Quorn...do you tell the husband/kids

Options
HI
i've started using quorn mince to reduce the calories.....but haven't as yet told the family what they are eating? do you tell yours?

Replies

• marquesajen
    Options
    We didn't tell my brothers until a few years later.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I use it in a lot of my foods, the kids and hubby have no idea. I say don't say a word!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    My mother puts Organic milk in regualr skim milk cartons so my younger brother and dad dont know! haha
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Have they not noticed the difference? I've not tried the mince but while I do enjoy some of the other bits and pieces I don't think they really taste like chicken, a burger etc!
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did tell mine and my daughter said she didn't like it. I know if I hadn't said anything she wouldn't have noticed. I will be using it again but keeping shtum!!!
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I'm allergic to quorn - so I would tell them IMO - quorn is hydrolized protein whatever that means, to me its not good. I would however reduce the amount of meat and increase the veggies to cut calories, but thats just me - so whatever works for you!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I use whatever the heck I want ;) When he starts gettin' in the kitchen, he can ask me what's in it.
  • jlowensby
    jlowensby Posts: 142
    Options
    HI
    i've started using quorn mince to reduce the calories.....but haven't as yet told the family what they are eating? do you tell yours?

Haven't tried quorn, but willing too..but when I do I will def tell my husband and kids....it's the right thing to do in my opinion. I don't want to sneak stuff in on them, they are more open to the healthier eating if I am open and honest with what I am putting in front of them!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to quorn - so I would tell them IMO - quorn is hydrolized protein whatever that means, to me its not good. I would however reduce the amount of meat and increase the veggies to cut calories, but thats just me - so whatever works for you!
    Presumably she knows whether her own family is allergic.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The only time I have ever done anything sneaky is when my younger son claimed that the Target brand of syrup tasted "funny." So I bought him another bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's and when it was gone I poured the Target syrup in it. Then after he ate the WHOLE bottle without complaint (not in one sitting mind you) I said, "BOOYAH! That was TARGET syrup! In your face, kid!" And now he eats Target syrup. True story.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you decide not to tell them, you should be aware of the symptoms in people that cannot tolerate it.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2008/04/18/when-is-a-healthy-food-not-a-healthy-food-after-all/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

Quorn is made from the soil mould Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684 (previously misidentified as the parasitic mould Fusarium graminearum [21]). The fungus is grown in continually oxygenated water in large, otherwise sterile fermentation tanks. Glucose is added as a food for the fungus, as are vitamins and minerals to improve the food value of the product. The resulting mycoprotein is then extracted and heat-treated to remove excess levels of RNA. Previous attempts to produce such fermented protein foodstuffs were thwarted by excessive levels of DNA or RNA; without the heat treatment, purine, found in nucleic acids, is metabolised by humans, producing uric acid, which can lead to gout.[22] However two recent studies have found dietary factors once believed to be associated to gout are in fact not, including the intake of purine-rich vegetables and total protein.[23][24] The Mayo Clinic, meanwhile, advises gout sufferers to avoid some foods that are high in purines.[25]

The product is dried and mixed with egg albumen, which acts as a binder. It is then textured, giving it some of the grained character of meat, and pressed either into a mince resembling ground beef; forms resembling chicken breasts, meatballs, and turkey roasts; or chunks resembling diced chicken breast. In these forms, Quorn has a varying colour and a mild flavour resembling the imitated meat product, and is suitable for use as a replacement for meat in many dishes, such as stews and casseroles.[citation needed] The final Quorn product is high in protein and dietary fibre and is low in saturated fat and salt. It contains less dietary iron than do most meats.
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    The only time I have ever done anything sneaky is when my younger son claimed that the Target brand of syrup tasted "funny." So I bought him another bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's and when it was gone I poured the Target syrup in it. Then after he ate the WHOLE bottle without complaint (not in one sitting mind you) I said, "BOOYAH! That was TARGET syrup! In your face, kid!" And now he eats Target syrup. True story.
    like this :laugh:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    And now he eats Target syrup. True story.
    I tried this once with a friend who hates shrimp...and it backfired. My homemade egg rolls have baby shrimps in them. I knew my friend hated shrimp, so I didn't tell her. (She's not allergic or anything...just doesn't like them.) She loved the egg rolls. After her first one, I told her about the shrimp. She refused to eat anymore. *facepalm*
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    And now he eats Target syrup. True story.
    I tried this once with a friend who hates shrimp...and it backfired. My homemade egg rolls have baby shrimps in them. I knew my friend hated shrimp, so I didn't tell her. (She's not allergic or anything...just doesn't like them.) She loved the egg rolls. After her first one, I told her about the shrimp. She refused to eat anymore. *facepalm*

People are so weird!
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options

hydrolyzed protein is just when the protein has been split into amino acids, just what your body is going to do to it later