How To Get To That 6-Pack

Options
The real problem is that layer of body fat that's covering the six-pack you already have. We all have a six-pack! It's called the rectus abdominus, and if you can stand upright, you have one. The reason some people have a well-defined stomach and others don't has very little to do with how many stomach exercises (or what kind) they do. It is completely a function of how much body fat they carry. Is it important to do your abdominal work? Yes! The ab training you do will help strengthen, raise and define the abdominal wall. That's a great thing! But there's a three-step process to getting a well define stomach:

1. Burn More Calories Than You Eat
Ask any dietician, physician, exercise physiologist, trainer or any other person you think to be an authority on weight loss this simple question, "If I eat a balanced diet and burn more calories than I consume will I lose weight?" They have to answer, "Yes." The body must maintain a state of homeostasis (an equal balance). If the body needs energy that's not supplied by your food intake it will draw that energy from stored fat. They may wrap their answer up in some low-carbohydrate, high protein package, but all the latest diets on the market today, in the end, are calorie deficit diets.

2. Exercise Aerobically
The most effective way to get to your stored body fat as a source of energy during exercise is to do aerobic training. Your aerobic training rate will be anywhere between 60-75% (if you're a beginner) 70-85% (if you're in shape) of your maximum heart rate (220 - your age). When your heart rate is at this constant pace, your body is using two sources of energy: glycogen (converted and stored carbohydrates) and fat. In no other form of exercise will you find this happening at such high rates.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is ending their aerobic training early so they have time to do their abs. The longer you stay in your aerobic zone, the more your glycogen levels continue to decrease. This increases the percentage of energy used from stored fat. Remember: the last twenty minutes of your hourly aerobic workout are your most efficient.

You can do your ab work anywhere. We can hardly think of a place where you can't drop and do some crunches. You may look silly but you get our drift. However, there isn't a Stairmaster, recumbent bike or your favorite treadmill everywhere. If you are truly serious about getting a great looking stomach, spend those extra minutes burning your stored fat aerobically.

3.Build More Muscle
If a 150-pound woman converts 10% of her body fat to muscle, she will burn about 300 extra calories per day. It's a physiological fact! This is a great metabolism boost.

The down side to this is, building muscle is not an easy task and is also a very inefficient way to try to lose body fat on its own. It is also important to realize that you can't spot train those extra inches away from your problem area(s). Doing crunches for your abs, squats or lunges for your thighs and butt or triceps extensions for the backs of your arms will only build a great muscle underneath the layer of body fat.

That being said, when you have the first two steps of this process down, then put your attention on your abdominal work.

If you want to know exactly how your food intake is matching up with you exercise output login to fatburn.com. Register and use the meals, activities and summary pages. This process will allow you to closely track your weight-loss progress. Good luck!

Replies

• hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The real problem is that layer of body fat that's covering the six-pack you already have. We all have a six-pack! It's called the rectus abdominus, and if you can stand upright, you have one. The reason some people have a well-defined stomach and others don't has very little to do with how many stomach exercises (or what kind) they do. It is completely a function of how much body fat they carry. Is it important to do your abdominal work? Yes! The ab training you do will help strengthen, raise and define the abdominal wall. That's a great thing! But there's a three-step process to getting a well define stomach:

1. Burn More Calories Than You Eat
    Ask any dietician, physician, exercise physiologist, trainer or any other person you think to be an authority on weight loss this simple question, "If I eat a balanced diet and burn more calories than I consume will I lose weight?" They have to answer, "Yes." The body must maintain a state of homeostasis (an equal balance). If the body needs energy that's not supplied by your food intake it will draw that energy from stored fat. They may wrap their answer up in some low-carbohydrate, high protein package, but all the latest diets on the market today, in the end, are calorie deficit diets.

2. Exercise Aerobically
    The most effective way to get to your stored body fat as a source of energy during exercise is to do aerobic training. Your aerobic training rate will be anywhere between 60-75% (if you're a beginner) 70-85% (if you're in shape) of your maximum heart rate (220 - your age). When your heart rate is at this constant pace, your body is using two sources of energy: glycogen (converted and stored carbohydrates) and fat. In no other form of exercise will you find this happening at such high rates.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is ending their aerobic training early so they have time to do their abs. The longer you stay in your aerobic zone, the more your glycogen levels continue to decrease. This increases the percentage of energy used from stored fat. Remember: the last twenty minutes of your hourly aerobic workout are your most efficient.

You can do your ab work anywhere. We can hardly think of a place where you can't drop and do some crunches. You may look silly but you get our drift. However, there isn't a Stairmaster, recumbent bike or your favorite treadmill everywhere. If you are truly serious about getting a great looking stomach, spend those extra minutes burning your stored fat aerobically.

3.Build More Muscle
    If a 150-pound woman converts 10% of her body fat to muscle, she will burn about 300 extra calories per day. It's a physiological fact! This is a great metabolism boost.

The down side to this is, building muscle is not an easy task and is also a very inefficient way to try to lose body fat on its own. It is also important to realize that you can't spot train those extra inches away from your problem area(s). Doing crunches for your abs, squats or lunges for your thighs and butt or triceps extensions for the backs of your arms will only build a great muscle underneath the layer of body fat.

That being said, when you have the first two steps of this process down, then put your attention on your abdominal work.

If you want to know exactly how your food intake is matching up with you exercise output login to fatburn.com. Register and use the meals, activities and summary pages. This process will allow you to closely track your weight-loss progress. Good luck!
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    Well put!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I know I have a 6 pack, and that fat is a protective covering for it:bigsmile:

Good info I need to get more aerobic exercise in, but I need to get rid of this pesky cold first. One thing I would like to add is that you can not "convert fat in to muscle", you can lose fat and build muscle. But one can't be converted into the other. The only reason I mention this is because we say that term all the time, and I actually think there are people out there that think they can turn fat into muscle, which is just not possible.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Or as my beachbody coach says: "Abs are made in the kitchen." :smile:
  • hibbler22
    Options
    I know I have a 6 pack, and that fat is a protective covering for it:bigsmile:

Good info I need to get more aerobic exercise in, but I need to get rid of this pesky cold first. One thing I would like to add is that you can not "convert fat in to muscle", you can lose fat and build muscle. But one can't be converted into the other. The only reason I mention this is because we say that term all the time, and I actually think there are people out there that think they can turn fat into muscle, which is just not possible.

yeah people do think that, all you can do is add muscle and do cardio to lose fat, and by adding muscle it will help you with the cardio to burn more fat calories.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    My six pack is the fridge. :laugh:

Seriously though, good info...it's taken me a year to start seeing my abs :grumble:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Seriously though, good info...it's taken me a year to start seeing my abs :grumble:

Meant to say "in" the fridge...joke wasn't as funny with a typo. :grumble:
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    more people need to read this!
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    that was great article thanks for sharing that information!!!
  • hibbler22
    Options

Meant to say "in" the fridge...joke wasn't as funny with a typo. :grumble:

lol, i read it so quick i didnt even catch the typo untill you said something! dang i cant wait to see my abs i have so much fat and its only that section :grumble:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    thsmalldancingman.gif