paleo diet and goals

Options
Hi there! I am writing this post because I need some input from other paleo/primal followers. This post is not to start a debate so please don't post anything negative! Thanks!

I am new to paleo and have been on it for almost 30 days. I have lost 14 lbs so far. I feel fantastic. I have more energy and I feel rested. My skin has cleared up and I have a glow now. It's amazing! But anyways to my question... I am not sure where my carbs, protein, and fat goals are supposed to be. What should my percentages be? I try to get enough protien but I can't meet my goal everyday... and my carbs I stay between 50-100g a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• MartiJJohnston
    Options
    BUMP!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    There is a group on this site that are strict Paleo followers... I'm more primalish. I allow dairy and alcohol, although limited. I focus my macros so that my Protein is about 120-140 g, CHO around 75-100 g and Fats lower only because I find a higher fat plan doesn't work for me.

Sounds like you are in the right direction with your nutrition and your loss reflects that. Good Luck
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think carbs under 100 is great. I don't do paleo but I have toyed with it. I set my macros to 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat and have a hard time hitting my protein goal consistently.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my ratios around 10% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat.

The only way I can get my fat that high is to eat an avocado and at least 2 tablespoons of coconut oil every day or I would never make it to the 70% level.

It sounds like your on the right track - you will have to toy around with ratios that work for you.
  • joyfulmommaof2
    joyfulmommaof2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you all for your input. I just worry because I feel like I don't get enough protein in!
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing strict paleo, but more towards primal and only about 80% of the time... Anyway, here's what I do in regards to macro's... Take it for what it is... One non-expert's opinion...

- First, I shoot for 50-100g of carbs. Set your goal to the percentage that gets you close to this.

- Then, I shoot for somewhere between .8 and 1g of protien per pound of lean body mass. I am 220lbs, with 25% BF, so I have about 165 pounds of LBM. Therefore, I set my goal for protien to whatever percentage get's me somewhere around 165g.

- Whatever is leftover percentage wise is my fat goal.

- I recognize however that when excercise raises my caloric goal for the day, my goals for protien and carbs raise with it. Because of this I don't look at my percentages for the day as much as I used to. I tend to focus more on the grams of carbs (max) and protien (min), and less on the percentages. In practice this means that on a day where I have extra excercise calories, I may well eat more fat than a non-excercise day. This is actually often the case for me, but I also don't mind if my carbs get over 100 (still under 150) on excercise days occasionally. I figure there is functionally no max limit for protien, so I let that go as high as it will.

Hope that helps some...
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I do Primal, not Paleo, but I set my carbs for 10% and my protein and fat for 45% each. It's working for me. You will probably have to play around with it to find out what works best for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    There are no etched in stone macro ratio's, regardless of what someone tries to preach.

All the data regarding H-Ger's is compiled in what is called the Ethnographic Atlas and when they looked at the 220 H-G sites they concluded that the average macro split was 65/35 A/P (animal/plant) which took into account all the variables. Which basically accounted for the seasonal availability of food stuffs based on latitute. Basically you do what feels best because compliance doesn't need confounders.
  • joyfulmommaof2
    joyfulmommaof2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info! I guess I must be doing something right because I feel really great! :)