How much is "enough" exercise?

Options
How much is "enough" ? how do you determine that? 3 times a week? more? Does it matter as long as you are still moving forward with your weightloss? I have been doing 5-6 days a week buring ~400 each workout, but I am finding it harder to fit in everyday (I have to do my workout at 5 AM durning the week and its getting old, lol). I have heard at least 3x a week, but I seriously feel like a slacker if I take more than one day completely off - plus I am only on 1200 calories so I don't get to eat very much and that makes me sad, lol.

Anyway, how do you determine how much is "enough" exercise? How much do you exercise?

Teresa

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It really depends what you mean by 'exercise' and what you are trying to achieve. Last time I checked the recommendations for health (and it was a couple of years ago) it recommended an hour of moderate exercise (e.g. walking) 'most days' ie ideally every day but obviously sometimes there will be exceptions. It used to be that or 20 mins intense activity e.g. running 3 x per week but I think they may have increased that since then. If you are not a naturally active person (ie you have a sedentary job, you drive a car to get places, you don't walk around a lot during the day) then it's probably best to at least do something each day (for a healthy person).
  • himiller3
    Options
    Personally, I think "enough" is completely up to the individual. If you feel like you can do more (reasonably of course), then do it! As long as you remain active and healthy, it shouldn't be a big concern.

Eventually, as you lose more weight and become stronger from the exercise you currently do (at least it was this way for me), you will become more active automatically and do more.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    First, is your 1200 cal safe? Where did you get that number? I ask because you shouldn't be dieting and be sad. You may not be eating enough which could cause problems, fatigue, and halted weight loss. If you are using this site to count your calories, I'd suggest putting everything in and include your workouts as well. You need to try to hit the number as close as possible, but not go under by much.

Workout out too much, the best way to tell is to really listen to your body. You should be a little sore, but that soreness should somewhat subside once your body gets into the routine of working out. If you are in absolute pain, I'd stop. This is all I can offer in limited information. I hope this helps:)
    How much is "enough" ? how do you determine that? 3 times a week? more? Does it matter as long as you are still moving forward with your weightloss? I have been doing 5-6 days a week buring ~400 each workout, but I am finding it harder to fit in everyday (I have to do my workout at 5 AM durning the week and its getting old, lol). I have heard at least 3x a week, but I seriously feel like a slacker if I take more than one day completely off - plus I am only on 1200 calories so I don't get to eat very much and that makes me sad, lol.

Anyway, how do you determine how much is "enough" exercise? How much do you exercise?

Teresa
  • smashingroses
    Options
    I guess I think the opposite. I think if you can exercise 3 times a week for an hour than that's great! I also think if you fluctuate from 5-6 days to 3 days, then back again, that's great too. I think we get on this vicious cycyle of " oh no! I didn't work out every single day!" and then we get stressed and then we gain a couple pounds back. Just really continue to watch what you're eating, but try changing it up a little. You do still need your beauty rest to remain healthy.
  • projectrunalot
    projectrunalot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the original poster, but I'm "on" 1200 per day because I am five feet tall. It's perfectly safe to do that (but not below that) especially if you're a fairly short person. And I just have to say, way to go because that gal's lost 58lbs! Hurrah!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    try eating some of your exercise calories back, and i haven't looked at your diary, but are you eating nutritious foods? drinking water? - Protein is essential when exercising as it helps your muscles recover, as well it helps keep you full longer.

Listen to your body, if your hungry eat... especially if your burning calories exercising and you hungry. I HATE that this site makes every go panic if they do/don't eat 1200 calories, everyone is different !
  • Yovocheko
    Options
    this is the American College of Sports Medicines recommendations for "enough" exercise:

Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Body Composition
    1. Frequency of training: 3-5 d•wk-1.
    2. Intensity of training: 55/65%-90% of maximum heart rate (HRmax), or 40/50%-85% of maximum oxygen uptake reserve (V(dot)O2R) or HRmax reserve (HRR).1 The lower intensity values, i.e., 40-49% of V(dot)O2R or HRR and 55-64% of HRmax, are most applicable to individuals who are quite unfit.
    3. Duration of training: 20-60 min of continuous or intermittent (minimum of 10-min bouts accumulated throughout the day) aerobic activity. Duration is dependent on the intensity of the activity; thus, lower-intensity activity should be conducted over a longer period of time (30 min or more), and, conversely, individuals training at higher levels of intensity should train at least 20 min or longer. Because of the importance of "total fitness" and that it is more readily attained with exercise sessions of longer duration and because of the potential hazards and adherence problems associated with high-intensity activity, moderate-intensity activity of longer duration is recommended for adults not training for athletic competition.
    4. Mode of activity: any activity that uses large muscle groups, which can be maintained continuously, and is rhythmical and aerobic in nature, e.g., walking-hiking, running-jogging, cycling-bicycling, cross-country skiing, aerobic dance/group exercise2 (213), rope skipping, rowing, stair climbing, swimming, skating, and various endurance game activities or some combination thereof.
    Muscular Strength and Endurance, Body Composition, and Flexibility
    1. Resistance training: Resistance training should be an integral part of an adult fitness program and of a sufficient intensity to enhance strength, muscular endurance, and maintain fat-free mass (FFM). Resistance training should be progressive in nature, individualized, and provide a stimulus to all the major muscle groups. One set of 8-10 exercises that conditions the major muscle groups 2-3 d•wk-1 is recommended. Multiple-set regimens may provide greater benefits if time allows. Most persons should complete 8-12 repetitions of each exercise; however, for older and more frail persons (approximately 50-60 yr of age and above), 10-15 repetitions may be more appropriate.
    2. Flexibility training: Flexibility exercises should be incorporated into the overall fitness program sufficient to develop and maintain range of motion (ROM). These exercises should stretch the major muscle groups and be performed a minimum of 2-3 d•wk-1. Stretching should include appropriate static and/or dynamic techniques.
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    Guideline not rule: If you eat then you exercise. It doesn't have to be hardcore all the time just as long as you get your heart rate going and yes Yoga/Pilates/Stretching are considered exercise.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It's only enough if they have to roll you out of the gym.

Just kidding.

It really depends on your goals. Before I got pregnant, I was in the gym 5 days a week for 2 hours a day. And I was burning around 1000 calories each day. Now that I have the new baby I have to reassess my priorities so I go 4 days a week for an hour. I'm losing the same amount of weight as I was before.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Sorry and I agree with you. It is dependent upon weight and activity level. I just didn't want her to be too low. If she doesn't have enough energy to support her exercise and if she is unhappy, she will eventually put that weight back on:( That's all. I was asking, I'm not personal trainer and am fairly new to this as well.
    I don't know about the original poster, but I'm "on" 1200 per day because I am five feet tall. It's perfectly safe to do that (but not below that) especially if you're a fairly short person. And I just have to say, way to go because that gal's lost 58lbs! Hurrah!
  • Sindis
    Sindis Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey, everyone is different. If you feel sad and over working out and to few calories. You feel like its getting old. Change it up a bit. Work out at a different time of day. Maybe do 2 short work outs, or get out doors doing something physical or playing with family or animals. Also increase your calories. 1200 may be okay for some, but if you feel sad and like things are old, you may not stick to it for long. You might give in soon. So lift the limit on your calories and you will feel a little more at ease. I have also heard of some people working out all the time and eating perfectly but not losing much weight. Then they relaxed on the food side a bit and gave themself more room to breathe and eat things and exercised the same. They had more energy and lost more weight. Sometimes your body becomes to accustomed to what your giving it. A change might shock it back into "hey this is great" leave it like that for a while, I am not saying eat whatever you want. I would just raise it maybe to 1300 or 1400 for a couple weeks and then go back to your strict diet of 1200 and exercise that got you thus far. Your body might just need that exrtra fuel to keep you from feeling sad and tired of your exercise. Just to get you through the day.
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    I am only on 1200 calories so I don't get to eat very much and that makes me sad, lol.

Teresa

I totally feel you...I am on 1370 cals, and when I don't exercise, I find it a bit harder to stay under my calorie goal. As far as exercise time though, it all depends on your goals. Technically 3x per week is sufficient...and if you feel awful about skipping days, work harder on the days you can get in exercise. What you don't want to do is burn yourself out and get discouraged trying to exercise 5+ times per week, when you just don't have the time.

Good luck :)
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I workout 6-7 days a week for 60 to 75 minutes. 3 days are strength training and 3 are aerobic, those are pretty much mandatory (per me, if I skip 2 days a week than I feel like I cheated) the 7th day is either a fun day or a rest day depending on how I feel. I also burn about 350 - 400 calories in my workouts. I will walk/run a mile after my strength training if I need to burn some extra calories or burn more time. I work out in the morning, alarm goes off at 4:30am. But this has gotten to be a habit for me. I've been doing this for 6 months now and if I don't work out in the am then I just feel yucky all day, kinda slow and not really with it. So I guess it just depends on you. How you feel and if your happy and comfortable with what your doing. I don't know how long you've been working out in the am, but there are days that I just don't want to get out of bed, some days I make myself and others I just roll back over........ and feel guilty the whole time.

Oh I should add that I eat most of what I "earn" and that really helps my 1200 cal limit. Today for instance I did not want to get up and workout but than I thought.... if I work out than I can eat more,,,, yeah, that got my butt up.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for the classics: three days of cardio and two days of weight training per week. But if it's hard for you to fit it in try combining those together for just three days a week so you don't feel guilty for skipping
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sorry and I agree with you. It is dependent upon weight and activity level. I just didn't want her to be too low. If she doesn't have enough energy to support her exercise and if she is unhappy, she will eventually put that weight back on:( That's all. I was asking, I'm not personal trainer and am fairly new to this as well.

1200 calories is based on my BMR and a 1000 calorie a day deficient for 2lbs a week loss. You misunderstood my post - it wasn't about being hungry or sluggish, I am neither - it was about feeling guilty for not wanting to drag my butt out of bed at 5am, 5 days a week : )

(And yes I do eat my exercise calories, so the more I exercise the more I get to eat...)

I guess I was just looking for guidelines or how different people determine what is enough exercise for them. Obviously it depends on your weghtloss goal, how soon you want to reach it, fitness goal (training for a 5k, etc.), how much time you have, etc, etc.

Anyhow just adressing some of the concerns that were expressed ( the getting old' was purely in reference to that 5am alarm!) I have lost 58 lbs and have 50 more to go - I have no intentions of stopping now : )

Thank you all for your input. I think iill let myself slack off to 3 days during the week + sat/Sunday and see how that works : )
  • KayeRichards
    KayeRichards Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For my 2 cents - I think it's up to each individual, their age, what they eat etc. For me, I dislike exercise, If I had to workout 5,6,7 days a week, I would give up, I know me and I just wouldn't be able to keep it up. I do callanetics 3 days a week roughly about 45mins, it's like pilates. I'm losing weight steadily and my body is pulling in and muscles are really firming. This I could do for the rest of my life, it doesn't take up too much time and if I only get to do it twice a week, it still works. That's me! :happy:
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Oh dear I must be a slacker. I only walk my three dogs for 40 minutes a day, go swimming when I have time and do Aqua Aerobics once a week. My calorie allowance is 1410 and I eat all my calories earned by exercise. I'm set to lose a pound a week but regularly lose 1-2 pounds a week so happy with that. I'm 62 yrs old so age doesn't appear to make a difference losing weight