Vegetarian Chili

Options
husker_gal
husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
I'm looking for a kick *kitten* vegetarian chili recipe. I don't want to put any tofu in it since I hate the stuff...I'm not vegetarian but have always wanted to make vegetarian chili as a "healthier" option. My husband HATES vegetarian soups so the recipe will have to be a very hardy and awesome one. :smile:

TIA! :happy:

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You could use Morning Star Farms "meat" crumbles instead of the hamburger.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I almost always just "wing it" with chili, but here's the basic ingredient list that I usually go with:

canned crushed tomatoes
    onion
    celery
    green pepper
    frozen corn
    kidney beans
    black beans
    any other sort of beans ;)

cooked quinoa and/or cooked hulled barley (not pearl barley) and/or cooked kasha (buckwheat) and/or cooked oat groats.... best if you use more than one of these, but I do think you need at least one of these types of grain to give it the "hearty" feel that chili should have. The kasha gives it a really nice warm flavour throughout - I like kasha + barley the best.

Season with chili powder and/or cayenne, bay leaves, pepper, salt, and whatever else you like to throw in your chili! So easy to make (just throw all in one pot and add your grain later! I cook my grains in a rice cooker usually!). Even better the next day after the flavours develop.
  • sarina78
    Options
    I make one based on capsicums its really yummy & very fulling

1 onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 red capsicums
    1 green capsicum
    i can red kidney beans
    400g tomatoes, i use fresh ones but you can use canned
    1 stock cube
    chilli powder, depending on how hot you want it
    salt
    water to just cover the veges

dice onion & garlic & cook add chilli powder
    dice capsicums and add to pot & cook for a couple of minutes
    add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for about half an hour, towards the end of cooking use a potato masher to mash the mix a bit, the kidney beans mashed help to thicken the chilli
    add the rest of the ingredients
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You could make it with TVP - Texturized Vegetable Protein.

3 cups water or vegetable broth
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon garlic
    1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
    1 Teaspoon Cumin
    1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, entire can
    1 1/2 cups of TVP (reconstitue to make soft with warm water)
    1 can drained beans (pinto, kidney or black beans)
    1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

Place oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is soft. Add broth/water, tomatoes, beans, spices, and TVP. Heat thoroughly. Adjust seasonings if desired. You can double the recipe to have leftovers.
  • BeetL
    BeetL Posts: 5
    Options
    I use the same list of ingredients as a-stronger-steph. I use as many fresh ingredients as possible, depending on the season. For example, if you can get corn on the cob, roasting it and cutting chunks off the cob into your chili gives a really nice flavor. I also find that chili is better the next day, so cook ahead if you can. Cooking slowly to let the beans and corn thicken up the tomato sauce helps too.

We often do chili when we have family gatherings with vegetarians and meat-eaters because it is easy to start with a vegetarian chili base (tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic, onions, beans, corn, celery, red, green and jalapeno peppers) and then separate into two pots. Add meat to one, and more veggies (zucchini or summer squash) to the other. Set table with sour cream, grated cheese, and guacamole as condiments. Garnish chili bowls with corn chips, and dig in!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!! :smile:
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Brings back memories of very tasty chili meals while working on papers...
  • Red5446
    Red5446 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian, but mostly eat vegetarian, because I'm currently living in the Midwest, where sustainable, fresh fish that doesn't break the bank is always in short supply. This is my all time favorite chili recipe:
    2 1/2 cups kidney beans raw
    6 cups water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup tomato juice
    1 cup bulgur
    2 teaspoons olive oil for saute
    4 each garlic cloves crushed
    1 1/2 cups onion chopped
    1 cup carrots chopped
    1 cup celery chopped
    1 teaspoon basil *
    1 tablespoon chili powder or more to taste
    1 tablespoon cumin ground
    1 x salt and black pepper *
    1 dash cayenne pepper to taste*
    1 cup green bell pepper chopped
    2 cups tomatoes fresh, chopped
    1/2 each lemon juice of
    3 teaspoons tomato paste
    3 teaspoons red wine dry*
    1/3 cup cheese *
    1/4 cup parsley leaves fresh chopped
    * Nutrition Facts
    Directions

Put kidney beans in a saucepan and cover them with 6 cups of water.

Soak 3-4 hours.

Add extra water and salt. Cook until tender (about 1 hour).

Watch the water level, and add more if necessary.

Heat tomato juice to a boil.

Pour over raw bulgar.

Cover and let stand at least 15 minutes.

(It will be crunchy, so it can absorb more later).

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil.

Add carrots, celery and spices.

When vegetables are almost done, add peppers.

Cook until tender.

Combine beans, bulgar, sautéd vegetables, tomatoes, lemon juice, tomato paste, and wine and heat together gently, either in kettle over double boiler, or covered in a moderate oven.

Serve topped with cheese and parsley.

I like to use half black and half kidney beans, and I usually alter the recipe to use canned. I usually double the recipe and leave out the bulgur to make a low calorie, freezer-friendly meal, but it's quite a hearty meal when left in.