would be very very minimal. I'd much rather be comfortable!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    when it's colder, but the difference is minute.

don't sweat small silly things like this, create a deficit through diet and exercise
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Not to be hyperbolic, but I don't think losing limbs to frostbite is a recommended weight loss plan. I think you're ok turning up the heat.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options

don't sweat small silly things like this, create a deficit through diet and exercise
    ^ What he said
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

This!!

You burn more calories when your body is trying to heat itself. But sitting in a cold room isn't going to do you any good!!

If you really want to be cold and burn calories go tread water in the cold part of the public swimming pool, or better yet..do laps!

Plus you are probably just exhausting yourself sitting in a cold room, and sapping all your energy. I know when I am cold I get really sleepy.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My hands are freezing and so are my feet so I'm thinking my body is colder then if I turned on the heat.

Well, yes. That's pretty much how it works.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You burn more calories when you move...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My hands are freezing and so are my feet so I'm thinking my body is colder then if I turned on the heat.

Well, yes. That's pretty much how it works.

Damn sensory nerves.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    wow! :o

i hope you don't take offense, but why on earth would you do that to yourself?!
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can't be serious.....you think that by sitting in a cold room you're going to burn more calories -- to the extent that you'll notice it at a weigh in?

As others have said, the benefits are extremely minimal (for weight loss). However, you WILL save money by lowering your heating costs. Personally I keep the house on the cool side (it was 58 this morning) and am shooting for November before I turn on the furnace. It's easy to throw on some woolly socks and sweats to keep comfortable.
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Shivering burns calories. However don't expect to drop weight by freezing yourself--it just won't work :)
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    oops - cant figure out how to delete. Made a mistake - please ignore!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Not to be hyperbolic, but I don't think losing limbs to frostbite is a recommended weight loss plan. I think you're ok turning up the heat.

LOL! So true!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You burn more calories when you move...

What an interesting concept.
  • Whitneylol
    Options

Agreed. Also, coughing doesn't make you get a 6pack.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wow the thing people come up with to try and take short cuts on health,nutrition,and exercise to lose weight. I'm dumbfounded by this topic!
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The heat was turned off because we've had such great warm weather and then it got cold last night and I didn't really notice how cold it was in the house until I'd been sitting for an hour..... The temp in the house was 14 C or 57 F. I was on the site when I figured out how cold I was so I thought - I wonder??? Then I went and turned up the heat.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The heat was turned off because we've had such great warm weather and then it got cold last night and I didn't really notice how cold it was in the house until I'd been sitting for an hour..... The temp in the house was 14 C or 57 F. I was on the site when I figured out how cold I was so I thought - I wonder??? Then I went and turned up the heat.
    It's been reasonably warm here too and now it's supposed to get cold with possible snow this weekend... so annoyed! But I'm trying not to turn on the heat until November, just out of principle.
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    the question is also because I was wondering if you really do burn more calories when you practie yoga in a hot room? Yes I ponder stupid things sometimes.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    57 degrees??? Turn the heat on!

I have ours set to 68 degrees. I'm still chilly, but I deal.