Vegans!!

Options
I have decided I am going switch to a vegan diet 6 days a week starting November 1st. I am doing it for the health benefits and to improve running and become very lean. Any of you vegans out there have any tips on what is the best soy milk, what you normally eat, good recipes, etc....? I have heard that some people have stomach issues when they switch to a vegan diet. Is that true? I just need good advice on how to make the switch. I don't eat a lot of meat or dairy anyway. The only thing is I do love milk and need to find a good substitute for it. Thanks

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Do you know what the difference is between vegan and vegetarian?

(quick: google it)
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    I have the most amazing Vegan Rap you should watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajEX3wuTziY&feature=player_embedded

It will not disappoint.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes, i know the difference. Thanks though.......
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I should warn you that I got big and fat as a vegan. It's not a "diet". And now I am having to work just as hard to lose weight as a vegan as a veg or an omni would.

Almond milk is way better than soy. Trader Joes has good soy protein powder for cheap.

Good luck.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Almond breeze for milk is great!!! My daughter loves it, we started with anilla went to original then to unsweetened, it works great! I am on my way to being vegan so I understand, feel free to add me!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Almond Breeze milk is my favorite, I like it with hemp protein from TJ's.
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A word of caution re: almond milk. It is not a good source of protein, so I wouldn't consider it a replacement for dairy milk.
  • exploremore2011
    Options
    Almond Breeze milk is my favorite, I like it with hemp protein from TJ's.

^this is good. I like coconut too ;)
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    there are tons of recipes online, and tons of milk substitutes. Hemp, almond, soy, rice milks are all delicious. There are also soy yogurts and cheese replacements that work really well. Be careful though, many of the pre-packaged 'meatless' items still have egg/milk in them. Usually vegan items will say vegan somewhere on the product, but if not just read the ingredients carefully. Gardein products are really delicious if you cook them right :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    A word of caution re: almond milk. It is not a good source of protein, so I wouldn't consider it a replacement for dairy milk.

But it is a good source as an alternative to soy juice, as I don't recognize processed soy liquid being passed off as "milk."
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Pardon my grey poupon but you are going to switch to a vegan diet 6 days a week? Does a 7th day not exist in your universe? I'm just curious.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but going vegan is a LIFESTYLE change. People become vegans by not only not eating any kinds of animals, but they don't wear anything animal related, they don't talk about fight club, and it becomes a true part of their beliefs and lifestyle against ANY kind of animal harm.

Am I correct Vegans? If I'm not, please accept my apologies.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with almond milk. Almond Breeze is good or make your own- it's super easy! Rice and coconut milk are good too.

I've been vegan for 3 weeks now (was vegetarian for a year first), no stomach problems- my digestion is better than ever.

I recommend The Kind Diet... great book and healthy alternatives so you don't eat everything (just cause it's vegan) and gain weight. My issue is getting away from the processed vegan food.

Also, www.nomeatathlete.com is a good resource for athletes on a vegan diet.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me and check out my food diary for ideas! :bigsmile:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What will you do on the seventh day? There isn't part time veganism.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Pardon my grey poupon but you are going to switch to a vegan diet 6 days a week? Does a 7th day not exist in your universe? I'm just curious.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but going vegan is a LIFESTYLE change. People become vegans by not only not eating any kinds of animals, but they don't wear anything animal related, they don't talk about fight club, and it becomes a true part of their beliefs and lifestyle against ANY kind of animal harm.

True, vegan is a lifestyle change, but if someone chooses to just eat a plant-based diet for health reasons, that's entirely their decision. Probably not classified as 'vegan' but she just said vegan 'diet'. Diet is just what a person eats.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i was vegan for 11 years. I support you in eating vegan 6 out of 7 days a week. Do what works for you. I think the people who are being defensive of the concept of veganism are maybe confusing the idea of eating vegan with the idea of being vegan.

To be vegan is to be 100% vegan. Though I'd argue about the wearing of animal products because for 11 years I was vegan but i wore second hand leather shoes and I believe that was in line with my ethics. When I was vegan, I was offended by people saying that they were vegan when they really weren't so I can see what they are thinking. But you never said that. Also, I lived as a vegan for 3 months before I felt comfortable calling myself a vegan.

But to eat vegan 6 out of 7 days a week is a FANTASTIC idea! I say YOU GO GIRL!

In fact, friend me! Because I was vegan for 11 years (and through one pregnancy!) I have a vegan child and am now feeling ready to go vegan again myself!
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There is a great site out there by the PCRM (Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine) they have a 21 day vegan kickstart plan that is starting the beginning of November. It has recipes, gives you a food plan, and you WILL NOT GAIN WEIGHT on this because it is balanced eating. Most people who gain weight as vegetarians or vegans eat processed foods or simple carbs, so they will gain weight. This vegan lifestyle is made up of fruits, veggies, legumes and whole grains.

This is the website: http://www.21daykickstart.org/

This is the 4th time this year that they have done it and it is amazing !!! They are doing it in India, so I imagine a lot of the dishes will be of that cuisine. I hope this helps. I am a vegan, had to go gluten free recently due to an auto immune hypothyroid issue I have, so I have added some fish and chicken back into my diet recently, but come November when this starts again I am there with ya sista !!!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    i was vegan for 11 years. I support you in eating vegan 6 out of 7 days a week. Do what works for you. I think the people who are being defensive of the concept of veganism are maybe confusing the idea of eating vegan with the idea of being vegan.

To be vegan is to be 100% vegan. Though I'd argue about the wearing of animal products because for 11 years I was vegan but i wore second hand leather shoes and I believe that was in line with my ethics. When I was vegan, I was offended by people saying that they were vegan when they really weren't so I can see what they are thinking. But you never said that. Also, I lived as a vegan for 3 months before I felt comfortable calling myself a vegan.

But to eat vegan 6 out of 7 days a week is a FANTASTIC idea! I say YOU GO GIRL!

In fact, friend me! Because I was vegan for 11 years (and through one pregnancy!) I have a vegan child and am now feeling ready to go vegan again myself!

:flowerforyou: Thank you for saying it.

@OP -- If this is what you want to do then go for it! It's a great way to start thinking about food differently. But remember --- there are many unhealthy vegan choices, too. Vegan choices are not necessarily equal to healthy choices. When I was eating a vegan diet, I didn't have any issues. I was eating vegan after eating vegetarian or pescetarian for a few years. Also, I love milk but I never went with a milk replacement except in recipes or baking. I just stopped having it because almond or soy milk, while they can be delicious, do not resemble milk to me at all.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I am doing it for health benefits as I said in my initial post. I am allowing myself 1 cheat day a week because I do like chicken, tuna, cheese, and milk, and I still want my subway sandwiches occasionally. If I was doing it for the moral reasons then yes it would be a 7 day a week change. I don't see anything wrong about that. Sorry if that offends you but I want to do what works for me. Maybe after a few months its something I want to continue 7 days a week, 100% strict but I would rather ease into slowly
  • neckburg
    neckburg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    please "friend" me if any of you need to add a little light hearted sarcasm into your life. i've been eating vegan for the past 3 years and would love to support others who are living the same way. i don't care who's the MOST vegan on this site. i'm too busy for that crap. :) here's to safety in numbers! cheers :)