Birth Control

Options

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    IUD all the way. I'm on the Mirena, which is an IUD with extremely low-dose hormones. Unlike the regular copper IUD, it doesn't cause insanely heavy periods, in fact, i barely experience any period at all. The hormones are so low that they don't effect your body (or your mood!) and it is extremely effective.

My doctor would NOT put me on it because I haven't had kids, or any other woman that hasn't had a kid yet.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Nuva ring.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been on two types of pills, both in the low hormone category and haven't noticed weight gain due to them. Any weight gain was due to lifestyle changes rather than the pill. Really, the best thing to do is talk to your doctor. Different pills work differently for different people - they are not one size fits all and each has a different ratio of the various hormones. Its okay to try them and find the one that works best for you.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using the Energizer method. So far, no negative side effects.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    IUD all the way. I'm on the Mirena, which is an IUD with extremely low-dose hormones. Unlike the regular copper IUD, it doesn't cause insanely heavy periods, in fact, i barely experience any period at all. The hormones are so low that they don't effect your body (or your mood!) and it is extremely effective.

My doctor would NOT put me on it because I haven't had kids, or any other woman that hasn't had a kid yet.

Hmmm... different doc? I know lots of women who have had IUDs and haven't had kids. Hurts like a sonofa**** when it gets put in (especially in non-gravida women), but there are docs who will do it for you. It does not affect your ability to have children later.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I went on gianvi (generic for beyaz) the same day I started MFP. I've lost 37lbs in the 4 months since then. My moods are normal now :)
  • Salexan13
    Options
    I'm definately not getting an IUD bc I don't have any kids. I just had a miscarriage last month so I'm already afraid that something is wrong with my body. Plus I don't want to wait 5 years to have kids. Maybe nuva ring.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Mirena is the only BC that has allowed me to lose weight. Depo I gained alot of weight (but I also wasnt being healthy)

Every woman's body is different
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm definately not getting an IUD bc I don't have any kids. I just had a miscarriage last month so I'm already afraid that something is wrong with my body. Plus I don't want to wait 5 years to have kids. Maybe nuva ring.

Your choice, but just to let you know, you don't have to wait 5 years with an IUD. You can have it removed at any time, technically. That said, if you don't want that type of protection, it's your choice because it's your body! :)
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Implanon and Nuva Ring are both great non pill options taht allow you to change your mind fairly easily when you are ready to have a baby.
  • nitasimmons2
    Options
    I will have to go with skierxjes for a number of reasons... I've done the shot, Nuvaring and now I'm using Implanon and I believe that it's the best one yet. I didn't go with the pill because of the responsibility and timing that is a condition of its effectiveness. The shot definitely did a number on my weight. Nuvaring was ok, until I saw one of those scary, "Do you know anyone who has used the birth control Nuvaring and has had these deadly side effects?" commercials and dropped it like a bad habit. I thought about the Mirena, but heard that my husband would be able to feel it--and not so pleasantly. So, I tried Implanon and haven't had any mood swings, weight gain, problems remembering a dosage schedule, or trouble tracking my period and it lasts just long enough for me to decide whether or not I'm ready for another bundle of joy :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I went off Depo after gaining 5 pounds in 6 years (I KNOW!!)

Then I gained 60 pounds stuffing my pregnant face. That 60 pounds is now 125 pounds of backtalking tweenager.

What I wouldn't give for those original 5 pounds...

:flowerforyou:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I like the depo shot. It takes 15 minutes out of my life every three months and I don't have to worry about anything. I started MFP at the same time, so I gained zero weight using it.

Of course, there have been others who experience problems with it. Similarly, I know someone who got a pulmonary embolism from Yaz. Everyone responds differently.
  • JayTeah
    JayTeah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A low estrogen pill has been my best bet after trying the shot, the implant and the IUD.

The shot, I gained 30lbs, got extremely hormonal and had migraines.
    The implanon (implant in your arm) gained 30lbs along with ballooned arms and thighs.
    And the IUD, unless you have had a child, not recommended.

Talk to your Doctor - - Any of the above options could actually work out for you. I have a girlfriend who has been on the shot for years, she has not gained weight and not gone crazy. You never know.

Body Types - - we are so different

Good Luck
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I went off Depo after gaining 5 pounds in 6 years (I KNOW!!)

Then I gained 60 pounds stuffing my pregnant face. That 60 pounds is now 125 pounds of backtalking tweenager.

What I wouldn't give for those original 5 pounds...

:flowerforyou:

Would you give your first born child? My mom's offered me to Costco so many times.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    P.S. Depo shot turned me in to a homicidal maniac. I was on it for like four years and I should have been committed.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have implanon and no weight gain. It's my second one and I love it.
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. I am on Ortho-Tricyclin Lo. I have adjusted fairly well to the hormones, but have gained weight on it.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    How about condoms? You might gain a little bit of weight on the pill, but you'll probably gain more if you get pregnant. Plus at the end of your pregnancy a little person will force its way out of your vagina and then it moves in with you makes noise forever. But you'll have a lot less sex once they start bouding into your room in the middle of night. I think they sense a competetor is potentially being created.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

YES! ^ Cyclebeads work wonderfully.... (as long as your cycle is pretty 'normal). it's pretty much the calendar method, but you get to keep track on cute little necklace-like beads.