Tips to stay on track on the weekends?

Options
For me, like many others I'm sure, it's hard for me to stay on track on the weekend. There's less of a routine or schedule, there are parties or dinners out, and many other occasions that always seem to contradict all the hard work I put in during the week! What are your best suggestions, tricks, or tips that help you stay accountable on the weekend? Ready, set, go! :)

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Well since it is the weekend, get in a couple bigger workouts to offset the additional calories you'll be taking in. For me I do most of my refereeing, as many as 4 or 5 games a day (300+ minutes of running on the soccer fields) and it burns thousands of calories. Let's me splurge pretty much guilt free.

When I don't have games, I get up early and go out for a one to two hour bicycle ride. Great way to start the day and burn off a thousand or more calories right away.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most weekends I don't. What I do is increase my activity level to make up for my lack of self control. If I have a planned outing I make sure I stay pretty healthy the rest of the day but I just sort of go with it otherwise. I generally don't feel either deprived or guilty and I'm still losing weight. I've got about 10-15 lbs to go or one more pant size. I don't plan on changing my habits much once I reach my goal either other eating at a maintenance level.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    More free time on weekends means more time for exercise - I actually find the diet easier on weekends because of that!
  • sinilau
    sinilau Posts: 20
    Options
    Great tips!
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i have the myfitnesspal app on my phone, which allows me to automatically log everything i eat when i'm out, and keeps track of my intake and gives me something to reference all the time. (that's how i manage, on top of just plain taking time to exercise [i try to stay in my weekday routine when it comes to the exercise])
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    SEMPER PARATUS! Always be prepared! :smile:

I am under doctor's orders to eat every three hours, and sometimes I'll be out running errands and realize it's time for me to eat again. I have an alarm set on my phone, so as long as the phone is with me, I won't forget to eat even when my routine is disrupted. But if I'm caught out far from home and surrounded by nothing but fast-food joints, that's not good. So I've learned to keep a mixer cup and a baggie of protein powder in my car at all times; if all else fails, I can go to a water fountain & mix myself a protein shake. I also keep healthy snacks in my purse, in case I'm out with friends and they want to go to the movies a ballgame or someplace where they'll be snacking on things I can't have. I can just eat my own food & not feel left out.

Second thing is to plan ahead. If I know ahead of time that we're going to a certain restaurant, I google the menu & try to find options I can eat. Then I write those options on a notecard & bring it with me, and when we get there, I don't even look at the menu, just order what I've already decided I can have.
  • jennipooh82
    jennipooh82 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom during the week and a "wife" on the weekends, my boyfriend is a truck driver. It can go either way for me. Seeing he's on the road all week and eating nothing but fast food, junk and sometimes nothing I can cook whatever I and he'll eat it, but sometimes he gets a taste for something that has nothing good in it (like those Banquet things with tons of sodium,fat and calories! (ya no)) So I make a salad, make something that has less calories, or skimp on that part I don't like and have extra, extra veggies. I feel bad saying that because I have two kids and I know that I was always brought up to eat what mom made, we weren't a "restaurant", but my kids eat what is put in front of them and they know mommy is trying to loose weight to be better for them...