Question about tummy exercises & very large tummies.

Options
Okay so you get the basics from the title, but my question for you all is if I have a large tummy (which I do) then is there any point of me doing toning exercises right now until I start to lose a significant amount? I mean, I'm doing arm exercises, leg, back, but it's really hard to do tummy exercises to the point that I feel like they're actually effective. Let me know your opinions.

Replies

• sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yes, you should be doing core exercises. this supports your body and protects your back. just because you may not see the results until you lose weight you will benefit from the improved strength.
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    They are very much effective and will build muscle. And... Muscle burns fat. :)
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    in my opinion you have to start somewhere. you may not think youre doing anygood, but you are. i do some crunches, squats, i go for a walk even though im currently sick. i lift weights. making sure i tighten my tummy muscles. just think 18 min a day of cardio can get you started on the right path. i hope that helps some.

maybe walking/power walking will be a better start?? or more effective?
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Work every inch of your body- once the % of fat decreases enough you will be glad you did! Plus you can burn more calories when you have more muscle to work with
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Building muscles under that layer of fat will help that layer of fat melt faster. You don't want to lose the weight and have the dreaded tummy hang. I know I will always have a small pooch, but that's because I have spat a kid out. I know some people recover from that, I just don't think I am one of those (however time will tell one way or the other).
  • awil85
    awil85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive always had an issue with my "6month pregnant" tummy. but once Ive started doing my Ab workouts daily its really gone down.. Its still there but not as much. My trainer has me doing 500 Abdominal Reps a day. You can pic which ever ones you want to do. But Believe me it works... I even only did 300 the 1st week 400 the next couple. I just made it to 500 today. You shoud try it!!!!
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i think you should continue to do ab work, even if you might not feel its effectiveness. in order for anyone to see muscles, you have to melt off the fat first. when that finally happens, you should see at least the outline of your muscles, but if you haven't worked on them, you won't see them!

i was wondering what kind of ab exercises you're doing because there are other ones besides sit-ups. you can do plank poses, high knees, side leg raises, etc. those might be easier for you to do than sit-ups.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. Any suggestions on exercise techniques for the tummy, then? Aside from crunches, IDK what to do.
  • liaalyn
    liaalyn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ive always had an issue with my "6month pregnant" tummy. but once Ive started doing my Ab workouts daily its really gone down.. Its still there but not as much. My trainer has me doing 500 Abdominal Reps a day. You can pic which ever ones you want to do. But Believe me it works... I even only did 300 the 1st week 400 the next couple. I just made it to 500 today. You shoud try it!!!!

HAHA! 6 months.. I feel the same way. I always opted out of ab workouts because i'm not going to have abs anytime soon..but just recently started. if i'm going to want abs eventually, i might as well start building those muscles now in ADDITION to cardio. I'm glad these posts made me feel better about my decision ! ;)
  • TexasDarling09
    Options
    i think you should continue to do ab work, even if you might not feel its effectiveness. in order for anyone to see muscles, you have to melt off the fat first. when that finally happens, you should see at least the outline of your muscles, but if you haven't worked on them, you won't see them!

i was wondering what kind of ab exercises you're doing because there are other ones besides sit-ups. you can do plank poses, high knees, side leg raises, etc. those might be easier for you to do than sit-ups.

Thanks for that, didn't see before I posted my last post. I did some crunches but nothing else. I'll google these for an instruction lol
  • barwood
    barwood Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    On the Dr. Oz show today he said you should eat low carbohydrate avoid refined carbohydrates, eat anti-inflammatory foods like whole grains and healty fats. Hope this helps.
  • liaalyn
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. Any suggestions on exercise techniques for the tummy, then? Aside from crunches, IDK what to do.

Do your crunches on a stability ball. I have back issues and that makes me feel gooood. ALSO, if/when you use the elliptical, let go. This will definitely strengthen your core because you have to balance :)

ALSO I'm not sure what its called, but do hanging leg raisies. and use a weight and standing straight lean over to each side, that will get your love handles.
  • TexasDarling09
    Options

Do your crunches on a stability ball. I have back issues and that makes me feel gooood. ALSO, if/when you use the elliptical, let go. This will definitely strengthen your core because you have to balance :)

ALSO I'm not sure what its called, but do hanging leg raisies. and use a weight and standing straight lean over to each side, that will get your love handles.

I do the elliptical all the time, thanks for that!
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

YES! About the not holding on on the elliptical! Crank the resistance up and use your body, not the machine's momentum.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Definitely do them!!! Your core supports your body and is key to good posture, no back pain, etc. Try some standing ab exercises: http://www.livestrong.com/article/95556-standing-ab-exercises/

I tried a standing ab routine (and was a bit skeptical I might add), but my abs were SORE the next day.

Also, front and side planks are great.
  • callygirlinmn
    Options
    Great question I was wondering that also.. So guess I will do more tummie exercises!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

I have to do the same. I had back surgery a few years ago and the doctor told me to do crunches on an exercise ball. I found that in addition to relieving stress on my back, I've found that it really isolates the lower abdominals much more than crunches on the floor. The key is to make sure you are keeping your neck straight and not curling your chin to your chest when you come up. When you are lying back on the ball, you should be facing the ceiling. As you come up, make sure your head just naturally follows your body up and doesn't curl in to the chest. You'll really feel it in the lower abs that way.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    You should definitely be doing core/ ab workouts. It often takes a while to see a difference anyways. Once that fat burns off of your stomach you'll be nice and toned. Crunches are great, so are abdominal rotations. There are also different exercises you can do using an exercise ball to help tone the core. Two of my personal favorites are the Reverse Bridge which helps your lower abs and the Ab Rolls on the ball which helps all major core muscles, but this one is not a good idea if you have back problems. I do my crunches on an exercise ball because it relieves pressure off my back so I'm able to do more crunches without having the hard floor beneath me. When I do the reverse bridge I also hold a medicine ball so I have to use more muscles in my abs to keep myself balanced rather then having my arms on the side of me on the floor.
  • TexasDarling09
    Options
    So, I did the elliptical for half an hour, doing one minute intervals where I let go & then held on (I have awful balance) and my tummy is already sore. Thanks lol
  • liaalyn
    Options
    So, I did the elliptical for half an hour, doing one minute intervals where I let go & then held on (I have awful balance) and my tummy is already sore. Thanks lol

Hahahah. Nice! Good work ;)